“Nice Price, Good location”

DoubleTree by Hilton San Diego - Del Mar
Ranked #92 of 278 Hotels in San Diego
Reviewed April 3, 2008

The hotel is located in the subrubs of San Diego. SInce we were visiting a friend in University City, we wanted to be close to him yet accessible to all the sights in SD. Teh Doubletree was wonderful! The area has developed so there are more restaurants and coffee shops around, although there are still many office buildings. It is right on the highway so we didn't have to deal with much traffic and getting in and out was fine.
The Doubletree rooms were well kept and maintained, the beds are wonderful! We sat in the hot tub almost every night, not many takers in late December for an outdoor hot tub, but it was warm and clean.

• Stayed: December 2007, traveled as a couple
1  Thank amandab97

Reviewed April 2, 2008

We just spent 4 nights there as part of our family vacation to the San Diego area and we had a great experience at this hotel. Everything was very clean and felt relatively new. Very nice pool and workout facilities. Very convenient to local attractions, including La Jolla, the beach and Torrey Pines. Convenient shopping and restaurants nearby. Great for adults and kids. I highly recommend. (fyi, we paid the std internet rate, somewhere around $140).

Only minor complaint is there is a lot of traffic noise sitting by the pool as it is very near a couple of busy roads.

• Stayed: March 2008, traveled with family
Reviewed March 28, 2008

I landed this hotel via Priceline at a bid of $52.00. The hotel web rate was $139.00. The hotel is located near the 5 and 56 freeways so its very convenient to alot of tourist locations like Torrey Pines State Park. Importantly, this hotel is located near a business park. There is a Marriott and Hampton Inn across the street.

I checked in on a Friday afternoon. There was a little bit of a wait but the clerk was friendly upon check-in. Priceline was mentioned when I asked for a room on a high floor that was quiet. Fortunately, I did get a warm cookie. I was given Room 355 which is down a long hallway and with a view of the business park and the 56 freeway. I could hear car noise when sitting near the window. So the clerk was friendly but really did not honor my request.

The lobby area is relatively small. They have a gift shop right next to the front desk that sells soda and munchies. It is nothing special. Off of the lobby was a bar, restaurant, and meeting rooms. Down the first floor hallway was the pool area, fitness center, and business center.

The pool area was nicely designed although one hears traffic from the 5 and 56 freeways. The fitness room was equipped with a bunch of aerobic equipment and free weights. The aerobic equiptment had small tv's which made the work out go faster. There were free weights to use but no weight machines.

My room was adequate but nothing special. The room came with one queen bed, a desk, and a couch. There were two telephones but no refrigerator, mini-bar or microwave. I don't see it as a family friendly hotel. Also, one pays $9.95 to access the internet. On the plus side parking is free.

The bathroom was nice with Neutrogena products. Towels were fluffly and soft. I thought it was strange the bathroom door was a track that you had to roll to close. It did not roll very smoothly and made the door hard to close. It was kind of a weird set-up.

The hotel offers room service. Prices were expensive so I walked up the street to the local supermarket. They had lots of prepared foods so it was easy to grab a plate of food and walk back to my room. There were other food places in this mall including nicer restaurants as well as Subway like places.

Overall, I cannot complain about my stay especially with the Priceline rate -- but this would not be a hotel I would rush back to.

• Stayed: March 2008, traveled on business
1  Thank hjmover
Reviewed March 27, 2008

We just finished a great mini-vacation with my wife and 5-year old grandson. Great facility. Close to the I-5 freeway. Twenty minutes from the Airport. Close to the beach. We went to Legoland (15 minutes), Disneyland (an hour and 15 minutes) and Sea World (15 minutes). Staff was great. Bar (which I needed after a hard day a Disney with a 5-year old) was excellent. Clean facility. Lots of business travelers, but very customer-friendly for families. Pool and hot tub were great. Made for a great mini-vacation! I recommend this place highly.

Stayed: March 2008
1  Thank DoubleEagleDave
Reviewed March 7, 2008

To begin with, we "won" this hotel through Priceline for less than 1/2 of the going rate on the hotel's website. With that said, I would have still been happy with my experience even if I had booked direct through the hotel for around $139/night. Not only was Priceline never mentioned... to the contrary we were met with excellent customer service. It started with a smiling face and warm cookies for my entire family. We got an unsolicited follow-up call about 10 minutes after entering the room just to see if everything was OK, and to see if we needed any additional service! The room was average size, well maintained, and had very comfortable beds. It is located in a bit of an industrial area, but if you have a car it is convenient to all of the area attractions (it's about 1/2 way between Seaworld and Legoland). As it turns out the only assistance we would require would be after we left. We forgot a pair of jeans that had valuable ear rings in one of the pockets that belong to my 10 year old daughter (they are her only real jewlry, and were a gift from her grandma). I called the front desk from home to see if they could look for them. To my delight I got a call back the next day and they had located the jeans... with the ear rings still in the pockets. They arranged to ship them back to me, and even provided another follow-up call to give me the tracking number! I got the jeans, ear rings and all, 2 days later! Such honest and customer service is very rare these days.

• Stayed: March 2008, traveled with family
1  Thank grram1
Reviewed February 24, 2008

We stayed at the Doubletree Del Mar over President's Day weekend. The hotel is mostly business focused and is located near freeways, in a business park setting. However, we found the location convenient for traveling amongst the various, area attractions, such as La Jolla and Torrey Pines State Reserve.

The hotel itself was nice, clean, and comfortable, with the standard Doubletree cookies at check-in. We had a room overlooking the pool and marsh, which was very nice. The staff was very helpful and friendly. Parking was plentiful and free.

We discovered at check-in that the hotel only have a few rooms (four, I believe) with king-size beds, despite the website listings. Most guests will receive a queen size bed at check-in, even if they requested / booked a king. Also, internet access from the room is only available for a fee.

• Stayed: February 2008, traveled on business
1  Thank JesApe
Reviewed December 27, 2007

Great deal in December. I have never stayed at a Doubletree before, and frankly, I was a bit afraid! (Fairmont and Ritz, yes, but what is a Doubletree?)
It was great. Free Parking. Great cookie w/ check in. Great location. Beds were decent. Not 5 star, but really comfortable. Rooms were clean. Maid service wonderful.
No, we didn't have the beds turned down in the late afternoon, nor were bathrobes provided, but it was a delightful cheap and cheerful vacation, and I would do it again in a heartbeat!
I actually liked the fact you could "do your thing" at the hotel without having to interface w/ alot of employees~
A great stay and I will not hesitate to book there again.

• Stayed: December 2007, traveled with family
Residence Inn San Diego Del Mar
Residence Inn San Diego Del Mar
#111 of 278 in San Diego
Best Western Premier Hotel Del Mar

Been to DoubleTree by Hilton San Diego - Del Mar? Share your experiences!