“lousy maintenance”

Extended Stay America - San Diego - Fashion Valley
Ranked #230 of 278 Hotels in San Diego
Reviewed November 2, 2013

First the entry keys were done incorrectly by the clerk who was busy talking in Spanish to a lady that came in after us. Next there was a minimal amount of toilet paper on the roll, and when that was gone (needed after a BM), there were no replacement rolls. Two of the lights were burned out and needed replacement. The dishes and silverware were incomplete and we had someone come over to bring them up to the proper level. There was no dishtowel.Where the tub/shower wall met the tub, there were open cracks in the joint..... have no idea how much water went where it shouldn't. At breakfast one day (half-hour before closing) two of the three coffees were missing, and the oatmeal choice was only one type, and we took the last two packs of those. The office had no one there to help us at one point, and they had a sign back on the back counter that said they were gone for 10 minutes.. We have stayed here before, but will never return!!!!

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank l s
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - San Diego - Fashion Valley, responded to this reviewResponded November 5, 2013

I appreciate you taking the time to write a review of your experience with us. I am so disappointed that we didn't meet your expectations. Please accept my apology. To prevent this from happening again, my team is being thoroughly coached on customer services, cleanliness and to insure that all rooms are maintenance free.

I am grateful for the feedback you provided so we are able to continually improve our hotel. I invite you to contact me at mvl@extendedstay.com if you have any additional comments. We hope that you will give us the opportunity to provide you with a better stay the next time you're in the area.

Reviewed October 19, 2013

I used PriceLine to book this room. I got a very very good rate and was not expecting much. My stay was for 8 days total.

Location was good and the hotel area during our stay was very quiet even though the hotel appeared quite full as the parking lots were very full.

Kitchen was clean, though I did not use it other than the fridge. Linens were clean. Housekeeping was great and it was explained that it was only once per week. This is fine with me as I usually decline daily housekeeping in other hotels as I like to sleep in and find that I dont usually need it.

Bed was okay, not the most comfortable but not like a prison bed or anything.

Pros were the location that was off the freeway, which was what I was looking for. And close to shopping and food. Coffee and snacks in the a.m. were nice if not fancy. Free Parking and free very basic WiFi.

Cons, it was a bit hard to find without a map. Weird closet corner thingy with few hangers.

The staff was very friendly and helpful.

Great bargain for a long term stay when you need basic housing without the frills.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Susan F
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - San Diego - Fashion Valley, responded to this reviewResponded October 25, 2013

Susan - Thank you for your recent review of your stay. I am sorry to hear that our location was s bit hard to find, but glad you did like our hotel overall and found your room to be clean. We appreciate the kind words regarding our staff and are glad they were able to assist you.

Thank you again for providing us with your feedback. If you have any additional feedback, please reach out to me at mvl@extendedstay.com. We hope to see you at our hotel the next time you're in town.

Reviewed October 8, 2013

I recently stayed at this location.
The room was clean, with the usually extended stay amenities
Friendly service when checking in.
Free to go breakfast and coffee.
Quiet location, with close by restaurants and a full list of local attractions furnished at check in.

Stayed: October 2013, traveled solo
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - San Diego - Fashion Valley, responded to this reviewResponded October 10, 2013

Steve - Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your stay. It's great to hear that our location was able to accommodate your needs while here. I'm glad to hear that we where also able to provide you with a clean and quite guest room. Also, I am pleased you enjoyed our free grab-and-go breakfast each morning.

Again thank you for choosing Extended Stay Hotels. We hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed October 1, 2013

I had a great experience staying at this place. I needed a temporary place to stay and Pavel and Oscar the 2 gentlemen at the front desk were very helpful. They answered all my questions and always had extra towels available. The location is perfect and noise level decent. The price is great too! The maid service does a great job in cleaning your room and the whole staff was always available if I needed help. Extra thanks to Pavel for making me feel welcome here. He is a great employee. If you are visiting san diego, this is a great place to stay.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - San Diego - Fashion Valley, responded to this reviewResponded October 3, 2013

Thank you for your great review of our property and staff. I'm so pleased to hear that Pavel and Oscar where both very helpful during your stay. We strive to be our best and make every guest have the home away from home experience. Also, I am pleased you found the affordable rate and convenient location ideal for your stay.

Reviewed September 16, 2013 via mobile

We were very disappointed with our stay here. A family member choose this for the location - admittedly convenient - and the kitchen. She was envisioning a Homewood Suites, but this was a far cry from that. We knew when we checked in that customer service was not a priority. While friendly, the person who checked us in made it clear that we should not expect hotel amenities. No maid service if your stay is less than a week. If you need new towels, bring the old ones down to the lobby (and PS, new towels are not necessarily clean towels). A plumbing problem went unfixed for half a day till we fixed it ourselves, and no apology or even surprise expressed. Nothing was truly clean. Trash spilled over the outside containers in the walkways and trails of ants capitalized on the food remnants. And the room wasn't cheap enough to make up for any of it. If you want a kitchen, go to a different suites hotel.

• Stayed: September 2013
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - San Diego - Fashion Valley, responded to this reviewResponded September 19, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your stay. I am sorry to hear that the service we had provided was not up to par. I would like to take this time to apologize about my staff not showing the initiative and great customer service our hotel takes pride in. I understand there was also a plumbing issues during your stay and I would like to also apologize about that not being taken care of in a timely manner. Any issues brought to our attention are taken seriously and need to be responded to immediately. I am sharing your review with my staff in order to better ourselves and to ensure that this does not happen again in the future.

I appreciate you bringing this to our attention. If you have any additional feedback, please reach out to me at mvl@extendedstay.com. We would love to have another chance to provide you with a better experience at our hotel the next time you're in town.

Reviewed September 4, 2013

We stayed at extended stay over Labor Day weekend. The good, the employees were very nice. The bad, the rooms need upgrading and maintenance and the exterior grounds are a mess. The walkways are filthy.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - San Diego - Fashion Valley, responded to this reviewResponded September 9, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your stay. I am glad to hear that my staff provided you with great customer service. Still, I am sorry to hear that your room and our exterior grounds didn't meet our expectations. In response to your feedback, I am going to address this issue with my housekeeping and maintenance staff to ensure they are diligent in keeping the common areas clean and up to our standards.

I appreciate you bringing this to our attention. If you have any additional feedback, please reach out to me at mvl@extendedstay.com. We hope that you will give us the opportunity to provide you with a better stay the next time you're in the area.

Reviewed August 14, 2013

My son had reserved this hotel in March for our family reunion, asking that the rooms would be grouped together. When we arrived in August, the rooms were all apart and also in separate buildings. The bed creaked so badly that each time my husband turned, I woke up. The reclining chair's footrest wouldn't stay up, so it was of no use and there were insufficient towels for the two of us. (I guess we were supposed to share.) I also heard that my son was overcharged.

Room Tip: Find another hotel.