“Worst hotel stay ever”

Extended Stay America - San Diego - Fashion Valley
Ranked #237 of 286 Hotels in San Diego
Reviewed August 17, 2012

We have stayed at various hotels, and this has been one of our worst stays. First, we had small snacks for our 2 daughters and when we opened the refrigerator we discovered it only blew WARM AIR (staff said we probably didn't have it turned to the coldest setting...we did). Second, there was NO toilet paper and towels in the bathroom (irritating because we had to go speak with the staff again). Lastly, as I pulled back the sheets to the bed I notice there was PET HAIR ALL OVER THE BLANKET!! We were completely disgusted. Since we have a toddler and a baby we did not want to stay, but it was 11 pm and had no other choice.

Staff tried to be friendly and apologized, but we could tell the night attendant was irritated. I even tried telling her the phone outside their office door didn't work and she didn't seem to care.

• Stayed: August 2012
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - San Diego - Fashion Valley, responded to this reviewResponded August 22, 2012

We know that our guests have multiple hotel choices, which is why our mission is to provide clean, comfortable rooms at an affordable price that guests want to come back to. The room condition you describe is totally unacceptable to me and not at all representative of our quality standards. In response to your post, I have met with our hotel staff and used your review to help coach them on room cleaning and inspection policy as well as on the company standards of professionalism.

Let me apologize again that your stay was not completely satisfying, and assure you that we will continue to listen to our guests in forums like this one or directly (please visit our website and click the Contact Us link at the bottom of the page). I hope we have addressed your concern satisfactorily, and that you would give us the pleasure of having you as a guest again at this hotel or any other brand locations in the future.

Reviewed July 26, 2012

Every time I have stayed at this hotel I get the best customer service from the front desk, to the maintenance crew, to the room cleaning service. There is always coffee in the rooms, breakfast. Basically its my home away from home because I have a full kitchen and all the amenities. PLUS!!! Its close to all the attractions, stadium, downtown, BEACHES, MALLS for my wife, and the best part... the price. I feel like this business is going to be around a long time with this formula they have created.

Good Job!!!

Room Tip: all rooms are good.
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled on business
2  Thank eddie o
Manager_11525, Manager at Extended Stay America - San Diego - Fashion Valley, responded to this reviewResponded July 31, 2012

I would like to personally thank you for taking time out to write such wonderful things about your experience at Extended Stay America San Diego - Mission Valley - Stadium. Our hotel is totally committed to the satisfaction of every guest who walks through our doors, which is why it is so rewarding to get feedback like yours; it tells us that we are delivering on that commitment. Our business is one in which the staff gets to know our guests, who sometimes stay with us for weeks or months. We believe that building a professional, courteous, and accommodating relationship with our customers will continue to bring them back for future stays. Once again, I and the entire staff at our hotel thank you for your very kind words, and we'd love to see you here again. Please don't hesitate to call on me for your future stays here or at any other Extended Stay Hotels(sm) location.

Reviewed July 23, 2012

If you are looking for a quiet, removed, cheap place to sleep that is close to downtown, this might be an option for you. We booked this as a group well in advance and secured rooms for less than $100 per night. I have seen quoted rates over $150 per night. It was fine for a place to sleep for less than $100, but I would have been irritated to pay over $150. Considering the hotel amenities (or lack thereof), I woud have rated it 3-stars. However, there were too many little problems, causing the 2-star rating. One of the cabinet doors was broken and would fall off when opened. Some time during our stay, the group reservation was changed from a Sunday check out to a Saturday check out without any notice to anyone. Had one of our members not checked in at the office, we never would have known causing the cancellation of 11 rooms. This required a manager to change and then no one alerted the group that it was fixed, we again had to verify with the office. As you are required to empty your own trash, the outside trash cans are often overflowing.
This hotel is in an industrial park with no close restaurants to walk to, but it made for quiet evenings. The hotel room was clean, but could use some more updates. If it truly had been renovated, it would use some more work. The grab and go breakfast is basically prepackaged muffins/granola bars and coffee. The coffee was good, but definately a minimal breakfast. The staff responded to requests, but they definitely seem overworked, so their demeanor was not always pleasant.
So, as a cheap place to sleep, it is fine, but don't expect too much.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank raseo
ChristopherTM, General Manager at Extended Stay America - San Diego - Fashion Valley, responded to this reviewResponded July 30, 2012

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay at our hotel. Given our company's commitment to superior guest service, it was great to read about your positive experience with our staff. Of course, I was disheartened to read that your stay wasn't 100% satisfactory. You certainly have my sincerest apologies.

I am eager to respond to your concerns regarding our hotel amenities. It is our mission to provide a clean, comfortable room at a great rate for business and leisure travelers. To that end, we don't put items like shampoo bottles, shower caps, or face lotions within a room prior to a guest's arrival. That's because although these things are perceived as being "free" at other hotels, you still end up paying for them in your nightly rate. It is also one of our practices to ask guests to remove their own garbage. While this might not be the most convenient request, it empowers you to take it out at your leisure or immediately should you choose do so. And lastly, the breakfast served each morning is meant to be on the lighter side. Doing business this way allows us to continue to offer great rooms at exceptional rates. I am truly sorry that we were unable to communicate our offerings effectively to you before you arrived.

Again, I am deeply sorry that you did not have a completely enjoyable stay at our hotel. I do hope that you will let me demonstrate our redoubled efforts to improve sometime in the future here or at any of our other brand locations.

Reviewed July 18, 2012

Want a drink with ice? Whoops no ice machine! The front desk said to head down to the CVS to buy a bag of ice. Or go to the refrigerator freezer. Oh oh...no ice trays. Want to hang up your clothes. Sorry nice closet, no hangers. Need body lotion or shampoo? Better head to the CVS again. Need the bed made or fresh towels. Forget it...no maid service. Yes there is a kitchenette. Good thing cause their free breakfast is "grab and go" with very little to grab. The rooms are okay but This place has no idea of serving the customer and doesn't even provide the basics you would expect from even the cheapest hotel.

Stayed: July 2012
ChristopherTM, Manager at Extended Stay America - San Diego - Fashion Valley, responded to this reviewResponded July 24, 2012

Kathy,

Thank you for taking the time to make us aware of your experience at Homestead San Diego - Mission Valley.  Providing for your total satisfaction, from the moment you arrive to the moment you depart, is my staff's primary duty.  Hearing that we failed in your case is truly disheartening, and for that, I offer you my sincerest apology. It is my pleasure to provide you with an explanation regarding your concern about our amenities. Our company is known for providing great rooms at great rates, without some of the fluff that you find at other hotels. Items like ""complimentary"" shampoos and conditioners are not really complimentary; you do wind up paying for it in the nightly rate. Although we don't place extra amenities into a guest room prior to check-in, we do have a limited supply of sundries available upon request at the front desk. We operate this way because it lets us continue to provide our guests with quality accommodations at an exceptional price. I do regret that we were not able to communicate to you exactly what you could expect before you arrived.

Reviewed July 4, 2012

There are actually 2 Extended Stay America Hotels in Mission Valley, San Diego. This one is on 7444 Mission Valley Road (previously called Homestead Suites), and the other one is on 3860 Murphy Canyon Road. If possible, you should stay in the other one, which is currently ranked 100 spots higher than this one, or maybe you would be better off staying in a completely different hotel chain. The other Extended Stay America Hotel on 3860 Murphy Canyon Road has just been remodeled and has all interior hallways. I know this because I accidentally drove to the wrong hotel.

This hotel on 7444 Mission Valley Road is decent. Don't expect any frills. It has the usual kitchenette with stove, refrigerator, microwave, and coffee maker. The king bed is okay. The sofa bed is uncomfortable. You can feel every spring in the sofa bed mattress. There are outdoor hallways, which means it's loud. There's no housekeeping unless you are staying for 7+ days. Free Wifi. Free parking. Loud A/C. Windows are only open to the hallway, so don't expect any privacy. Rooms are old and show signs of age.

It's located approximately 2 miles from Old Town San Diego which is convenient. Unfortunately, it's also in the back of a business area with nothing within walking distance.

I guess the only reasons to stay here would be if you have a pet or if you have to cook.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank krawner
ChristopherTM, Manager at Extended Stay America - San Diego - Fashion Valley, responded to this reviewResponded July 18, 2012

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay at Extended Stay America San Diego - Mission Valley - Stadium. Given our company's commitment to superior guest service, it was great to read about your positive experience with our staff. Of course, I was disheartened to read that your stay wasn't 100% satisfactory. You certainly have my sincerest apologies. It is my pleasure to respond to your concern about our front desk hours. I regret that we did not successfully communicate our front desk hours to you prior to your arrival. Our front desk operates between 7am and 11pm seven days/week. In the event that our guests need assistance during other hours, we always have on-staff overnight help that can be reached by phone. Although it is unusual for a guest to have the experience you did while staying with us, we would like to use your account to help us make our hotel even better. Again, I am deeply sorry that you did not have a completely enjoyable stay at our hotel, and I promise that we are focused on total guest satisfaction every day. Please don't hesitate to reach out to me at this hotel or to our guest relations team directly by visiting our website and clicking the Contact Us link at the bottom of the page. I do hope that you will let me demonstrate our redoubled efforts in the future here or at any of Extended Stay Hotels(sm)' other locations throughout the U.S. and in Canada.

Reviewed May 21, 2012

Located on Hotel Circle, this hotel is on the margin of getting a "very good" from me.

The good things are that the rooms all open on secure, interior hallways. There's just one elevator and to get to it, you have to pass the front desk. All the other doors are locked and accessible only with a room key.

Next, there's free internet, free parking, and decent rooms with a kitchenette. No big frills, but nice to have. There is an ironing board, hair dryer, etc., convenient plugs for you electronics, and all the necessities you might need.

Spacious. Windows that open. Plenty of lighting. Nice-sized bath. Very reasonably priced, even on walk-up with no reservation.

Now to get the "very good" I'd love to give this place it needs just a few things. The trash cans need to be emptied more often on the exterior and the elevator could use a good wipe-down. Blankets should be inspected for holes and carpet replaced when worn.

That's it! Otherwise, it's a nice place!

Keep in mind that I had a smoking room - I don't smoke but that's all they had. It smelled (amazingly) fresh so I took it but there were burns in the carpet and around the bathroom sink. If I were this hotel, I'd ban the smokers to the outside like most places do. To each his own, though.

The area is hotel circle. I find the area inexpensive but otherwise unattractive. It's right on the freeway, as are all the hotels in the area.

On the other hand, it's just down the hill from Hillcrest, near the Fashion Valley Mall, and just minutes from downtown and the airport.

I liked this place because it didn't pretend to be something it's not.

Room Tip: Try to get a non-smoking room away from the smoking wing.
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank Nombre D

Thank you so very much for your glowing review of Extended Stay America San Diego - Mission Valley - Stadium. Whenever I read comments like yours it always gives me such great pleasure. My entire staff strives to make every guest's stay totally enjoyable, and our greatest reward is validation that we've done just that. We know that our largest asset is our loyal base of customers like you, which is why we are so firmly committed to your satisfaction. Please know that we would be thrilled to have you again as our guest should your travel needs bring you back to our area. Once again, thanks for all of your very kind words.

Reviewed May 7, 2012

Not bad. Room was clean enough, everything worked well but my son has allergies and can't use feather pillows so we called the desk for a hypo-allergenic one but they didn't have any. Most hotels have those now. Also I noticed no shampoo just a bar of soap so I had to go out and buy some. On a positive note, the grab & go breakfast was just what I needed.

• Stayed: May 2012
1  Thank shortstick75

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay at Extended Stay America San Diego - Mission Valley - Stadium. Given our company's commitment to superior guest service, it was great to read about your positive experience with our staff. Of course, I was disheartened to read that your stay wasn't 100% satisfactory. You certainly have my sincerest apologies. I am eager to respond to your concerns regarding our hotel amenities. It is our mission to provide a clean, comfortable room at a great rate for business and leisure travelers. To that end, we don't put items like shampoo bottles, shower caps, or face lotions within a room prior to a guest's arrival. That's because although these things are perceived as being "free" at other hotels, you still end up paying for them in your nightly rate. However, given our commitment to your satisfaction, we do have a limited supply of complimentary sundries available upon request at the front desk. Doing business this way allows us to continue to offer great rooms at exceptional rates. I am truly sorry that we were unable to communicate our offering effectively to you before you arrived. Although it is unusual for a guest to have the experience you did while staying with us, we would like to use your account to help us make our hotel even better. Again, I am deeply sorry that you did not have a completely enjoyable stay at our hotel, and I promise that we are focused on total guest satisfaction every day. Please don't hesitate to reach out to me at this hotel or to our guest relations team directly by visiting our website and clicking the Contact Us link at the bottom of the page. I do hope that you will let me demonstrate our redoubled efforts in the future here or at any of Extended Stay Hotels(sm)' other locations throughout the U.S. and in Canada.