“Great stay near the fair!” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of DoubleTree by Hilton San Diego - Del Mar

DoubleTree by Hilton San Diego - Del Mar
Ranked #59 of 279 Hotels in San Diego
Las Vegas, NV
“Great stay near the fair!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 19, 2009

I stayed the Doubletree in June of 2009 with my girlfriend when visiting from Vegas. We booked the room on Priceline for $69 + tax, which was a great deal for the area. It wasn't exactly in Del Mar, but it was very close and the hotel had a free shuttle that took us to the fair. Of course the cookies are great at the front desk. My only real complaint was that the room had a queen sized bed and not a king. Oh well.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (152)
  • Korean first
Helena, MT
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 27, 2009

Very nice Hotel. Warm cookie on check-in was just what the kids needed after 5 hours on a plane. Check-in was quick and easy. Staff couldn't be better. Only fault is the kiddy pool was cold. But the rest of the pools were very nice.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled with family
Schererville, Indiana
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 12, 2009

We've stayed at this hotel twice now. Both times have been fine.
Of course you get the tasty chocolate chip cookie. I like free parking. Rooms are comfy.
The rooms are small-ish though. The bed has enough space to walk at the foot of it. Because the coffee table is there. Beyond that is a couch. Don't get me wrong, it's nice to have a couch, but the location isn't the greatest. The couch blocks access to open & close the curtains, and to the thermostat.
Bathroom is adequate sized. Nice Neutrogena toiletries including face wash & a small tube of sunblock.
The parking can be tight. What I decided is that as you pull in if you look for the perpendicular line that goes along the aisle those spots seemed to be smaller. Head toward the far side of the lot on the freeway side, or actually on the side of the hotel, and the spots are a bit wider. The narrower spots aren't awful, but if you need to un-load items from the backseat of your vehicle it's tight and you have to be really careful not to hit the neighboring car. If you don't have the additional insurance on a rental car I'd avoid these spots because of other drivers around you.
There were a TON of dogs! I like dogs, but wow. I swear every time during the weekend that I was going in or out someone was taking their dog(s) out for a walk. On Sunday morning all I could hear in my hallway were barking dogs.
At times the music in the hallways was a bit on the loud side. Didn't help that they played a lot of Top 40-ish stuff.
During our stay, on Sunday I believe (checked out on Tuesday), one of the elevators broke. The elevator situation wasn't the greatest to begin with for the number of rooms and with one down it was awful. For some reason you had to hold the button on the 1st floor to get the elevator down. 224 rooms, which were mostly full on the weekend due to a kids soccer tournament, one elevator was just awful. Plus the elevator was on the small side.
Comfy bed. Good location for what we were in the area for. Good freeway access. I'd definitely stay again.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled as a couple
Calgary
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 28, 2009

I can say with complete confidence that we were 100% impressed with this hotel from check in to check out. Hotel staff were superb, rooms were bright, well finished, and very clean. Even though the hotel charges for Internet, I was able to get free WiFi. Pool is amazing, in a quiet area with lots of trees. Hotel features a very large and odd shaped outdoor pool, and both a wake pool and hot tub. Bathroom is modern and like the rest of the facility very clean. The only complaint I have is the fitness room was not very well vented which meant I was sweating bullets.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled on business
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
New Mexico
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 27, 2009

We landed here randomly via Priceline, and were really grateful. It's a lovely hotel -- great beds, nice little gym (very well-equipped), breakfast is pricey but good, amazing cookies for the asking at the front desk, nice Neutrogena toiletries in the rooms (even sunscreen!). But we were just blown away by the kindness of the staff. The manager (whose name I will almost certainly misspell, so I won't even try) was extremely accommodating. Barbara, at the front desk, gave us a coupon for Legoland that saved us $40 -- she just happened to bring it from home on the off chance a hotel guest might need it. The dining room manager. The housekeepers. I could go on and on. Not a single person working at this hotel was ever less than helpful and friendly. One of the most consistently pleasant hotel stays I've ever experienced. We are hoping to go back soon...

• Stayed March 2009, traveled with family
bsbruce
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 19, 2009

This is our hotel of choice in the Del Mar area. The staff is just great and goes out of their way to make you feel important. The rooms are well kept.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled as a couple
New Hampshire
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 1, 2009

$50 on Priceline's name your own price. But I would have the same things to say even if it was full price. We only stayed one night but we found it very convenient for us and the hotel was very nice. The room was spacious, the staff pleasant and helpful and the kids loved the pool. We've pricelined rooms in the past and are always happy with what we get and this was no exception. It only took us 15 mins. to get here from downtown and we would definitely recommend it to anyone who wants to avoid the high downtown prices or be convenient for other things in the area.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled with family
Residence Inn San Diego Del Mar
Hilton Garden Inn San Diego Del Mar
Hilton San Diego/Del Mar
Homewood Suites by Hilton San Diego-Del Mar

Been to DoubleTree by Hilton San Diego - Del Mar? Share your experiences!