“Great Location...Great Value...Great Service!”

DoubleTree by Hilton San Diego - Del Mar
Ranked #62 of 279 Hotels in San Diego
Southern California
“Great Location...Great Value...Great Service!”
Reviewed July 8, 2010

We've stayed here four times within the past 2 months and each time it just keeps getting better (thanks Ramaz & Barbara- great management...and Tim & Brandon for great shuttle service!).

We've stayed both as a couple and with teenagers.

We are very practical travellers and really like great value amenities as well as feeling like we are valued guests. If you look at my other reviews, you'll see that we look for practical amenities as well as great customer service.

First of all, even though it's a "business center" location- who cares...it makes it less expensive and they have free shuttle service to approximately 4-6 miles. We love just parking- for free!- and never having to use our car 'til check out! THANK YOU TIM & BRANDON! You guys are awewome!!

So, it's a given that we love the free shuttle. We also love the free cookies (thanks Barbara for always giving us extra!! :) as it saves us money from buying desserts- especially with teenagers in tow :) And they also provide free water bottles & apples which also saved us a little $$$ too (does eating apples cancel out the fat/calories from eating their decadent, sinfully delicious cookies????)

The free parking is great and much appreciated. I've read several other hotel reviews and man oh man, hotel guests (myself included) HATE having to pay extra for parking. You'd think they'd get a clue! So kudos to DT DM for offering this nice perk!

The best tip we got on our first visit was from our shuttle driver, Tim when he took us to Torrey Pines State Park in Del Mar (Conveniently located 1.5 miles away from the hotel). Ever since he introduced us to this gem (shame on me for being a SoCal native and never exploring the great hiking they offer here!) we go there every time we visit DT DM. A+++

The hotel is very nice & clean, but I really wish they'd enforce the no smoking outside the front doors. Fine if you wanna smoke, but please don't force me to get lung cancer by blowing your nasty smoke in my face! San Diego REALLY needs to follow San Luis Obispo, which I hear is like the first 100% smoke-free city!! Good for them; I hope other CA cities follow suit...for our health & children's health!

Pool: First time we went, very cold water. The next few times, nicer & a bit warmer. They only have 1 jacuzzi and it's pretty much kid soup all the time (they could still heat it a little more in my opinion, but it's better than other pools I've been in). B-/C+

But they really need to put soap in the pool bathrooms, both the men/women's didn't have soap, YUCK! My only complaint (but it's w/ all hotels) is when these parents bring their little kids/infants in the jacuzzi. They need to have an adults only jacuzzi or 16+ and over (and enforce it). It's really hard to relax w/ screaming 'lil kids splashing water at you (or heaven forbid, pooping & shutting it down!).

Rooms: First few times we got a one bed room in corner and it was really noisy (traffic), the last time we got two beds in room in better location which was way quieter, so that's what we'll be requesting from now on. Very clean, standard room. whhile comfy, I do wish their beds were bigger. It's really hard to get a good night sleep in a double bed. So from now on, even when travelling as a couple, we'll be getting the two bed room. Rooms: B/Beds: D

Nice amentity: they'll accomodate you if you have special needs. I needed fridge/microwave for my meds (and they normally charge), but didn't charge me. I hate being nickel & dimed so this was very appreciated and another sign of great management! A+++

Housekeeping: Pretty good, they provide extra towel, replenish whatever you ask for, etc. A

Business Center: Nice 'lil perk - even though there's only 2 computers- it's free & they let you print stuff for free. Wow, nice classy service. Way to make us feel valued! A+

Gym: Small, few machines/weights. We never used it, but there's a water cooler in there which is nice so you don't have to drink warm tap water (or just go to front desk & they give you free water bottles). C

Overall, I think this hotel is best for:
1. Business Travellers
2. Practical couples who want great value/bang for their buck

Note: July 2010 they're undergoing renovations of their restaurant area

Special thanks to:
Barbara- a total gem (hope your cut is healed!)
Ramaz- what a gentleman, always calling us as we check in to ensure everything is to our satisfacation
Tim- a very well mannered shuttle driver- total sweetheart
Brandon- another great shuttle driver who's a total sweetheart
We had less interaction with (but also positive experience): Tom & Kent

Overall, this DT is very well managed. Every time we do our little SD escapes, this is the hotel we'll be seeking out to be staying at. We are LOYAL customers and have told all of our friends how wonderfully well we've always been treated (yes, the cookies do help! ha ha!).

We expect to stay here several more times this year...and in upcoming years.

If you have questions, feel free to ask.

Have safe & happy travels!!

2 Thank SoCalTravelGal

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (158)
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
San Francisco, California
Reviewed July 6, 2010

We really enjoyed our stay at this hotel. We have previously stayed at the Marriott across the street, but preferred the Doubletree.

Pros:
Yummy cookies at check-in
Extraordinarily friendly and helpful staff
No parking fees
No business center fees
No resort fees
Nice room with flat screen hotel
We had a view of the pool and tropical garden instead of the air con system like we do when we stay at the Marriott
Reasonably priced room service

Cons:
Don't care for the sliding bathroom door - hard to maneuver, especially late at night
Took forever to pick up room service dishes that were left outside rooms - hours and hours - even after we called. Seems like it would attract insects or even rodents. This was pretty disgusting. How hard is it for the housekeeper or someone to make rounds a few times a day to pick up the trays?
The location is in a business park and you really need a car if you stay here. It isn't far from either downtown San Diego (maybe 20 minutes driving) or the beaches up north.

Aside from the few negative points above, we really enjoyed our stay and would definitely return.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
Phoenix Arizona
Reviewed July 6, 2010

We chose this hotel because of our dog. It is pet friendly! There is a "potty" area near the front entrance which was very convenent. The hotel is located in an business office area with lots of grassy areas, safe for exercising your dog. The hotel staff were very friendly. The room itself was average but very clean. Beds were extremely comfortable. The breakfast buffet came as part of our stay, lots of chooses, very tasty. The pool, jacuzzi, and "baby" pool were very nice. All in all we had a great time.

Negitive- sliding bathroom door very difficult to open, carpet was worn, could not get hooked up to WI-FI.

Miami Beach, Florida
Reviewed June 23, 2010

I arrived at this hotel on June 19, 2010, staying one evening. I am a Silver Hilton Honors member and impressed by this beautiful hotel. I arrived early and was able to get to my room around 11:00 a.m. Tom, who was the front desk professional, helped me in this regard. Tom was also helpful in acknowledging my birthday that same day and gave me waters and cookies. He also helped coordinate a shuttle ride, I needed.

My room was #506 and was clean and bright and overlooked the pool.
I used the business center on two occasions and found it quiet and helpful.
The pool area is very beautiful and relaxing too.

This particular weekend was super busy because of the San Diego Fair. I was told that the shuttle driver was taking me directly to the Fairgrounds. Halfway through the ride, the driver, whose name I did not get, but he was a young man about 26, he informed me that he could not take me all the way to the Fairgrounds that he was dropping me off at a bus stop at the Horse Grounds and I would be driven by another bus to the Fair. That he had to get back to the hotel to drive other guests. It is a shame he couldn't have told me ahead of time. I was stressed out because he was truthful from the beginning. Otherwise I would have taken a cab. I am from Florida and am not familiar with this area.

I ate breakfast the next morning in the restaurant. I had the buffet and it was okay, not great. Cynamon was very professional.

Upon check out, Ramez was the front desk professional and helped me to my destination of Camino Road by driving the shuttle there.

So kudos to Tom, Cynamon and Ramez for helping me in their fair city.

• Stayed June 2010
1 Thank Leigherton
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed June 17, 2010

We signed up for a room with two Queen beds. We got a room with one Queen bed and a sofa pull-out. We called down and were told there were no King beds or two queens available now but a room was being cleaned and we could get that; that we should leave our bags in the room and the luggage would be moved when we got back.

We had to attend a function so when we got back 5 hours later; a little before 11pm, we checked with the front desk. Our things had not been moved and there was no obvious room available. The guy at the front desk hemmed and hawed and finally offered us two rooms. "Oh, you are married? " He said. "I guess then I can offer you a king size bed in the Junior Suite." So we dragged our own bags from our old room to the new room.

Meanwhile, at the from desk I noticed that a woman with a small child who showed me her printed Expedia confirmation, was being held up by another front desk woman who had said she had no listed reservation despite the confirmation. She had actually called Expedia, been put on hold, left it on speakerphone at the front desk and walked into the backroom leaving the front desk unmanned for the whole time we were there. It was almost 11 at night and this poor woman and a child were being held up because of this. Poor form.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
Mesa, Arizona
Reviewed June 1, 2010

We stayed here over Memorial Day Weekend, so the hotel was fully booked and we were aware that our kids would have to share a sleeper sofa. We were however a little surpised to find that with the sleeper sofa open- it was pretty much wall- to - wall beds. Whoever was sleeping on the outside had to climb over the bed to get to the bathroom since there was no walking room. This was definately the smallest hotel room we've ever stayed in.

Also, the queen bed (not the sleeper sofa) was in need of a new mattress. It was so "sinky in the middle" that two people are very, very uncomfortable.

The hotel was at least very clean and quiet.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with family
DoubletreeDelMarGM, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton San Diego - Del Mar, responded to this review, June 4, 2010
I am sorry to hear about your challenge with the room type. At the DoubleTree Del Mar we value guest feedback and take pride in providing a positive guest experience. The next time you are at our property please try our rooms with 2 quuen beds, as I am sure this will provide a mcuh improved experience for you and your family.

Richard Sandoval
Sofia, Bulgaria
Reviewed May 30, 2010

This hotel has adhered utterly to the letter of the law in creating a wonderful visit. From the easy parking to the high ceiling entry and in and outdoor pools all will satisfied the traveler….. or will it? The Bar alone will harbor 75 visitors and the elegant restaurant just across draws one endlessly to drink from its bounty and linger into the night with conversation. For those looking for the best made industrial resting spot, you have arrive at your destination. But it’s not how great it looks but how it makes you feel. It’s the spirit of the place. The warm attentive reception, the energy in the bar, the uplifting of the spirit and anticipation of a lovely experience. The latter weary travelers need not apply here but those needing to look good rather than feel good, enter her gates with joy.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled with family
Hilton Garden Inn San Diego Del Mar
Hilton San Diego/Del Mar
Residence Inn San Diego Del Mar
Homewood Suites by Hilton San Diego-Del Mar

Been to DoubleTree by Hilton San Diego - Del Mar? Share your experiences!