“Unreliable And Less Than Honest”

DoubleTree by Hilton San Diego - Del Mar
Ranked #61 of 279 Hotels in San Diego
phoenix
“Unreliable And Less Than Honest”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 27, 2010

We travel a lot -- worldwide. Have never encountered anything like this and we generally like where we stay hotel wise.

We booked a multi-night stay through Hotels.com that included breakfast. I had the print out of the reservation stating that the rate included the breakfast buffet. It's not a hotel I would have chosen without it, as it's in an industrial park and a bit of a drive from the sites we wanted to get to in La Jolla and MB. They had a decent rate and it looked ok, so we thought we'd try it.

The front desk clerk and the manager of the hotel refused to honor the rate because "it was too low of a rate for them to do it." ?!? They were rude and uncooperative. Phoned Hotels.com to enforce the rate. They called and were unable to get the mgt. to cooperate. Haggled with them for 2 days and then called Hilton Honors. Someone up the food chain finally slapped them up side the head and got them to comp the breakfasts we were entitled to. BTW, couldn't ck out because we had paid in advance and it was non-refundable. They really had us.

Hilton Honors and Hilton Mgt. was superb in their customer service and communication. Will stay at the Embassy Suites in La Jolla or another chain in Del Mar before coming back here -- better location, better breakfast, nicer rooms and better service for about the same price. Ridiculous that I should have to spend one minute of my vacation with rude staff who are intentionally breaching a contract because they're too cheap to honor it.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
3 Thank racine

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (152)
  • Korean first
Chicago, IL
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 18, 2010

As my business in San Diego was in North County, the Doubletree Hotel San Diego/Del Mar made for a very convenient location, and turned out to be a very satisfying stay. Room, bath were comfortable, with a nice pool view. I enjoyed sitting out on the terrace, nibbling on some delicious and reasonably priced snacks. The pool and garden setting is landscaped lovely, and makes for a nice respite. While the hotel lacks self-service laundry, the helpful staff was able to advise me of nearby venue, plus Radio Shack, local restaurants and a Supercuts. This was my second visit, and I will gladly return.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled on business
North of Chicago
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 8, 2010

I stayed at the Doubletree in early Feb 2010. The hotel itself is beautiful, but expensive. The rooms, landscaping, and personnel were all very nice. There is a small resturaunt that serves wonderful food, but the hotel is within walking distance to a mall with a bunch of other restuaunts.

Let me start off by saying that I have never had to change hotel rooms during any hotel stay. My huge gripe was regarding my room. I checked in around 9PM and was placed on the 2nd floor near the elevators. The floor to the room vibrated as if there was some sort of ceiling fan on the floor below. I was extremely loud, frequent, but sporatic. By 10:30 PM I couldn't take it any longer and told them then while I was already unpacked for tonight that 1st thing in the morning I would need to change rooms.

When I went down the next day to change rooms there was a list of people who called and complained about the noise because the front desk person referred to a list taped to the phone. My new room was still on the 2nd floor. The vibrating noise was not as loud and the floor did not physically move, but I could still hear the noise.

Later that day, I saw they had placed another customer into the room I vacated earlier. I couldn't believe that someone else would have to endure that noise/vibration so I voiced my concern to the new front desk person. She said that they knew about the issue and it was a problem with the elevators and they were considering converting the rooms into conference rooms. I told her that they should fix the problem and NOT place people paying good money into those problematic rooms. She just shrugged her shoulders.

I could not believe that no one from the corporate Hilton office is aware of this issue! This speaks very poorly for Hilton quality and I strongly feel if they were aware of the situation, it would be resolved. I placed a complaint with Hilton and am awaiting a call from the site manager.

So while the hotel was nice, until they resolve the 2nd floor elevator/room issue, I would not recommend this hotel unless you can obtain a room on an upper floor.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled on business
Mission Viejo, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 28, 2010

This is a little gem of a hotel, only a mile or two from Del Mar beach. When first approaching we were a little discouraged that it was in a corporate office area right off of the highway. But once you step inside, you are warmly greeted with a chocolate chip cookies which makes everything better! :-)

The rooms are decorated very nice! We had a view of the pool which was also pleasant (and not noisy). The rooms are stocked with Neutrogena cosmetics (including sunscreen!), and there is a Wolfgang Puck coffee machine which is nice.

There is a really nice pool that is quite relaxing too.

We booked on Priceline and paid $52 - bargain! For breakfast we simply drove to the beach for coffee and bagels because the breakfast prices at the hotel were a bit cha-ching.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
Phoenix
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 18, 2010

We recently stayed two nights at the Doubletree Del Mar booked through Expedia. When we arrived we were promptly greeted. Without asking, we were upgraded to the Horton Suite, in the southwest corner of the building, top floor. (5th floor) (IMO the nicest suite in the Hotel) For $145 a night, this suite was the size of two standard rooms with two large flat screen tv's, two phones, and a king size bed that was excellent to sleep on with extra pillows. The room was bright with great views to the south and west (ocean), a great view of the pool area, quiet, and more than spacious. The HVAC had two separate controls that promptly heated and cooled the space while not being too loud. Our stay included the breakfast buffet for two which was great . . . . It had all the things I would expect for a hearty breakfast as well as low fat and/or vegetarian options, if preferred. We may not get the same room again, but I would definately consider staying at the Doubletree Del Mar again if in the area. What a great value for the money.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled on business
Ottawa, Ontario
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 24, 2009

Stayed for 1 night, December 4. Reserved one room with Priceline at the nightly rate of $45 USD. I was specifically looking for a hotel in the Del Mar area and expected this hotel to be the one that I would get.

After sightseeing in Los Angeles and Anaheim, my friend and I arrived in San Diego in the evening. The desk clerk was very helpful in checking us in and gave us each a traditional Doubletree chocolate chip cookie which was still warm!

The double room (543) was quite modern and luxurious. There were five pillows on each bed, and the flat screen TV and Wolfgang Puck coffee maker made for a high-class atmosphere. However, the bathroom was very run down. There was only a sliding door that didn't lock, while the towel rack couldn't support the weight of two sets of towels and was already sagging off the wall anchors.

I thought that there would be complimentary Internet at the hotel, but it wasn't to be found in the rooms. High speed wireless connections were available for $9.95 a day, but for free Internet you had to go to the business center. There were two terminals there with access available 24 hours a day.

Located close to the highway, there isn't much to do within walking distance. Parking is free, and it is essential to have a car if staying here. For dinner, we ventured to the nearby Souplantation (3804 Valley Center Drive) by accident while driving through some business parking lots. The salad, soup and pasta buffet was a good change from the fast food I had for most of the trip.

A quick drive across the freeway leads you to the coast, including the Pacific Ocean and the Torrey Pines State Beach. I drove a little further to check out the Torrey Pines Golf Course. I plan on playing the South Course ($218 USD visitor rate) someday, but it will have to be on a return trip.

If I do come back to play Torrey Pines, I would not hesitate to book a room at the Doubletree.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled with friends
San Francisco
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 26, 2009

Doubletree in Del Mar has a great pool / jacuzzi - My room was located on the first floor with a view of the pool area. Although I was here on business, I felt like I was at a resort in Hawaii. Breakfast buffet was included with the room. Restaurant is excellent! Room service was quick. Room was large, updated and well appointed. Free parking and internet. Easy access to freeway and short drive to San Diego sights!

• Stayed October 2009, traveled on business
Residence Inn San Diego Del Mar
Hilton Garden Inn San Diego Del Mar
Hilton San Diego/Del Mar
Homewood Suites by Hilton San Diego-Del Mar

Been to DoubleTree by Hilton San Diego - Del Mar? Share your experiences!