WINNER WONDERLAND

Ranked #207 of 278 Hotels in San Diego
Denver
“A real find!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 24, 2009

I enjoy finding local motels that are reasonable and have a bit of the local charm. I very much enjoyed staying at the Point Loma Inn. Going out of their way to make my stay pleasant, were managers Ray and his wife. They went above and beyond the call of duty, even giving me helpful ideas on where to go and what to do in San Diego. At the terrific budget price, I expected the rooms to be older. They were, but they are very comfortable and if you go fishing a block away as I did, the kitchenette is definitely the way to go!

As a single woman, I felt very safe in this area. I do wish there were more restaurants immediately nearby, but bus is a half a block. This is a great place to go deep sea fishing or enjoy all the great things San Diego has to offer. I had a great time on this trip and caught Yellowtail too!

• Stayed October 2009, traveled solo
1 Thank PhiloDoJo
alondra_vazquez, Guest Relations Manager at Hotel Point Loma, responded to this review, June 30, 2010
Thank you for taking the time, to post a review online! I am glad to hear our manager was frienly and helpful! We hope to see you the next time you visit sunny San Diego!

- Vicky Patel, Guest Services Rep.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (34)
San Diego
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 20, 2009

The people in the evening and in the morning front office were very nice. The hotel was old, but, VERY well kept up and being single with a daughter, yes, I had to make sure the front door was locked, like any hotel, but I was comfortable the whole night (that's a wish-list with a 8 year old daughter who needs a drink in the middle of the night...). I was next to a busy road but, at the bedroom I had in room #9, I didn't hear anything.

I didn't need the kitchen but if I did, everything was there.

The bathroom was nice and clean with hot water coming right away. Maybe I lucked out on my timing of starting the shower but regardless that is very rare to have .

I don't do alot in San Diego's downtown but, if things come about where I'm in that area to visit with friends and I am looking for a hotel not to far from the airport, I would make a reservation at the same hotel being the great cost, the front office, and the comfort I had with the stay.

The room was comfortable where we relaxed in, ate at with the to-go order from Denny's and with the work that was finished off with the Girl Scouts picture book that I did with my daughter.......

• Stayed October 2009, traveled with family
1 Thank TripSanDiego

marana az
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 10, 2009

These People were so nice to me and made me feel so special. The room was so clean and they even up graded me to a very special upstairs room because it was late in the afternoon and the manager felt sorry for me being a older woman alone and it was getting dark before long. What he did not know was that my husband was in the hospital in La jolla and I was tired and afraid being by myself. I cannot tell you how wonderful it made me feel to stay at this special place. I would say that the people that stay at this Inn will be blessed as I was.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled solo
2 Thank LattMaranaAz

Scottsdale, AZ
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 28, 2009

We have been staying at the Point Loma Inn & Suites on and off for the past month and love it. The staff is pleasant and the Manager (Ray) is extremely friendly and helpful. The rooms are very clean and sanitized and the housekeeping service will bring you whatever you need. It is walking distance to most anything you would need as far as food and entertainment. This is the place to stay if you are on a budget!

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank ADVENTURES85260

Burlington
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 26, 2008

Great deal at a great price. Kitchen had all i needed. Room was clean and quiet. A close walk to fishing charters, 5min to Ocean beach, 10min to Mission Beach, 10 min to airport, 15 min to convention center. Debbie from the front desk was able to answer all my needs. No complaints.

Stayed June 2008
1 Thank boothinstaller
Los Angeles
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 23, 2008

Oh where to begin...okay how about the horrible propane gas smell from the stove that burns your throat when you breathe.
Booked the room for 2 nights stayed one night. I myself thought the location was terrible..if you like fast food joints and low end (very low end) shopping then the location might be great for you!

The bed was as hard as a concrete floor and the blanket was stained with who knows what. It's a good thing I happen to have spare clean sheets in my car trunk because I was not touching the sheets and blanket on the bed. The carpet was dingy and was not clean when I arrived..there were crumbs. There was no table to sit at..the couch was so dirty it looked liked it was found
at the city dump...the staff even covered the couch with a sheet to hide all the stains. I was not planning on cooking during my stay which was a good thing because there was nothing to cook with and there was a knob missing on the stove. There was one cup, one plate, and a tea kettle which had a layers of dust on it. There was hair on the kitchen faucet and on the bathroom floor, and also on 2 of the four towels. There were
baby flies flying around and seemed to want to get out too because they loved sitting on the curtains. The curtains in my room were broken off from the hooks...the blinds were broken...
the shower head was held on with tape and so was the towel rack. There was no hair dryer. There was an ironing board but no iron. The safe did not work. There were only 4 hangers and the bathroom window did not shut.

The parking lot is very small and had to park on the street. I noticed that when the trash truck came to empty the bins a lot of the trash fell down onto my car and on another car. I left the room at noon and there was no maid service at all! Went out for a few hours and when we returned the parking lot was closed for a "few hours" and no one could go to their rooms for a "few hours" due to deliveries of beds to some of the room but no one was to enter their rooms for the "few hours" It's a good thing we took everything out of our room before we left for the day because our door was wide open when we returned! All the doors face the street and it was not wise for the staff to think leaving doors open and unattended was ok. The staff does not care properly for their guests and it is very obvious with the doors left wide open and rooms that are not maintained. The photos the owners post on their site are very misleading.

Checked out right then and there...this "inn" which is really a low class motel is way below standards and my advice is to bring hand sanitizer because everything in the room is disgusting and dirty, I had to use a towel to cover the light switch because I did not feel comfortable touching the switch..it was grimey and sticky.

It was worth the few extra dollars spent for the room the second night.

• Liked — I did not like anything
  • Disliked — I did not feel safe at this motel, it looks dirty and it is dirty
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled as a couple
      Check in / front desk
2 Thank socaltrav075

Travelers are raving about these San Diego hotels

B.C.
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 15, 2008

We stayed at several hotels in the last 2 weeks so I will base my review on comparing them.

Wow was I surprised to find out our room was a suite! I was not expecting this, and it was a nice change from staying 2 weeks in other hotel rooms only (and for the same price). We stayed for 3 days (2 nights). I have posted video of our room so I guess you can find that in my profile. It was a nice suite, nice couch which pulled out to a bed, our queen bed was comfortable, decoration was nice, nice new windows all around, shower had good water pressure, full size fridge & stove and kitchenette. Our kitchen even had pots & pans, plates, bowls and utensils which had I known I would be in a suite would have been awesome! There was even an in room safe which was great! The marina was a block from the hotel and there was a Jack in the box across the street, KFC, McD's, and Denny's Restaurant really close by in walking distance. Not too far a drive away ( a couple miles) I discovered a Target store and Chillis Restaurant, Red Lobster, Black Angus and another nice BBQ restaurant. The airport was a short drive and there was no close airplane noises. The only thing in the room I personally would have liked would have been dark curtains for the two windows in the kitchen, the blinds let in too much light when trying to sleep and also one of the blinds wasn't long enough on one window as well. But other then that the suite was really nice.

The Continental breakfast provided by the hotel consisted of boxed cereal and milk and orange juice and danish only which were individually wrapped so that was nice. We personally would have appreciated a 2nd juice being allergic to oranges and maybe a toast machine with bread or bagels, but having the cereal option for the kids was great! The free breakfast just was not the same scale as a couple other hotels we had been at but still better then 1 of them but the bonus of having the suite out weighted all the other places anyways.

They were training a new front desk person when we arrived so I can't comment on the front desk service except that the guy doing the training on July 10 was really nice and professional!

I did get annoyed one night with the people above us, I swear they were letting their kids jump up and down late at night and it sounded like a bunch of elephants. I felt so sorry for the maid, she looked young and was by herself to do the whole place - all they have is one small washing machine and one dryer for her to try and do all towels and linen in daily. I don't know how that is possible. I can't comment on the maid service either because I left a do not disturd sign on our door the whole time, which I'm sure she was grateful for.

The parking lot is pretty small but it is a small hotel so what can you do...I counted 15 suites but only 11 parking stalls, + 1 Handicap space, so I could see if there was a full house parking could become a problem since the side streets were always full up as well but maybe not everyone comes with a vehicle so therefore parking might be fine. I notice they list 14 suites here, so maybe there isn't 15.

I had no problems with my stay and would definitely stay there again if I had to stay in San Diego again. However I can see that they really need to come up with a solution with doing the hotel laundry -There is no room on the property to make a larger laundry area except maybe the little space at the back or maybe they should consider making one suite into a small single room and turning one of the kitchenettes and part of one suite into a decent size hotel laundry room so they can provide clean towels on a daily basis and clean the hotel bedding. At the very least they might be able to get two stacking washer/dryer combo's in the existing tiny laundry room - or prehaps out source their laundry (Maybe that is already what they do with the sheets??? I don't know...) I know I was beside their laundry room and all I ever saw was mounds of towels on top the one machine and no one around. But don't quote me anyways, for all I know they may have another laundry room they use on the upper level??? I'm just guessing they don't though going on the previous person's review of never having their towels changed the whole 10 days of their stay.

• Liked — It was a suite, and decor was nice
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled with family