“Double Tree Hotel by Hilton, Del Mar, CA”

DoubleTree by Hilton San Diego - Del Mar
Ranked #81 of 278 Hotels in San Diego
San Diego, United States
“Double Tree Hotel by Hilton, Del Mar, CA”
Reviewed October 31, 2013

Like and used the early check in option. Reservation, and desk staff were helpful. The coffee pot in the room was hidden in a pull out drawer and I was not told it was there. I went downstairs to the breakfast to see if I could get a cup of coffee and a cold box of cereal to go, as I had to be at an early meeting and the breakfast was not open for another 15 minutes, I was told I could not have coffee and if I wanted a box(s) of cereal to eat on the way, I had to pay for it. I ended up having to go the entire day without eating as I was unable to get away during the day to get something to eat. The woman at the eating area who refused my request based on 15 minutes, was very rude and condescending. I rated the value as poor as I was unable to take advantage of the free breakfast that was offered as part of my reservation. I rated the service as average because although the desk service was good, the overwhelming rudeness of the woman in the eating area and the fact I had to go without eating for an entire day because of her was pathetic.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton

DelMarDoubleTree, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton San Diego - Del Mar, responded to this review, November 1, 2013
Dear Denise,

I am very sorry for your experience. I actually shared your review during our daily pre-shift meeting today as an example of how associate empowerment should work. There is no excuse; coffee should be available and cereal to go is so easy for our team to execute. I apologize for the rudeness you experienced as well.

Thank you for your business and I can assure you that we learn from your valuable feedback.

At Your Service,

Ian Heffron
DoubleTree San Diego Del Mar

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (165)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Reviewed October 30, 2013

Stayed here for a Friday and Saturday wedding event recently, and was very surprised and pleased. Had never stayed in Doubletree before. The rooms were stylish and clean, with very comfortable beds. They have the fluffiest most luxurious towels! Was not bothered by any noise, as the rooms seem to be well-insulated. REALLY GOOD BLACKOUT CURTAINS!

The most OUTSTANDING feature of the hotel was the uniformly friendly, kind, helpful and intelligent staff! It started with the front desk, and was evident everywhere, right down to the restaurant servers and housekeeping. This alone will make me seek out Doubletree next time I have a need.

I had the hot buffet for breakfast both days, and it was very good. The staff was excellent with my grandchildren.

I loved the free parking (hotel is in a business park) and free wifi, which is why I chose this hotel over the Marriott across the street, where some other family members chose to stay. Overall, it seems that my experiece at Doubletree trumped the Marriott in quite a few ways.

The room rate was also good. I will definitely return to this hotel when I'm in the area!

Room Tip: My room was near the elevators, yet I heard no noise.
Arnhem, The Netherlands
Reviewed October 30, 2013

First of all I think this hotel has a perfect location if you want to visit both San Diego and the smaller beach towns Del Mar and Solana Beach. Check-in was efficient and very friendly. My room was a good size on a higher floor with a nice view of the pool and palm trees.

The room itself was very clean with a comfy king bed and had a nice sofa and updated decor with new paint. I stayed 2 nights very comfortably and enjoyed their breakfast buffet just one morning which was fresh and tasty. If I go to Del Mar again I would probably book this hotel if I can get a good price like this time.

Room Tip: Room on higher floor around the pool is nice because you get a good view
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank GerhardvN
San Jose, United States
Reviewed October 28, 2013

Excellent stay as always. Would highly recommend. Rooms are clean. Staff is extremely helpful. This has become the place that I always reserve when I'm in the San Diego area. The hotel is conveniently located near the freeways but you don't hear any of the noise from the freeway. Overall can't say enough good things about this hotel.

Irvine, California
Reviewed October 27, 2013

The room I stayed at was very comfortable, a nice size, not too small. Wireless internet access was fairly speedy, and the parking lot is large enough to not to have to worry about parking. On things that could be better, the elevator was a bit on the slow side, and I had a room that faced the open courtyard, which could be a bit noisy if you wanted to turn in early. Overall, a very good place to stay, and of course, you get a delicious cookie as a welcome!

Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Princeton, New Jersey
Reviewed October 26, 2013

We got a king size bed and used the pull-out sofa bed for our six year old. The room was a little cramped with the pull-out extended. Check-in was efficient and we got warm cookies for everyone. Parking is convenient with one main entrance/exit. Free wifi and coffee maker in the room. We did not use the pool in October but there are comfy chairs and umbrellas all around with a jacuzzi. The room and bathroom are appointed with modern furnishings and fixtures. The flatscreen is "smallish" by today's standards. The bed is very important to me, and I got a good night's rest. There was some loud hallway noise that woke me up but that is not the hotel's fault. The Doubletree is not that far from Seaworld. The Del Mar Highlands Town Center is nearby and full of great shops and restaurants--very convenient! Bill out the door was $111.

Simi Valley, California
Reviewed October 21, 2013

Great place to stay, reasonable rates, no parking fee and free cookies. We always enjoy staying at this hotel. It is 15 minutes from Sea World and Old Town San Diego but the savings on the hotel room and parking make the 15 minute drive well worth it.

Also consider these accommodations in or near San Diego
#102 of 278 in San Diego
Hilton San Diego/Del Mar
Residence Inn San Diego Del Mar
Homewood Suites by Hilton San Diego-Del Mar

Been to DoubleTree by Hilton San Diego - Del Mar? Share your experiences!