“Cockroaches, black mold, General manager is rude Please read”

Premier Inns Mission Valley
Ranked #228 of 286 Hotels in San Diego
Reviewed January 12, 2013

Ok, we are on a budget and $42.99 was cheep. The lobby was nice and Tony at the front desk was wonderful. The Motel 6 up the street over booked us but we did stay one night and i must say the room was "very" clean the front desk staff was nice was well, so we went down the street to the Premier inn. OMG next time i will stay in my car ( if we did not have the kids and our dog) we had a 2nd floor room and the elavator was not working and we has a ton of stuff so we had to clime the stairs. we required a NONE Smoking room as we don't smoke but not around our kids we called the front desk and was advised that we only have smoking room and it was a holiday. The room had a heavy smell of smoke and the carpet had a smell we all tried to identify and you could smell and i am 6"1 meaning i did not bend down to smell the carpet. we requested to move room but I was lucky to get a room at all. A few nights before we stayed at La Quinta for 3 nights read my review on La Quinta ( Great Hotel ) but was overbooked and we move to the Motel 6 so we back to the Premier Inn review. the beds were so saggy and uncomfortable the room was dark dingy and smelly, We stayed for 5 nights the 2nd night Cockroaches invaded the bathroom in our dogs food. We showed the night person on the desk and asked him to give the General Manager a message for the morning, the next morning we did not get a call from Her finally i called her office and She moved our rooms but i felt this was not going to make me happy 11am the maid knocked on the door asking if we are checking out i told her i don't know, that the front desk called us and asked us if we are staying over in the front desk rudely advised us if we are staying over we have to pay, i told the girl we need to speak with the General manager. But was told if we are staying we have to pay or "get out" The manager moved our rooms and the next room was not as bad, but the beds? OMG the same but worse. than we stayed in that room and the last day i was raining and waiting for our family to pick us up to see the rest of our family and waiting out side and was told we could not sit on the property and we would have to wait in the street and it was raining. The rooms are nasty and druggies keeped up up and the police must have been to the hotel a half dozen times it was like cops

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family
4  Thank mark J

Reviewed December 25, 2012

My stay wasn't too bad for the price. The ladies who work the front desk are very friendly and most helpful but the guy who works in the evening is completely rude and disrespectful. The cleaning staff is alright but only a few words of English. They bang on the door as if to wake the dead and for the most part are very nice. The rooms are nice size but they could be cleaner. Better than Motel 6 cleanliness-wise tho.
Very loud at all hours of the day or night. They have complimentary shampoo if you forgot yours which is helpful. The A/C unit worked perfectly as did the tv. The pool and Jacuzzi are quiet and clean. Plenty of parking and they do have security.

Room Tip: Just ask for a quiet room that way they'll space you away from other occupants.
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank Louise C
Reviewed September 20, 2012

I booked this hotel aware that it was significantly cheaper than anything else I could find, and was prepared for a certain level of sketchiness. I was pleasantly surprised! Aside from a musty smell in the elevator (easily averted by taking the stairs - it's always sunny in San Diego!), I have no complaints about this place. It was clean (bathroom and linens - and , rooms were cleaned each day). Staff was perfectly friendly, they have a free internet booth (free for 20 min), coffee and tea in the morning, and a great pool and hot tub!

The room wasn't huge (just 1 queen bed and a 1-person sofa), but that's not really a priority for me when I stay at a hotel, so it wasn't an issue. It's a no-frills hotel, but you still get a fridge, iron, fresh linens every day, a decent bed, and a television. I would definitely stay here again & recommend it to friends, as well.

Location was great - it's located on Hotel Circle Place, which is with all the hotels like Comfort Inn, etc. Just minutes from Ocean beach & minutes away from a huge shopping complex with breakfast spots and whatever chain stores you might need (Target, Best Buy, etc).

No complaints!

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank Colleen T
Reviewed September 2, 2012

I was excited to get a great rate for this place based on the reviews and location. I don't think I'll stay here again.

The room seemed clean enough, though set up oddly. The bedroom portion was a little snug while the bathroom was surprisingly large, especially considering it had absolutely zero counter space. A little inconvenient. When I got into bed, I found a hair. Not in a sheets-haven't-been-washed way, but housekeeping-lost-a-hair way. I removed it and tried to forget it. The next morning I found a few very long hairs in my towel. I got fresh towels the next day and yet again, more hair all over the towels. Too much. Also, the inspection certificate in the elevator expired a couple years ago. Maybe they have a new one that isn't on display, but it was a little unnerving to notice the expiration date amidst the elevator's creaking.

If hair doesn't bother you, this place may work for you. The best thing about it is its location, located just off the freeway and near Fashion Valley shopping center (Target and a few restaurants).

Room Tip: Ask about upgraded rooms. I'd hate to see what the non-upgraded rooms were like. If you have...
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank sonia530
Reviewed July 26, 2012

When we first arrived, we had to wait a very long time while the incompetent desk clerk attempted to check in someone else. When she finally got to us after 30 minutes, even though we had a reservation and it was 6:00 PM, we were told that our rooms were not ready. We had two rooms, and the clerk was unable to determine which of my parents was my dad...in spite of his beard!? We were on the fourth floor, and we took the smelly and filthy elevator, the whole time being afraid it would break because it rattled and smelled strongly of hydraulic oil. The outside corridors have clearly never been cleaned, and you left footprints from stepping on the carpet. The towels were dirty and scratchy and the pillows were lumpy. To be fair though, the room actually did seem fairly clean once you got inside. Warning though: the rates for this hotel had risen since we made our reservation less than a month ago, and you should be careful because advertised rates are not what you'll pay.
On the second day, the elevator actually did break, but the desk clerk was not apologetic and even made a joke about gremlins...? We had just been to Disneyland and ridden The Tower of Terror, so when the elevator was "repaired" (with a temporary permit) and we saw that the maximum occupancy was 13...coincidence??? Don't think so. Scary!
On the plus side, the hotel was pet friendly, and we had two dogs with us. Obviously we had to take them out, but the doggy bag dispenser outside had been rusted shut and was empty. Also, the parking lot was not well lit and was fairly creepy...and included what looked like an exploded bird.
Overall, I would never stay here again and would never recommend it to anyone who liked normal hotels with non-creepy desk clerks or elevators.

• Stayed: July 2012
4  Thank SleeplessinnSanDiego
Reviewed July 15, 2012

Just what I was looking for! Competitively priced, clean, comfy, cozy and convenient. Perfect location for my adventures to Old Town, Balboa Park (zoo and the Old Globe), Coronado Island and the neighborhood of North Park.
When I visit SD I spend so little time in my room that a motel, with its low overhead and minimal amenities is preferred over a hotel. Why pay for all that hotel “fluff and stuff” when you spend so little time there? I need a central location, easy freeway access, safety and cleanliness. This place fits the bill!
I’LL BE BACK ....

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with friends
4  Thank dlibra1007
Reviewed June 18, 2012

Not sure if the reviews listed were reviewing the correct hotel. There is nothing wrong with this hotel. It is in a nice area of town, right across the street from a very upscale hotel, has a wildlife refuge on two sides and local ball fields on the other. The rooms are old style, but kept up nicely and it is a step up from the local Motel 6. My entire rate for a Sat/Sun stay was $45 per night (AAA discount) and I booked on line to save a lot. Go to their site!! The normal rate for a weekend night is $75. AND, my rate above included ALL taxes and fees.

It is down the block from a fancy steak house and about a block or two off the highway. Easy in and out. About 10 minute drive to the local dog park and another 5 to Dog Beach. Drive another mile or so and you are in the Newport Beach tourist area with lots of shops and cafes, etc.
The room internet was free and so was having Ethan the Dog. Housekeeping did an excellent job of cleaning the room each day and there is coffee in the morning in the lobby. I would not hesitate to stay here.
There are no fast food spots within a decent walking distance. You need to drive a bit.
Cheapest gas was at the Union 76 station, cash price, right around the block from the dog park.
Cheapest breakfast was the Old Town Cafe in Newport Beach.

Check in was very slow due to 6 people ahead of me and only one desk clerk. He also answered the phones and took reservations. tried to check in early and the room was not ready, but upon arriving at 2:40 found lots of people had already checked in. So, I think getting there about 2:00 is ok.

Kind of a dried up patch of grass in the back to walk the dog, but plenty of boulevard in the front. Pick up your poop, please. I think eventually people will ruin the "dogs stay free" in so many motels by thinking they do not have to be responsible for cleaning up after their animals.

I was on the third floor and the elevator is slow and small. Took the stairs. You can hear the kids run down the balcony as they race for the pool, but other than rather bumpy floors in the room (it's carpeted and and soon needs a cleaning) the amenities were nice and the room a very good deal.

One way in and out of the parking lot and you may have to use the spaces behind the motel. In two days I only had to park there once. Otherwise, was always able to find a spot by the door going upstairs.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled solo