“This is not a hotel.” 1 of 5 stars

Ranked #218 of 281 Hotels in San Diego
Albuquerque, NM
“This is not a hotel.”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2013 via mobile

We were very disappointed with our stay here. A family member choose this for the location - admittedly convenient - and the kitchen. She was envisioning a Homewood Suites, but this was a far cry from that. We knew when we checked in that customer service was not a priority. While friendly, the person who checked us in made it clear that we should not expect hotel amenities. No maid service if your stay is less than a week. If you need new towels, bring the old ones down to the lobby (and PS, new towels are not necessarily clean towels). A plumbing problem went unfixed for half a day till we fixed it ourselves, and no apology or even surprise expressed. Nothing was truly clean. Trash spilled over the outside containers in the walkways and trails of ants capitalized on the food remnants. And the room wasn't cheap enough to make up for any of it. If you want a kitchen, go to a different suites hotel.

• Stayed September 2013
    • 1 of 5 stars
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - San Diego - Fashion Valley, responded to this review, September 19, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your stay. I am sorry to hear that the service we had provided was not up to par. I would like to take this time to apologize about my staff not showing the initiative and great customer service our hotel takes pride in. I understand there was also a plumbing issues during your stay and I would like to also apologize about that not being taken care of in a timely manner. Any issues brought to our attention are taken seriously and need to be responded to immediately. I am sharing your review with my staff in order to better ourselves and to ensure that this does not happen again in the future.

I appreciate you bringing this to our attention. If you have any additional feedback, please reach out to me at mvl@extendedstay.com. We would love to have another chance to provide you with a better experience at our hotel the next time you're in town.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (39)
Chicago, Illinois
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2013

We stayed at extended stay over Labor Day weekend. The good, the employees were very nice. The bad, the rooms need upgrading and maintenance and the exterior grounds are a mess. The walkways are filthy.

• 4 of 5 stars
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - San Diego - Fashion Valley, responded to this review, September 9, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your stay. I am glad to hear that my staff provided you with great customer service. Still, I am sorry to hear that your room and our exterior grounds didn't meet our expectations. In response to your feedback, I am going to address this issue with my housekeeping and maintenance staff to ensure they are diligent in keeping the common areas clean and up to our standards.

I appreciate you bringing this to our attention. If you have any additional feedback, please reach out to me at mvl@extendedstay.com. We hope that you will give us the opportunity to provide you with a better stay the next time you're in the area.

Travelers are raving about these San Diego hotels

Spring City, Utah
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2013

My son had reserved this hotel in March for our family reunion, asking that the rooms would be grouped together. When we arrived in August, the rooms were all apart and also in separate buildings. The bed creaked so badly that each time my husband turned, I woke up. The reclining chair's footrest wouldn't stay up, so it was of no use and there were insufficient towels for the two of us. (I guess we were supposed to share.) I also heard that my son was overcharged.

Room Tip: Find another hotel.
San Bernardino, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2013

I reserved 6 rooms for 2 nights and requested that they please be grouped together back in March. Upon check in, none of the rooms were near each other and we were in different buildings on the opposite ends of the 3 buildings. I was also over billed. I had talked with the night clerk before I checked out to double check the billing for each room and upon leaving the office I thought we had worked it out. Only to check my credit card statement and find that I was over charged for the room we had specifically discussed. The refrigerator was SO noisy it kept us up the entire first night. The second night we moved our food into another room and had to unplug the refrigerator for the last night. The bed was SO hard and loud that between the bed and the noisy fridge, sleep was almost nonexistent both nights. The curtain in one room smelled like urine. In another room the air conditioning didn't work and the window didn't lock so we couldn't leave our belongings in there for fear of the room being broken into. Towels weren't adequately supplied for the four person room. The beds in the rooms need to be updated and a fitted sheet needs to be used on ALL beds, not just some. The refrigerator in the handicap room blocked the bathroom door from being opened all the way so the wheelchair could access the bathroom. In another room the refrigerator door swung the wrong way and you had to stand between the refrigerator door and the bathroom door. Blocking whom ever was in the bathroom from coming out. The fruit at the grab and go breakfast was moldy and the other options were limited. Overall the group was dissatisfied and disappointed with this hotel experience.

Room Tip: There is an Extended Stay off of Hotel Circle that we also visited before making our choice. We chos...
Chandler, AZ
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2013

For almost $200 night hotel--the room was filthy. There were cobwebs in the pantry and cabinets. The floor had crumbs in it, an indication that it has not been cleaned thoroughly after its last occupants. Our towels and the counters were all dusty. Costumer service was just as bad, the hotelier on the counter said that they'll have someone call me to fix the problem, but during our four nights stay in there nobody called to at least offer in vacuuming the room. During checkout, I mentioned the problem again, and all the man could say was, "my bad..."

The breakfast was horrible. 2 out of the 3 apples I picked were old and rotten. I WILL NOT RECOMMEND this hotel to anyone.

Room Tip: The farthest building and rooms's from the lobby smells like pee. The beds were uncomfortable.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank graciousguest
Los Angeles, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2013

The room was nice, property was clean, a minor issue with my shower head sounding like it was going to fly off when in use and not freeway friendly. But would stay again but not for the price I had to pay due to "comic con" in town that particular weekend. But would reccommend it

Room Tip: Don't have a "high" expectation
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - San Diego - Fashion Valley, responded to this review, July 25, 2013
Thank you for your recent review of your stay. I am so glad that you found your room to be comfortable and our property to be clean overall. Still, I apologize that the shower head did not work properly. Our maintenance staff is working to correct this issue so that it would not affect others in the future. We hope you enjoyed Comic Con!

We hope that you will give us the opportunity to provide you with another stay the next time you're in the area.
Danbury, Connecticut
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2013

efficient and cost-effective, familiar place to stay...... no big frills but not expected either. Have stayed at similar in other states and always been satisfied. For this one you'll need a map to locate but not a problem. Close to Fashion Valley mall, Balboa Park, Hillcrest, PB etc.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars
    • 4 of 5 stars
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - San Diego - Fashion Valley, responded to this review, July 19, 2013
James - Thank you for your great review of our property. I'm glad that our location was convenient to different establishments in the area, including Fashion Valley Mall and Balboa Park. As well, I am glad that you liked your room.