“At least it has a kitchenette”

Extended Stay America - San Diego - Fashion Valley
Ranked #222 of 279 Hotels in San Diego
“At least it has a kitchenette”
Reviewed April 16, 2013

Over all the building has under gone some up dates, like the web site says, there's a kitchenette in every room with ample storage for snacks and food, the bathroom was clean, and spacious, free Wi-Fi (as long as you're not using it for anything important), pet friendly - but the down side, is that apparently, there are some riff raffy people staying there, that seem to think it's ok to steal things out of your car. The location is great, easy access to freeways, ample shopping near by, not a sketchy place you would expect something like that to happen. It does not have a pool or a work out room but it does have a laundry room and a Costco shopped for "Grab and Go" breakfast station-but your probably better off making some instant oatmeal and coffee back at the room because there's no variety to what's offered and it's all prepackaged junk food.
The rates really are not that great unless you book though an online travel deal site. Your better off staying at one of the sister locations in San Diego - like Carlsbad where I'm told they have a pool and a gym, or even just shopping other locations in Mission Valley.
I really wanted to give this place a higher score but because of my missfortune I can only rate it poor to ok- the rates are too high for what they don't offer, and they can't even put up a couple security cameras out in the lot to ensure safety to the people staying there but they can have unreasonably high rates and allow all the sleazy tweekers to hold up shop.
Apparently a small hidden out of sight bag, with 2 dumbbells and a sweaty towel are a huge score.
So for that - I give this place a thumbs down.

Room Tip: Do not bring- your children unless you want to bore them to tears- Your girlfriend unless you want t...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - San Diego - Fashion Valley, responded to this review, July 2, 2013
Thank you for your recent review of your stay. I am happy to read that you enjoyed the updated amenities we now offer due to a recent renovation and your clean, spacious room. Still, I am sorry to hear that you had an unfortunate incident while staying at our hotel. Since guest safety is such a high priority for us, I am making sure the staff is retrained in security measures and are more aware of happenings throughout the hotel so we can provide a comfortable environment for our guests to enjoy.

Thank you again for providing us with your feedback. I invite you to contact me at mvl@extendedstay.com if you have any additional comments. We hope that you will give us the opportunity to provide you with a better stay the next time you're in the area.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (43)
Irvine, California
Reviewed April 15, 2013

The bath tub had a bad leak the AC was horrible and on top of the bad odor the room stayed stuffy. When I informed the staff they did nothing and I told them after check in and at check out. Not even an apology. I hate to be the one leaving a bad review but this was bad

• Stayed April 2013
Thank you for your recent review of your stay. I am very sorry for the level of cleanliness and lack of repairs made in your room. As well, I apologize that our staff did not respond properly to your requests for assistance. In response to your comments, I am coaching our staff on how to provide better customer service moving forward. Plus, I will be working with our housekeeping and maintenance staff on how to improve our cleaning as well as repair policies so that a situation like yours is not repeated.

Mobile, Alabama, United States
Reviewed April 11, 2013

Other than the floor being dirty when we arrived, the stay has been really great. I requested that the floors be shampooed and they took care of it the next day. This is a nice, quiet property with an extremely accomodating staff.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
San Diego, CA
Reviewed April 10, 2013

My husband and I needed a place to stay while we waited for our new place to become available. We decided Extended Stay would be perfect since we found an online coupon that would make the monthly rate less than what we typically paid for rent.
I honestly didn't expect much but was pleasantly surprised from the moment we walked in. We had a studio with a kitchenette and double sized bed. The room was upgraded and had nice flooring and granite counter tops. They provide free wi-fi and weekly maid service which is awesome! The people at the front desk are your go-to for anything that comes up such as extra toilet paper, change for the laundry room, etc. During the second day of our stay the shower head popped off but they sent someone immediately to fix it and they did it in less than 5 minutes.
You can easily walk down the hill to the strip mall for grocery shopping and a quick bite. I appreciate that the rooms are pretty quiet and you don't hear your neighbors. The only downside is that there don't seem to be designated smoking areas so there are a lot of guests that hang around stairwells and the parking lot. So you can encounter lots of smoke to and from your room. Overall I enjoyed our experience here.

Room Tip: There are no elevators so be specific if you know that walking up stairs is not for you.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank ppbcup
Reviewed April 8, 2013

This hotel was not worth the $, and falsely advertised that it was newly renovated. We paid for queen rooms but got 2 doubles. The room smelled like fish and there was hair in our bed. I will never stay there again.

• Stayed April 2013
James B, Manager at Extended Stay America - San Diego - Fashion Valley, responded to this review, April 10, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your stay. I sincerely apologize that the room you rented was not up to our high standards of cleanliness. To make sure this doesn't happen again, I am working with our housekeeping and maintenance department on retraining to ensure that this does not happen again. I appreciate you bringing this to our attention. I hope that you will contact me, Amon, directly, at amurti@extendedstay.com, should you wish to discuss this further. We would love to have another chance to provide you with a better experience at our hotel the next time you're in town.
Reviewed April 3, 2013 via mobile

The most disgusting bed I have ever seen in a hotel . Pulled the bed spread back to see sheets and pillow cases with holes in them from old age . Looked like the sheets and pillow cases had not been changed from the last time they were used all wrinkled and stained . There was a Blood spot on the underside of the bed spread ,Carpet was not vacuumed ,Sink was dirty. It was the dirtiest hotel room I have ever been in . Got straight on the phone and canceled my reservation with hotels.com who apologized and gave me a full refund 38 nights in total over $3000,00 . My friend took photos as we could not believe some one would try and rent a room in that condition.

Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
Thank you for your recent review of your stay. I am sorry to hear that did not find our hotel worth the money. I am going to check all the rooms for food smell and if find them, work with our housekeeping and maintenance departments to ensure that we get rid of that smell Thank you again for providing us with your feedback. I invite you to contact me, Amon, at amurti@extendedstay.com if you have any additional comments. We hope that you will give us the opportunity to provide you with a better stay the next time you're in the area.
Reviewed March 24, 2013

Service was awesome at front desk. Room stay was enjoyable with many accommodations. Would stay here again hands down. Would highly recommend stays here. Needed late checkout and offer was provided for us. Also late check in ran smoothly with awesome customer service. The whole process from the day I booked my room down to checkout was executed flawlessly with great staff who helped every step of the way!

• Stayed March 2013
James B, Manager at Extended Stay America - San Diego - Fashion Valley, responded to this review, March 25, 2013
We received a copy of your review and wanted to take a moment to say thank you very much for the excellent comments about your stay with us. I'm thrilled to hear that everything went smoothly and that would choose us again in the future. Thank you for choosing Extended Stay Hotels, we look forward to seeing you again the next time you are in San Diego.