“my stay was pleasant”

Ranked #206 of 278 Hotels in San Diego
Baton Rouge, Louisiana
“my stay was pleasant”
Reviewed August 23, 2013

my room was very nice it was all non smoking and luckily noone smoked in the designated smoking area cause it was right below my window which was opened when I went it (it's that nice of weather there) the employees were nice and the area had lots of local eateries and stores.

Room Tip: had no pool but the beach was only about 10 mins away, had a very nice flat screen tv only thing tha...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
GuestRelationsDept, General Manager at Hotel Point Loma, responded to this review, August 29, 2013
We are thrilled by the review you have shared with future guests. It is always a priority to provide value for all of our guests through the location of our hotel, complimentary amenities, and of course the quality of our rooms. We want to thank you sincerely for your kind words.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (36)
Peoria, Arizona
Reviewed August 13, 2013

My wife and I were in San Diego for the 4th of July weekend and did not want to spend $250.00 per night for a room where we would not be spending lots of time. This worked well. Great location, free parking, friendly staff (mostly) and inexpensive. The room was clean and the motel is right across the street from some great restaurants. Some loud neighbors but we slept thru the commotion and had a great time. Walked out to see the fireworks on Shelter Island, ate some great Thai food and fresh seafood at the Point Loma Seafood place across the street. I would recommend for less particular people (like us) but with some reservations for picky folks.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
GuestRelationsDept, General Manager at Hotel Point Loma, responded to this review, August 25, 2013
Thank you for posting your honest opinion of our hotel. We appreciate you giving us the opportunity on such an eventful weekend to be your choice of accommodations. Our staff is dedicated to making your experience at our hotel a positive one, and its unfortunate that your neighbors were not respectful of your stay. As you mentioned, we are near a variety of fabulous restaurants, and being right across the street from the water is always a plus. Once again thank you for writing us a review.
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed August 10, 2013

My wife and I chose this hotel for the affordable price and the various discount offers available (weekday stay, AAA, etc). We're in our mid-30's with a two-year-old. We were travelling to San Diego for a night of uninterrupted sleep away from our daughter. We didn't get it by staying at the Point Loma Inn & Suites.

It was our first time visiting the Point Loma area, so we didn't know that this hotel faces a busy street (Rosecrans) and every room has a door that opens to the parking lot. The property is small, so parking is very tight. Arriving around 7pm, we got the last spot on the lot and assumed that the hotel was full for the night so requesting another room if ours didn't suit us wasn't an option.

At check in, we arrived to an empty reception office. With no bell to ring to alert the staff to our presence, we resorted to yelling "hello?!" whereupon a staff member arrived. She was friendly and efficient in processing us. I was surprised that my drivers license and credit card were photocopied and I had to give my thumbprint and signature on the paper. It was never explained to me what this was for, I could only assume that it was related to covering for possible damages to the room. (Yes, we can prove that it was you Professor Plum, we've got your thumbprints all over the candlestick in the bedroom!)

We stayed in room 104, which is right next to the reception office. The door to our room didn't do a good job of blocking out the noise from the outside. It jiggled even when locked, not giving us a sense of security and it let in noise and light to our room through the space between the door and frame. We could hear people talking outside until 11:30pm and woke to hear a loud talking, late arriving guest speak at the reception window around 3am.

Also contributing to our lack of sleep was the mattress quality. It felt well worn with weak springs in some areas. I felt more spring than plush comfort. Needless to say, neither my wife nor I got a good night's sleep. My wife would like me to say here that she didn't have a problem with the bed. I don't think my sleep number is that far out, but let me just say that this bed didn't have it.

To their credit, I could tell that our room had been remodeled and some nice touches were added, like a mirrored headboard, pictures, and a modern color palate. Still, the lamps in our room had shades that looked dented from falling and weren't replaced. When you enter your hotel room for the first time, what's the first thing you go for? Turning on the lamp. These were the only sources of light in the room and were inadequate. As a motel with windows facing the street and parking lot, of course we drew the blinds closed and just spent very little time in the room.

When showering the next morning, I realized that we had two conditioners and no shampoo in the toiletries. The fan didn't work, so the room was all fogged up. Finally I figured out when there was a mirror on the headboard: to comb my hair when the bathroom fan doesn't work.

This motel is very convenient to the marina and nearby restaurants. We walked to dinner and breakfast. I did appreciate the continental breakfast offered: hard boiled eggs, danishes, coffee, and orange juice.

I can tell that the management is making an effort. However, it seems to be inadequate to mask the fact that the property is an older one that still needs updates and maintenance in critical places to make its guests comfortable.

With 5 star, vague, and recent reviews from Vynessa and haydair1999, I can't help but wonder if we're talking about the same motel and if they actually stayed at the Point Loma Inn & Suites.

I'm sorry that we never met Aartie (the manager?), but even friendly and helpful service couldn't make up for the other elements of our stay that made for an uncomfortable night and a decision to never stay here again on future visits to San Diego.

Room Tip: second floor rooms away from the street will be the quietest
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank wanderer1066
GuestRelationsDept, Manager at Hotel Point Loma, responded to this review, August 25, 2013
Dear Sir,

Thank you for sharing your concerns. When booking with us directly we are able to offer you various discounts to ensure you are getting the best value for your money. As a small inn, you can understand parking is limited, however there is a great deal of street parking as well. For security purposes we must take a copy of your ID and credit card to ensure that both items are issued to you, its mandated by the city. Thank you for sharing the inconveniences you experienced with the door because we are now going to implement weather stripping on all of our doors so future guests have limited noise coming through their room. Our beds and rooms are always open to perception and preference by each of our guests, as in this case you felt the beds were hard and your wife was comfortable. We appreciate you noticing our efforts in remodeling, and since your stay we have completely remodeled five of our rooms and they are impeccable. As a small inn, with a great location, and fantastic prices we offer our guests sincere value.

Travelers are raving about these San Diego hotels

Orange, California
Reviewed August 7, 2013

Stayed for the weekend. The location is great, walking distance to some great resturants. The room was small, I was very nervous about the stay but it was not to bad. The bed was comfortable, room needs to be updated. I was disappointed that the room was not cleaned the next day while we were gone, I know they came into the room because there were new towels in the restroom, trash was taken out but bed was not made. Breakfast was very disappointing, their lobby was very small the only thing available for breakfast was coffee, tea and small wheat thin bags. This would not be my primary pick to stay again but if I ever had to do a last minute trip I may concsider staying here again

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
GuestRelationsDept, Manager at Hotel Point Loma, responded to this review, August 8, 2013
Thank you for posting a review for our hotel. We regret not being able to provide you with one of our newly remodeled rooms during your stay, however, we are working on remodeling on all of our rooms. We have spoke to our housekeeper about the bed not being made, and it was definitely an error on her part for not going back and making the bed. As for the breakfast, after reading your review it seems that you had come to the office for breakfast once it had ended, and the items you saw out were our afternoon snack that we offer. We hope that you will visit us again, and we are able to accommodate you in one of our newly remodeled rooms,
Golden Valley, Arizona
Reviewed July 11, 2013

This hotel is amazing. I have never stayed with them and went online before booking to check out what others had to say about it. Everyone was right on about this hotel. The staff is wonderful and the hospitality is just amazing!! When we go down to San Diego we will be staying here.
Thank you Aartie for all your help as well!!

Room Tip: The Queen Suite was just the right size for my family and very spacious.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
GuestRelationsDept, Front Office Manager at Hotel Point Loma, responded to this review, July 22, 2013
You have sincerely touch our hearts with your comments. Our company, hotel, and staff are dedicated to making each guest stay superb, and we will continue to provide this exceptional service to all guests. Aarti wanted me to thank you as she has appreciative of your review.
Los Angeles, California, United States
Reviewed July 6, 2013

I planned a last minute trip to San Diego this weekend with my husband and my two year old son. We found a room at Point Loma Inn. The room was renovated but it was very small. The bed was old and when we asked for extra towels we got two that looked like old rags. There was a door connecting to the other room and you could hear everything (I'm sure they heard our toddler too). There was limited parking too. I guess it's a good place if you are going fishing but not a good place for family. Better planning next time.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Claudia L
ABQ
Reviewed July 4, 2013

My husband and I stayed 3 nights in their newly remodeled rooms. It was very pleasant. The location is great and not heavily trafficked like other parts of SD. You will be near all the great places to visit in SD. The hotel is walking distance to Point Loma Seafoods which is highly recommended. Great things about this quaint hotel:

~ Nice remodeled rooms ( makes you feel like your paying top dollar)
~ Great price for the remodeled rooms
~ SUPER Friendly and professional staff, Vicky and her daughter went above and beyond on their hospitality and service.
~ Great location.

Cons ( but I list these with hesitation, because the rooms were freshly remodeled and the staff was waiting for the following items to come in and put in place.
~ No suitcase rack
~ No blackout curtains (but did have temporary semi blackout curtains)
~ No place to hang your clothing
~ No chair

Overall, I will say, my husband and I drove up the PCH to San Francisco and we stayed in 5 hotels throughout our trip, none compared to the nice, clean, new, quaint and friendly staff of Poiny Loma Inn and Suites.

When I go back to SD, I will definitely stay at Point Loma Inn and suites again and again and again.

Room Tip: Ignore Swiming Pool ( teribble rating) there is no pool.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Seasun C
GuestRelationsDept, Manager at Hotel Point Loma, responded to this review, July 6, 2013
Dear Miss,

I really want to thank you for your review. It’s these types of comments that makes me want to be in the hotel business. I really appreciate the words of encouragement. As for the items missing in the room we expect them on Monday. We look forward to seeing you again and again.

Take Care God Bless,