“rude management”

Ranked #236 of 278 Hotels in San Diego
Los Angeles, California, United States
“rude management”
Reviewed May 8, 2012

I stayed there this past Saturday night and the guy at the front desk was a complete piece of work. He spent 10 minutes criticizing me and my friend for booking the room through hotels.com instead of calling the hotel. Clearly he is completely clueless because we never would have heard of his hotel if it weren't for hotels.com to begin with. Checking in lasted 20 minutes because the guy at the front desk has a massive stick up his rear. He even slapped on a $5 energy surcharge after we paid for all fees and taxes through hotels.com.

Aside from the horrible customer service, the rooms were spacious. There was, however, an odd stench that permeated throughout the hotel.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (45)
Reviewed April 8, 2012

I walked into my room and immediately smelled a horrible scent. While following and looking for the source of the scent, I discovered some fresh bed bug spotting, but could not find a live bug. So I flipped the mattress and found more spotting. The scent now was extremely strong. I moved the box spring and discovered cat droppings underneath the bed closes to the head board! Yes, feces! I took pictures and showed them to the owner and ask for a refund. Shockingly, the owner yelled at me for flipping the mattress! I told him I was looking for the smell and that's why I moved the bed, he continued arguing with me. He did not refund my money and Orbitz did not help in doing so either. I was forced to stay in a less clean, handicap room that I cleaned some throw old throw up off the bathroom wall. I have been using orbitz for several years and will never do so again. I reported this hotel to the health department.

• Stayed April 2012
3 Thank seabeedd
Vista, California
Reviewed March 3, 2012

My friend Celeste had a really early flight and as she has some physical disabilities, we decided to get a room close to the airport the night before her flight as I live about 50 miles from the airport. The parking lot was very tiny and tucked away around the corner so that was my first worry. The lobby was clean and bright and the young man that assisted us was very friendly and willing to accommodate when we asked for a smoking room (ok I know! )
After a ride in a tiny elevator we found , our room was at the end of the hall, right next to a fire escape door that was propped open.This building is very old and I think was a studio apartment house in it's younger days. Building materials were propped against the walls in the hallway and it smelled musty and slightly of curry. In our room large cracks adorned the walls, paint was peeling from the door frames,there was no phone, the heater was right against one of the beds, slats broken and didn't work on the heat setting. The carpet was old and dirty. The bathroom was ancient, cracked tiles and the toilet was up on a raised platform. There was a little kitchenette but the light didn't work. It didn't seem too clean, but there was a working fridge and two microwaves. I went to the lobby to ask for an ashtray and was told that you couldn't smoke in the building because it would smell up the hallways,but out on the fire escape, which is why I guess that door was propped open. This led me to feel unsafe as anyone could come up the fire escape stairs and into the building virtually unseen. I worried about bed bugs, the mattress were very hard and the pillows flat.I took pictures on my cell phone but need to get a cord to download them to my computer. Will try and do so soon.We paid $102. for this room and it was NOT a bargain!

• Stayed February 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank Kate S
Waukee, Iowa
Reviewed February 29, 2012

Due to overbooking at Marriott Mariana, travel agent booked me here since all SD hotels were booked except here[ should have been warning] Charged $325 per night, I was booked for 3. My gut told me not to check in but it was late and clerk was friendly and it was late. Upon walking down hall to room encountered smelly dirty mattress propped against wall, dozens of dirty old TV's lined the hallway, stained carpet, peeling paint, missing door trim and musty, smelly air hit me. The room- Smelled of a dirty bathroom, dirty windows, sticky doors, bathroom dirty floor and toilet no toilet paper [broken holder] BUGS in tub!! But greatest fear was door sticky and OPEN door to balcony off of hallway made me feel insecure, especially traveling alone. Wish I had a camera!! I called Amex Travel to GET ME OUT OF HERE!! Had talked to clerk about problem of smell he said "I come check in morning" Never put my luggage in room, fear of bugs! Was fortunate to find a clean room at Holiday Inn Express down the street! Hotel refused to give me a refund, saying they were full and couldn't resell my room [ they lied, had vacancies and listed them the next morning at $400 per night!!! HOW can this place get a certificate of health and be on any travel co,s list??? What a shame because with the location and proper management this could be charming, but not a $325!! The Marriott at the Marina where I stayed prior to this was $109 Great room, service, location and worth it if I paid $325!!! Lesson learned READ reviews,!!!!!!

Room Tip: Check to see room before checking in
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled on business
2 Thank artglink
Anaheim
Reviewed February 17, 2012

II rent room 405 with my family last saturday 14 feb 2012...i was eaten and bitten by the bed bugs...ended my weekend in a medical facility with allergic reaction to the bed insects...who ever speak spanish..."chinches"....Please be carefull this situation is dangerous and the manager....Jay do not take any action to solve the problem......and denies the facts......I am tryng to find reimbursement for my medical expenses and there is no response so far...Please dont go to harborview inn...dont take the risk to take this insects to your home.......

Room Tip: Never go to the harborview inn hotel...You are risking your life....
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank HernanAnaheim
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed February 16, 2012

I looked at all the reviews only AFTER my stay, because I hadn't booked a place before reaching San Diego at 8pm and went hostel hunting around Little Italy for a place to stay the night. I found Harborview Inn & Suites and liked it so much that I eventually extended my stay for 2 more nights.

So I'm quite surprised at the negative reactions, but it could be a matter of expectations.

Personally though, for the price I paid, I think I got a steal. Everything was in working order - air-conditioning, shower, TV - and the beds were comfortable. The location was fantastic - a 15 minute walk from the harbour. Internet wi-fi was good and consistent too, which is something that many other accommodations lack. If you're on a trip to explore, maximise your budget and not waste time lounging around in your hotel room, then Harborview Inn & Suites is highly recommended, based on my experiences at least.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled solo
Menlo park
Reviewed January 2, 2012

with the exception of the location the hotel experience was terrible, it is very noisy. Planes are fying just above and the side street leads to the freeway, in adition we had a very noisy group of people in the adjacent room drinking and talking loudly.
I stayed two nights and could not sleap at all. I had to move to another hotel.
I will NEVER GO BACK HERE.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with family