“Great Service with a Smile Included”

Harborview Inn and Suites
Ranked #239 of 278 Hotels in San Diego
Reviewed February 8, 2013

The owners were very helpful and kept guests happy. The hotel is conveniently located in Little Italy, a short walk from Downtown San Diego and if you are playing a gig or attending a show at the Casbah, it is literally right around the corner

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
There are newer reviews for Harborview Inn and Suites

Reviewed February 2, 2013

There was value for the location if you want to save money on a stay. It was comfortable and the bathroom was recently updated. If you want to be pampered in lavish surroundings this is not the place for you.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
Reviewed January 5, 2013

I never saw a bed bug so when i found a dead one(red flat disc bug) and brought it to the managers(male& female "indian appearance) they said it was from the tree. Tired & too trusting I stayed in the room. In the morning i noticed blood stains on the bed sheet. The housekeeper never came to clean the room for the following day. I had to request and told the female manager w/the nose jewlery. Upon return to the room the bed had been changed but when i looked closer i saw two more dead bed bugs and tiny ones that exploded with blood when i picked them up & crushed them in a tissue. I noticed a few mattresses in the hallway too but thought nothing of it. I placed the bugs in a plastic cup and brought them to the male indian manager. First he tried to say i brought them but i corrected him by reminding him about bringing the dead one i found on the bed upon arrival and showed to him. Suddenly he said he wpuld refund my money and drove me to Motel 6. I am pregnant and only now that im home I am noticing bed bug bites all over that itch terribly. Thing is these lowlifes knew exactly what it was and instead of shutting down the hotel they pass it off on the guests just to make a buck. Disgusting & criminal.San Diego doesnt even have the proper health dept to deal with this or anything it seems.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled solo
3  Thank gretchen m
Reviewed December 30, 2012

1st room did not have double beds as requested & was the size of a shoe box with a torn shower curtain. 2nd room was located adjacent to extensive renovations, including paint & carpet fumes. Attempted to check out after 2 nights of torture & was refused any refund for remaining 4 nights. 3rd room was further away from the renovations but subjected to an orgy that night & again next morning--despite complaining. Also found the quality of everything to be shoddy. Suspicious stains on the carpet, including a bright red one in 3rd room, paper thin & small bath towels, torn curtain linings, iffy cleaning, a ridiculous excuse for a continental breakfast, and the most incredibly small elevator (hard to fit 2 people & 2 suitcases). Staff was inefficient & unprofessional. Is close to Little Italy but should only be rented by the hour!

Room Tip: Rooms on the parking lot side have significantly less noise than street side.
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
3  Thank Elizabeth M
sdharborview, Manager at Harborview Inn and Suites, responded to this reviewResponded January 8, 2013

We are very sorry your stay was not what you expected. This hotel is a family owned & operated establishment, We listen to our guests and their reviews which is why we are still doing our best to upgrade and are in the process of renovating the last 4 rooms of this hotel. Again we apologize and understand that there isn't ever a good time to complete renovations. This hotel was built in the early 1900's and has a bed and breakfast feel, some of the rooms are small and we do our best to accommodate everyone but we do have a limited number of rooms to choose from and on New Years Eve we were booked. In regards to refunds if your room is booked through a third party we cannot refund you third party money. We are doing our best to make this hotel a great place to stay. Generally our guests are pretty quiet, but on New Years Eve the biggest party night of the year it is difficult to keep all of the guests quiet. Please accept our apologies for your inconvenience.

Reviewed December 1, 2012

Recently enjoyed a relaxing weekend in San Diego. Turned out I was pleasantly surprised at the welcome I encountered. The staff & accommodations went beyond my expectations. The hotel was very reasonable priced & well suited for family adventures in the San Diego area. Check them out

Room Tip: The location is typically "San Diego" C of C.
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed November 28, 2012

I had a great experience, rooms were comfortable and clean, staff was friendly, great location, great restaurants in the area, we ate at Little Italy and it was awesome. Great rates and I will definitly recommend a friend.

Room Tip: This hotel is a small independent hotel all the rooms seemed nice.
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank elizabeth d
Reviewed November 12, 2012 via mobile

I read a lot of the reviews and a lot of them were bad, but I was tremendously surprised with how clean and quiet the property was. I love the fact that it wasn't a chain hotel, it had an independent feel it was quaint. I was in town for the weekend because of a conference. The hotel was only about a mile and a half from the convention center, and I'm used to walking, so this is no problem for me; it also allowed me to experience the wonderful San Diego weather. The hotel was really close the airport which is convenient because although they didn't offer a shuttle, the price of the cab to go to the airport was really cheap about $10.
They offered a free breakfast every morning. Coffee and toast, With a little butter or jam they also have these little Eggo's which were good but I prefer the toast. The amount that they serve for breakfast was perfect for me because I usually eat light for my first meal of the day anyway. But I could see why a lot of people complain about the breakfast.
Lila who worked there at the front desk couldn't of been more helpful. She provided me with an iron and ironing board upon request And gave me plenty of suggestions for things to do while I'm in town. It just reminded me of an old world style inn where The people running the hotel really care about their guests and it's not just some employee with a name tag getting paid hourly to sit behind a desk.
On my last day at the hotel I met Andrew who also works at the front desk. He was such a such a funny guy made me laugh so hard. And he was really helpful in assisting me by calling a cab to take us to the airport. That guy deserves a raise!

Also Andrew recommended a great place to go for a italian food, since Harborview was in Little Italy, And there were tons of italian restaurants in the area, very nice part of town, very safe.

Go to Mona Lisa's they have delicious sandwiches in their deli area, and the best part it's right around the corner from The hotel.

- Max F