“Dirty, Filthy, and Disgusting!”
Review of Hotel Point Loma

Hotel Point Loma
Ranked #205 of 286 Hotels in San Diego
Reviewed July 23, 2008

Oh where to begin...okay how about the horrible propane gas smell from the stove that burns your throat when you breathe.
Booked the room for 2 nights stayed one night. I myself thought the location was terrible..if you like fast food joints and low end (very low end) shopping then the location might be great for you!

The bed was as hard as a concrete floor and the blanket was stained with who knows what. It's a good thing I happen to have spare clean sheets in my car trunk because I was not touching the sheets and blanket on the bed. The carpet was dingy and was not clean when I arrived..there were crumbs. There was no table to sit at..the couch was so dirty it looked liked it was found
at the city dump...the staff even covered the couch with a sheet to hide all the stains. I was not planning on cooking during my stay which was a good thing because there was nothing to cook with and there was a knob missing on the stove. There was one cup, one plate, and a tea kettle which had a layers of dust on it. There was hair on the kitchen faucet and on the bathroom floor, and also on 2 of the four towels. There were
baby flies flying around and seemed to want to get out too because they loved sitting on the curtains. The curtains in my room were broken off from the hooks...the blinds were broken...
the shower head was held on with tape and so was the towel rack. There was no hair dryer. There was an ironing board but no iron. The safe did not work. There were only 4 hangers and the bathroom window did not shut.

The parking lot is very small and had to park on the street. I noticed that when the trash truck came to empty the bins a lot of the trash fell down onto my car and on another car. I left the room at noon and there was no maid service at all! Went out for a few hours and when we returned the parking lot was closed for a "few hours" and no one could go to their rooms for a "few hours" due to deliveries of beds to some of the room but no one was to enter their rooms for the "few hours" It's a good thing we took everything out of our room before we left for the day because our door was wide open when we returned! All the doors face the street and it was not wise for the staff to think leaving doors open and unattended was ok. The staff does not care properly for their guests and it is very obvious with the doors left wide open and rooms that are not maintained. The photos the owners post on their site are very misleading.

Checked out right then and there...this "inn" which is really a low class motel is way below standards and my advice is to bring hand sanitizer because everything in the room is disgusting and dirty, I had to use a towel to cover the light switch because I did not feel comfortable touching the switch..it was grimey and sticky.

It was worth the few extra dollars spent for the room the second night.

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled as a couple
2  Thank socaltrav075

Reviewed July 15, 2008

We stayed at several hotels in the last 2 weeks so I will base my review on comparing them.

Wow was I surprised to find out our room was a suite! I was not expecting this, and it was a nice change from staying 2 weeks in other hotel rooms only (and for the same price). We stayed for 3 days (2 nights). I have posted video of our room so I guess you can find that in my profile. It was a nice suite, nice couch which pulled out to a bed, our queen bed was comfortable, decoration was nice, nice new windows all around, shower had good water pressure, full size fridge & stove and kitchenette. Our kitchen even had pots & pans, plates, bowls and utensils which had I known I would be in a suite would have been awesome! There was even an in room safe which was great! The marina was a block from the hotel and there was a Jack in the box across the street, KFC, McD's, and Denny's Restaurant really close by in walking distance. Not too far a drive away ( a couple miles) I discovered a Target store and Chillis Restaurant, Red Lobster, Black Angus and another nice BBQ restaurant. The airport was a short drive and there was no close airplane noises. The only thing in the room I personally would have liked would have been dark curtains for the two windows in the kitchen, the blinds let in too much light when trying to sleep and also one of the blinds wasn't long enough on one window as well. But other then that the suite was really nice.

The Continental breakfast provided by the hotel consisted of boxed cereal and milk and orange juice and danish only which were individually wrapped so that was nice. We personally would have appreciated a 2nd juice being allergic to oranges and maybe a toast machine with bread or bagels, but having the cereal option for the kids was great! The free breakfast just was not the same scale as a couple other hotels we had been at but still better then 1 of them but the bonus of having the suite out weighted all the other places anyways.

They were training a new front desk person when we arrived so I can't comment on the front desk service except that the guy doing the training on July 10 was really nice and professional!

I did get annoyed one night with the people above us, I swear they were letting their kids jump up and down late at night and it sounded like a bunch of elephants. I felt so sorry for the maid, she looked young and was by herself to do the whole place - all they have is one small washing machine and one dryer for her to try and do all towels and linen in daily. I don't know how that is possible. I can't comment on the maid service either because I left a do not disturd sign on our door the whole time, which I'm sure she was grateful for.

The parking lot is pretty small but it is a small hotel so what can you do...I counted 15 suites but only 11 parking stalls, + 1 Handicap space, so I could see if there was a full house parking could become a problem since the side streets were always full up as well but maybe not everyone comes with a vehicle so therefore parking might be fine. I notice they list 14 suites here, so maybe there isn't 15.

I had no problems with my stay and would definitely stay there again if I had to stay in San Diego again. However I can see that they really need to come up with a solution with doing the hotel laundry -There is no room on the property to make a larger laundry area except maybe the little space at the back or maybe they should consider making one suite into a small single room and turning one of the kitchenettes and part of one suite into a decent size hotel laundry room so they can provide clean towels on a daily basis and clean the hotel bedding. At the very least they might be able to get two stacking washer/dryer combo's in the existing tiny laundry room - or prehaps out source their laundry (Maybe that is already what they do with the sheets??? I don't know...) I know I was beside their laundry room and all I ever saw was mounds of towels on top the one machine and no one around. But don't quote me anyways, for all I know they may have another laundry room they use on the upper level??? I'm just guessing they don't though going on the previous person's review of never having their towels changed the whole 10 days of their stay.

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled with family
Reviewed July 9, 2008

The hotel is old, but rooms have had some renovations - new windows and bathroom fixtures. We had requested a unit with an extra couch, but got a unit with a kitchenette. The kitchenette had absolutely no kitchenware. Not even an ice bucket, but the frig and microwave worked. We had to go to the office for paper cups. It was clean when we arrived, but the maid only came once in 10 days to make the bed. On three days we got towels, on other days we had to take our dirty towels to the office and request new ones. Parking lot is really small and hard to get in and out of. Location is phenomenal - walking distance to Shelter Island and 5 minutes from airport. We took the #28 bus for $2 to Old Town and the Old Town Trolley Station. We walked the 2 miles to the airport and took the #992 bus to the Gaslight District so didn't have to pay downtown parking $10 or worry about drinking and driving. I would stay there again. There is not much in the area for dining, just the chain restaurants. It's worth taking the #28 a few blocks to Old Town.

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 8, 2008

I very much enjoyed my stay at this Inn. I was there in April of 2008. The owners were very helpful and polite. Anything that I needed was available to me. Also, the Inn has everything you need. Wireless internet, hairdryers, kitchenettes, microwaves. It's a great location. The parking lot is small and kind of awkward to get out of, but otherwise this place was really good. The rooms look really nice. My room had a couch, a small kitchen, large TV. This place really is a great price for a great place.

• Stayed: April 2008, traveled on business
Reviewed June 10, 2008

My boyfriend and I went there for our anniversary in May. The night we checked in, it was about 11pm when we got into town. The outside appearance and surrounding area was pretty friendly looking and we felt good about staying there. There was one thing that really freaked us out though. There was a car parked in the parking lot with newspaper clipping, blankets, and towels taped ALL over it with clear packing tape. It was the weirdest thing I've ever seen. The next day we saw the owner of the car........she was a middle aged woman wearing just about every piece of clothing she owned, a big floppy hat, and a necktie around her face covering nose. My only guess was that she was paying the hotel to let her park her car there and live out of it...or something. Very strange. Other than that we had a wonderful time and felt perfectly safe and comfortable.

• Stayed: May 2008, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Jewly84
Reviewed June 3, 2008

We had to make a trip to San Diego for a friend's wedding and didn't want to spend too much money, so the Point Loma Inn did help us out with that. Also the location was perfect and is close to just about everything, however we did notice many other "nicer" looking motels that didn't show up in our online searches and we will definitely try those next time. But the saying "you get what you pay for" really rings true with this motel. It is very noisy and I think we only had one good night of sleep there. The staff was fairly helpful but seemed bothered if we needed anything. The parking lot is VERY small and someone backed into our car damaging it quite a bit, however the people were honest and found us to exchange insurance information.
If you're really on a budget and don't mind missing a few hours of sleep Point Loma Inn will work for you, but try looking around a little bit first.

• Stayed: June 2008, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 14, 2008

Room was clean, staff was pleasant. Location is great! Close to airport, Shelter Island, Ocean Beach, PLNU, Sea World. If you are on a budget, this is the hotel for you!

• Stayed: May 2008, traveled as a couple