“Traveler's BEWARE. They SECRETLY make COPIES of your DRIVER'S LICENSE without letting you know”
Review of Hotel Point Loma

Hotel Point Loma
Ranked #209 of 279 Hotels in San Diego
San Francisco, California
Reviewed August 31, 2013

They make copies of your driver's license and do not ask for permission or even let you know, I found out by accident.
We had pre-paid deposit credit from Pacific Inn Hotel and Suites which is their sister hotel, and they did not honor our deposit and confirmation so they sent us here. (Please see my review about them, I had to file a formal BBB complaint)

We were sent here from a pre-paid reservation and confirmation that their sister hotel, Pacific Inn, did not honor (I wrote a review on that hotel too if you are interested.). We found certain things troublesome about this hotel and would like to share our experience. I read all the positive reviews people wrote, and how great their remodeled room was. That was not our experience.
We were exhausted and very late from registering at Comic Con due to the previous 3 hour dealings with their sister hotel. We quickly checked in and left to do our registration.
By the time I got to the Comic Con registration counter at Mission Valley's Town and Country Hotel (50 minutes later), I realized Aarti did not give me back my driver's license and credit card. That means I was not able to register and had wasted about 2 hours on traveling! I quickly called the hotel, they told me "you lost your license and credit card, someone found it and turn them in. We've put them in your room." I know I did not "lose" my driver's license and credit card, they were not return to me when we checked in. I was also not happy that they entered the room without permission. Maybe that was because the phone in the room never worked so they couldn't call me! I mentioned to Aarti to activate my phone because it wasn't working (some hotels block the phone), I could not call the front desk, I could not dial out. She told me she checked and it was working fine. Well, it must be working "only" at the time when she was checking, because every time I used it, it was not working, and it never worked throughout our stay. I see this as dishonesty on the hotel's part.
What was really bothersome was the last two days of our stay, we rented a car, and asked for a parking pass (what everyone wrote about no parking spaces is so true). The front desk clerk pull out my file which then I saw they made a copy of my driver's license!!

Do all the people who had stayed here knew they made copies of your driver's license?!! This is, of course, they did not ask you or let you know they did this.

They did not ask me or let me know they were doing this. I just happened to see it. This is a very underhanded way of doing business and I find that very troublesome. When asked, the front desk clerk nonchalantly told me they would shred it after we leave. Well, whether they do shred it or not, we don't know for sure. I only know they had a copy of my license without my knowledge, that is until I found out on my own.
This probably explains why they did not return my driver's license and credit card in the first place. In the days of prevalent identify theft, I feel the need to let all travelers know about this. As to did they also make a copy of my credit card, I don't know. Because this was something that the front desk clerk was trying to hide from me and not let me see as well.
Our room assigned to us was not the remodeled one; the grout in the bathroom turned black (because you can see some part was still white), the tile was loose and making noise, the lock on the bathroom window was broken and missing, the safety deposit box was locked (can't use it), the carpet was sticky, the drain was dirty, the hot/cold water knob in the shower was in reversed direction and the microwave had a sizable crack on the door. This does not appear to me of a remodeled room (Room 207). I had to ask for a hair dryer, Aarti was surprised there was not one in our room. (??) We didn't get one until the next day because they don't have an extra one.
The worst part was the smoke detector started to beep in the middle of the night (out of battery), that tells me they have no regular maintenance schedule! We let it go until in the morning because we didn't want to be more awake by calling to get the battery changed in the middle of the night. The front desk is closed during the night and you have to call someone and wait form them to show up to get service. (The phone wasn't working to call the front desk anyway)
There is no elevator, you need to carry your own luggage upstairs. There is very limited parking and one night we had to park few blocks away. There were two queen beds in our room; one bed was set up next to the air conditioner so you cannot walk through that side. We had two check-in luggage and one carry-on, so there was no more room to walk. If someone was sitting on the chair using the desk, the others have to climb over the bed to get through because the chair backs to the bed.
There were only 2 electrical outlets visible, they were in the bathroom. Other outlets were either behind the bed, or part of an extension block that was already full.
They made a copy of my driver's license without my knowledge is beyond anything positive I could have to say about the hotel. Travelers beware!

Room Tip: We were assigned to room 207, it was not remodeled, so don't expect to have the same quality of...
1 Thank CW_from_CA

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (36)
Baton Rouge, Louisiana
Reviewed August 23, 2013

my room was very nice it was all non smoking and luckily noone smoked in the designated smoking area cause it was right below my window which was opened when I went it (it's that nice of weather there) the employees were nice and the area had lots of local eateries and stores.

Room Tip: had no pool but the beach was only about 10 mins away, had a very nice flat screen tv only thing tha...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
GuestRelationsDept, General Manager at Hotel Point Loma, responded to this review, August 29, 2013
We are thrilled by the review you have shared with future guests. It is always a priority to provide value for all of our guests through the location of our hotel, complimentary amenities, and of course the quality of our rooms. We want to thank you sincerely for your kind words.
Peoria, Arizona
Reviewed August 13, 2013

My wife and I were in San Diego for the 4th of July weekend and did not want to spend $250.00 per night for a room where we would not be spending lots of time. This worked well. Great location, free parking, friendly staff (mostly) and inexpensive. The room was clean and the motel is right across the street from some great restaurants. Some loud neighbors but we slept thru the commotion and had a great time. Walked out to see the fireworks on Shelter Island, ate some great Thai food and fresh seafood at the Point Loma Seafood place across the street. I would recommend for less particular people (like us) but with some reservations for picky folks.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
GuestRelationsDept, General Manager at Hotel Point Loma, responded to this review, August 25, 2013
Thank you for posting your honest opinion of our hotel. We appreciate you giving us the opportunity on such an eventful weekend to be your choice of accommodations. Our staff is dedicated to making your experience at our hotel a positive one, and its unfortunate that your neighbors were not respectful of your stay. As you mentioned, we are near a variety of fabulous restaurants, and being right across the street from the water is always a plus. Once again thank you for writing us a review.
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed August 10, 2013

My wife and I chose this hotel for the affordable price and the various discount offers available (weekday stay, AAA, etc). We're in our mid-30's with a two-year-old. We were travelling to San Diego for a night of uninterrupted sleep away from our daughter. We didn't get it by staying at the Point Loma Inn & Suites.

It was our first time visiting the Point Loma area, so we didn't know that this hotel faces a busy street (Rosecrans) and every room has a door that opens to the parking lot. The property is small, so parking is very tight. Arriving around 7pm, we got the last spot on the lot and assumed that the hotel was full for the night so requesting another room if ours didn't suit us wasn't an option.

At check in, we arrived to an empty reception office. With no bell to ring to alert the staff to our presence, we resorted to yelling "hello?!" whereupon a staff member arrived. She was friendly and efficient in processing us. I was surprised that my drivers license and credit card were photocopied and I had to give my thumbprint and signature on the paper. It was never explained to me what this was for, I could only assume that it was related to covering for possible damages to the room. (Yes, we can prove that it was you Professor Plum, we've got your thumbprints all over the candlestick in the bedroom!)

We stayed in room 104, which is right next to the reception office. The door to our room didn't do a good job of blocking out the noise from the outside. It jiggled even when locked, not giving us a sense of security and it let in noise and light to our room through the space between the door and frame. We could hear people talking outside until 11:30pm and woke to hear a loud talking, late arriving guest speak at the reception window around 3am.

Also contributing to our lack of sleep was the mattress quality. It felt well worn with weak springs in some areas. I felt more spring than plush comfort. Needless to say, neither my wife nor I got a good night's sleep. My wife would like me to say here that she didn't have a problem with the bed. I don't think my sleep number is that far out, but let me just say that this bed didn't have it.

To their credit, I could tell that our room had been remodeled and some nice touches were added, like a mirrored headboard, pictures, and a modern color palate. Still, the lamps in our room had shades that looked dented from falling and weren't replaced. When you enter your hotel room for the first time, what's the first thing you go for? Turning on the lamp. These were the only sources of light in the room and were inadequate. As a motel with windows facing the street and parking lot, of course we drew the blinds closed and just spent very little time in the room.

When showering the next morning, I realized that we had two conditioners and no shampoo in the toiletries. The fan didn't work, so the room was all fogged up. Finally I figured out when there was a mirror on the headboard: to comb my hair when the bathroom fan doesn't work.

This motel is very convenient to the marina and nearby restaurants. We walked to dinner and breakfast. I did appreciate the continental breakfast offered: hard boiled eggs, danishes, coffee, and orange juice.

I can tell that the management is making an effort. However, it seems to be inadequate to mask the fact that the property is an older one that still needs updates and maintenance in critical places to make its guests comfortable.

With 5 star, vague, and recent reviews from Vynessa and haydair1999, I can't help but wonder if we're talking about the same motel and if they actually stayed at the Point Loma Inn & Suites.

I'm sorry that we never met Aartie (the manager?), but even friendly and helpful service couldn't make up for the other elements of our stay that made for an uncomfortable night and a decision to never stay here again on future visits to San Diego.

Room Tip: second floor rooms away from the street will be the quietest
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank wanderer1066
GuestRelationsDept, Manager at Hotel Point Loma, responded to this review, August 25, 2013
Dear Sir,

Thank you for sharing your concerns. When booking with us directly we are able to offer you various discounts to ensure you are getting the best value for your money. As a small inn, you can understand parking is limited, however there is a great deal of street parking as well. For security purposes we must take a copy of your ID and credit card to ensure that both items are issued to you, its mandated by the city. Thank you for sharing the inconveniences you experienced with the door because we are now going to implement weather stripping on all of our doors so future guests have limited noise coming through their room. Our beds and rooms are always open to perception and preference by each of our guests, as in this case you felt the beds were hard and your wife was comfortable. We appreciate you noticing our efforts in remodeling, and since your stay we have completely remodeled five of our rooms and they are impeccable. As a small inn, with a great location, and fantastic prices we offer our guests sincere value.

Travelers are raving about these San Diego hotels

Orange, California
Reviewed August 7, 2013

Stayed for the weekend. The location is great, walking distance to some great resturants. The room was small, I was very nervous about the stay but it was not to bad. The bed was comfortable, room needs to be updated. I was disappointed that the room was not cleaned the next day while we were gone, I know they came into the room because there were new towels in the restroom, trash was taken out but bed was not made. Breakfast was very disappointing, their lobby was very small the only thing available for breakfast was coffee, tea and small wheat thin bags. This would not be my primary pick to stay again but if I ever had to do a last minute trip I may concsider staying here again

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
GuestRelationsDept, Manager at Hotel Point Loma, responded to this review, August 8, 2013
Thank you for posting a review for our hotel. We regret not being able to provide you with one of our newly remodeled rooms during your stay, however, we are working on remodeling on all of our rooms. We have spoke to our housekeeper about the bed not being made, and it was definitely an error on her part for not going back and making the bed. As for the breakfast, after reading your review it seems that you had come to the office for breakfast once it had ended, and the items you saw out were our afternoon snack that we offer. We hope that you will visit us again, and we are able to accommodate you in one of our newly remodeled rooms,
Golden Valley, Arizona
Reviewed July 11, 2013

This hotel is amazing. I have never stayed with them and went online before booking to check out what others had to say about it. Everyone was right on about this hotel. The staff is wonderful and the hospitality is just amazing!! When we go down to San Diego we will be staying here.
Thank you Aartie for all your help as well!!

Room Tip: The Queen Suite was just the right size for my family and very spacious.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
GuestRelationsDept, Front Office Manager at Hotel Point Loma, responded to this review, July 22, 2013
You have sincerely touch our hearts with your comments. Our company, hotel, and staff are dedicated to making each guest stay superb, and we will continue to provide this exceptional service to all guests. Aarti wanted me to thank you as she has appreciative of your review.
Los Angeles, California, United States
Reviewed July 6, 2013

I planned a last minute trip to San Diego this weekend with my husband and my two year old son. We found a room at Point Loma Inn. The room was renovated but it was very small. The bed was old and when we asked for extra towels we got two that looked like old rags. There was a door connecting to the other room and you could hear everything (I'm sure they heard our toddler too). There was limited parking too. I guess it's a good place if you are going fishing but not a good place for family. Better planning next time.

1 Thank Claudia L