“Great Vacation”

DoubleTree by Hilton San Diego - Del Mar
Ranked #93 of 278 Hotels in San Diego
Reviewed March 27, 2008

We just finished a great mini-vacation with my wife and 5-year old grandson. Great facility. Close to the I-5 freeway. Twenty minutes from the Airport. Close to the beach. We went to Legoland (15 minutes), Disneyland (an hour and 15 minutes) and Sea World (15 minutes). Staff was great. Bar (which I needed after a hard day a Disney with a 5-year old) was excellent. Clean facility. Lots of business travelers, but very customer-friendly for families. Pool and hot tub were great. Made for a great mini-vacation! I recommend this place highly.

Stayed: March 2008
1  Thank DoubleEagleDave

Reviewed March 7, 2008

To begin with, we "won" this hotel through Priceline for less than 1/2 of the going rate on the hotel's website. With that said, I would have still been happy with my experience even if I had booked direct through the hotel for around $139/night. Not only was Priceline never mentioned... to the contrary we were met with excellent customer service. It started with a smiling face and warm cookies for my entire family. We got an unsolicited follow-up call about 10 minutes after entering the room just to see if everything was OK, and to see if we needed any additional service! The room was average size, well maintained, and had very comfortable beds. It is located in a bit of an industrial area, but if you have a car it is convenient to all of the area attractions (it's about 1/2 way between Seaworld and Legoland). As it turns out the only assistance we would require would be after we left. We forgot a pair of jeans that had valuable ear rings in one of the pockets that belong to my 10 year old daughter (they are her only real jewlry, and were a gift from her grandma). I called the front desk from home to see if they could look for them. To my delight I got a call back the next day and they had located the jeans... with the ear rings still in the pockets. They arranged to ship them back to me, and even provided another follow-up call to give me the tracking number! I got the jeans, ear rings and all, 2 days later! Such honest and customer service is very rare these days.

• Stayed: March 2008, traveled with family
1  Thank grram1
Reviewed February 24, 2008

We stayed at the Doubletree Del Mar over President's Day weekend. The hotel is mostly business focused and is located near freeways, in a business park setting. However, we found the location convenient for traveling amongst the various, area attractions, such as La Jolla and Torrey Pines State Reserve.

The hotel itself was nice, clean, and comfortable, with the standard Doubletree cookies at check-in. We had a room overlooking the pool and marsh, which was very nice. The staff was very helpful and friendly. Parking was plentiful and free.

We discovered at check-in that the hotel only have a few rooms (four, I believe) with king-size beds, despite the website listings. Most guests will receive a queen size bed at check-in, even if they requested / booked a king. Also, internet access from the room is only available for a fee.

• Stayed: February 2008, traveled on business
1  Thank JesApe
Reviewed December 27, 2007

Great deal in December. I have never stayed at a Doubletree before, and frankly, I was a bit afraid! (Fairmont and Ritz, yes, but what is a Doubletree?)
It was great. Free Parking. Great cookie w/ check in. Great location. Beds were decent. Not 5 star, but really comfortable. Rooms were clean. Maid service wonderful.
No, we didn't have the beds turned down in the late afternoon, nor were bathrobes provided, but it was a delightful cheap and cheerful vacation, and I would do it again in a heartbeat!
I actually liked the fact you could "do your thing" at the hotel without having to interface w/ alot of employees~
A great stay and I will not hesitate to book there again.

• Stayed: December 2007, traveled with family
5  Thank girlagogo
Reviewed December 21, 2007

Great location just off the I-5, near to Del Mar and near to restaurants/supermarkets if you want to stay local.
Buffet breakfast was good, attentive staff, bar ok, room was clean, spacious and the bed was super comfy.

Don't stay here if you are on vacation as it is away from the Del Mar/San Diego attractions but for a business traveller, I would definitely recommend.

• Stayed: December 2007, traveled on business
1  Thank chargersfan34
Reviewed December 15, 2007

This whole hotel is a facade. The lobby is nice, but that is where it ends. When I entered the room, the paint on the door was peeling off(why there was paint on the door was beyond me). The floor was hard and felt like I was walking on concrete. The bathroom door is not like a normal door. It slides into the wall, like a closet door. That is fine and good, except ours was stuck in the wall and you could not close it. The beds were lumpy and hard, and the wallpaper was peeling. The glasses for the water were not clean. Most importantly, the window was broken, and we were on the 3rd floor. I checked out immediately, and demanded a full refund. The girls at the front desk were accommodating, and said my credit card would not be charged. A couple of days later, I still saw a hold on my account from this hotel for more than my actual stay would have been. When I contacted the hotel manager to help me with this matter, he was rude and yelling at me, saying MY bank was scum. I wound up staying at the Marriott across the street and they are 100 times better, and for the same price the Doubletree charges!
I plead to anyone who reads this, do not stay at any Doubletree or Hilton brand hotel. The price of this particular hotel is the same as others in the area, and you will get much much more for your money at any other hotel. I hate to have anyone spend their hard earned money and be treated with such terrible customer service.

• Stayed: December 2007, traveled with family
2  Thank calitravelgirl
Reviewed November 20, 2007

Well, first off , there’s the cookie! But the room.. desk with comfy desk chair, couch, dressers, end tables, chairs, 2 phones, 5 lamps! (but without CFL bulbs-shame) NO RECYCLE BIN. Curtains that close! Lotions and soaps nice, great towels, sheets, really clean bath, good workout room (finally!), beautiful pool and Jacuzzi, close to freeways but not too noisy. Good quality coffee and tea in room, lots of cable tv channels, ottoman at end of bed, staff helpful, very good market (organic) and restaurants up the street

Stayed: November 2007
Residence Inn San Diego Del Mar
Residence Inn San Diego Del Mar
#111 of 278 in San Diego
Best Western Premier Hotel Del Mar

Been to DoubleTree by Hilton San Diego - Del Mar? Share your experiences!