“Good Home Base for Business Trip”

DoubleTree by Hilton San Diego - Del Mar
Ranked #81 of 278 Hotels in San Diego
Fairview, Pennsylvania
“Good Home Base for Business Trip”
Reviewed October 16, 2010

I stayed at the Doubletree in Del Mar for two nights during a business trip in October.

Pros:
-Rooms. Clean and well appointed. Bed was comfortable and double blinds sealed out all light from the adjacent parking lot. Nice, spacious bathroom.
-Bar/Restaurant. Despite alternatives within driving distance, we ended up back at the Doubletree bar both nights of our visit. The food is good and the multiple large TV's indoors and gas fireplace tables on the patio make it an appealing spot to hang out and enjoy some drinks. Our waiters and bartenders were friendly and made us feel at home.
-Location. The Doubletree was very close to to our client site and convenient to Route 5, so getting to and from the airport was easy. A car is required to get to the beach, or shopping and dining.

Cons:
-Lack of free internet in rooms. This is just inexcusable and a big reason why I dinged the hotel on value. Both the wired and wi-fi options in the room are $10/day.
-Elevator outage. The Doubletree has two elevators, but one was out of service for the three days we stayed. This meant LONG waits for the one operating elevator and overcrowding, particularly in the morning. At five stories, the property really needs both elevators operational and I'm hopeful that service was restored following our departure.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled on business
DoubletreeDelMarGM, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton San Diego - Del Mar, responded to this review, November 3, 2010
Thank you for taking the time to review the Doubletree Del Mar.

Thank you for taking the time to review the Doubletree Del Mar.

We apologize for the inconvenience you experienced while one of our elevators was out of service. The maintenance required to upgrade the door mechanisms took longer than expected but both elevators are now up and running!

The Doubletree Del Mar team looks forward to welcoming you back to San Diego the next time business brings you to San Diego - America's Finest City!

Richard Sandoval

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (166)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Norwalk, CT
Reviewed October 14, 2010

A MAJOR Priceline BARGAIN. Beyond a bargain.......the hotel, the service, the room, the bed....all excellent.....A bit away from the beaches, but in the end I am glad we didn't stay anywhere else. A very nice bar/restaurant, great pool with very plush towels, nice fitness center, free fresh coffee in the lobby. Upgraded to a PUR room....TOTALLY WORTH IT. The room was VERY clean and I had zero problems with my asthma.
FREE parking. VERY pleasant front desk and restaurant staff.
I HIGHLY recommend this hotel. PS the cookes AND the apples were great.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
Thank you very much for your review.

We are very happy that you had a great guest experience at the Doubletree Del Mar.
Many of our guests that suffer from allergies are enjoying a better night's sleep in our PURE Allergy Friendly Guestrooms, with specially treated air and surfaces and hypoallergenic bedding encasements.

Orcutt, CA
Reviewed October 12, 2010

Upon arriving this location the parking lot was spacious, clean and well lit. The front dest agents were helpful, and quick w/the fresh cookies for me and my family. The room was more than we expected. The bedding, and pillows were extremely plush and comfortable. The bathroom was clean and up to date. The flat screen tv was definitely nice to have in the room. The pool area was extremely family friendly. The pool was heated and the kiddie pool was a total plus for my little ones. Our family loved our stay at this location!

• Stayed October 2010, traveled with family
Thank you very much for your review of the Doubletree Del Mar. It is always great to hear when we exceed our guest's expectations.

We hope that your family chooses the Doubletree Del Mar on your next visit to San Diego.

SoCal
Reviewed September 6, 2010

We stayed here for a few days while enjoying a stay-cation in San Diego. The hotel is conveniently located about 20 minutes from Sea World and the San Diego Zoo and there were plenty of restaurants, both high-end and casual, for easy meals.

Entering the hotel's parking lot is slightly tricky, but if you miss the first driveway, you can turn at the next light and enter via the business park entrance. The front desk staff were a joy to deal with and everytime our kids walked up to the desk, they were readily presented with warm chocolate chip cookies (yummy).

The hotel and our room were very clean, but I was disapointed with the lack of a safe in the room. Most rooms provide a safe, so I took it for granted that there would be one and I was sadly mistaken (lesson learned).

I've read several reviews complaining about the thin walls, but I can't say that this was my experience. Additionally, we asked for a poolside room (which we received) and the view was great. Our kids could play in the pool while we watched them from the room.

Speaking of the pool, it was great! It had plenty of room to move around, plus there was a small wading pool and a separate jacuzzi. Since the hotel is located within a business park, there weren't very many families staying here, so we didn't have to deal with a gaggle of screaming children. Don't get me wrong, we traveled with our kids, but they're older and I just don't have the patience for young, screaming kids. My only complaint (of the pool) is the landscaping. The jacuzzi sits right beside a huge palm tree that drops flowers and other matter into the water, making it difficult to soak without becoming covered in this stuff.

My only other complaint, is the elevator situation. Both elevators have a rear door that is used by the cleaning staff. I am not above riding on an elevator with service staff, but I DO NOT appreciate being packed in like a sardine with 5 maids and their laundry carts. The elevators (comfortably) fit 5-9 adults (9 being on the generous side and only if you have no bags). As I rode down from the 4th floor, the elevator stopped at each floor and the maids ( who failed to use common sense) just kept shoving themselves in with their carts. I had to paste myself up against the wall to avoid having my feet rolled over by one of the carts. I appreciate efficiency and making the most of a space, but that should not come at the expense of guests.

Our room rate included daily breakfast, which was pretty good. I can't say that the food was anything to brag about, but it was convenient and the servers were very attentive. Also, the free parking was great!! Most of the area hotels charge anywhere from $15-30 PER DAY for parking.

Overall, I was happy, but without the cookies it's just any other hotel.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
Thank you very much for your review of the Doubletree Del Mar and for allowing me the opportunity to address your concerns.

• Though we do not have safes in our guestrooms; we do have safety deposit boxes available for our guest's valuables.
• Since your visit, the Doubletree Del Mar has been busy with outdoor renovations that include landscape improvements, beautiful resort style furniture and inviting fire pits that enhance our patio and pool areas.
• We apologize for the inconvenience you experienced while using our elevators. The property was limited to one elevator while the other was being upgraded to allow them both to be more efficient.

The Doubletree Del Mar team looks forward to welcoming you back on your next visit to sunny San Diego!

Missouri
Reviewed July 27, 2010

Stayed here with family while visiting Sea World and the zoo. The hotel is about 12 miles from Sea World and the zoo. The hotel is about 2 miles from the beach (State Park) which was very nice. The room was nice clean, and had nice beds. The hotel is located in a coroporate area and is not located near shopping or dining.

Pros: clean, very large pool (with seperate shallow kiddie pool), safe location, near beach (by car only), easy highway access

Cons: no refrigator in room, no free wifi in room (free in lobby area), breakfast was $14.95/person, room was expensive,

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family
1 Thank TotalDisneyFreaks
DoubletreeDelMarGM, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton San Diego - Del Mar, responded to this review, August 30, 2010
Thank you for choosing the Doubletree Del Mar! We are pleased that you had a pleasant guest experience during your stay with us and hope that you return to the Doubletree Del Mar soon. On you next visit, you may want to take a short walk to the Piazza Carmel Shopping Center where shopping, dining, services and more are all offered right in our neighborhood!

Richard M. Sandoval
Phoenix, Arizona
Reviewed July 21, 2010

Great hotel, good front desk clerks, clean comfortable room, but we left our 2 expensive pillows..close to $200 for both, in our room and headed home back to AZ. Dealing with Deanna in the Lost and Found department was a nightmare!! She wanted to ship them but would not tell me how much. She just wanted a CC #. I was not comfortable giving that to her and have to wind up paying $50 to have my pillows shipped to me. We don't have that much money..sad, but true as is with many people now a days. So, I told her I'd try to find a friend that was heading to the area and have them come get them in the next few weeks. I found someone and called Deanna back to tell her (the 2nd week they were left there) and she got all mad and said that she needed to know what day my friend would be there and I told her that she was going to call me when she knew what day she could head over. Deanna said "well, I need to know what day she is coming. Thank you" and she hung up on me!! GREAT customer service! She also said that they could not hold things longer than 3 weeks. Well we were good on that time frame then. That was a week and a half ago. Today, I called to inform them that my friend would be by to get them this afternoon. And Deanna pretended that she didn't know who I was, and tried to tell me that I must have stayed at a different Double tree hotel..what the?? She continued to play stupid and said she would call me back. When she called back, she all of the sudden DID remember me but said that the pillows were shipped last week. I asked if they were shipped free of charge because I never gave a CC # and never consented to that. She said that someone called and gave a CC# I told her that no, in fact no one ever did and asked what the Fed X tracking # was and she said they could not find it. I said that they had never been shipped then. She again said she would call me back. Never heard from her called and talked to a manager..who said they would call me back and hung up w/o even taking down my phone number. I waited an hour and called back and called Deanna out on the fact that she was annoyed with me and therefore got rid of my pillows. She said again that they couldn't find them but they were shipped last week by Hannea at the front desk...RIGHT! She asked if I wanted them to send me 2 of their Down pillows and I said no, I want a check for my $200 pillows or a 2 night complimentary stay. She sounded shocked at the request, said she would talk to management and call me back. I would not stay here again just because of this, but if you don't plan on leaving anything in the room then the hotel was alright.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family
Reviewed July 10, 2010

We contacted the Doubletree for a very short notice banquet and they were EXTREMELY accomodating (as opposed to the Woodfin, which due to location, had been our first choice). Because of the timing of my fathers death we were hastily arranging his funeral for a Monday afternoon on the Friday afternoon beforehand. We tried the Woodfin first as they were closer to the funeral home, but when they didn't get back to me by Saturday at noon because "nobody from sales and catering was available till Monday morning," I called the Doubletree. Pinky at the front desk located the executive chef, Bob Kennedy, within 10 minutes. He was extremely accomodating and got us set up for Monday making a stressful situation very easy for us. Admittedly, I have not stayed at this hotel, but if their commitment to service is anything like I saw in this short notice situation, you would make a good decision if you stayed here (especially vs the Woodfin in Sorrento Valley!).

• Stayed July 2010
The Doubletree Del Mar team thanks you for the opportunity to make a stressful time a bit easier for your family. We look forward to welcoming you back under different circumstances.

Best Regards,
Residence Inn San Diego Del Mar
Residence Inn San Diego Del Mar
#106 of 278 in San Diego
Homewood Suites by Hilton San Diego-Del Mar

Been to DoubleTree by Hilton San Diego - Del Mar? Share your experiences!