“Good value in San Diego”
Review of Hotel Point Loma

Hotel Point Loma
Ranked #207 of 278 Hotels in San Diego
Reviewed June 29, 2013

We've stayed in a vast variety of hotels from 5 star resorts to economy motels. Sometimes you want to be pampered & sometimes you just want an economical, clean, comfortable room at a reasonable price. The latter is what we hoped for and got at the Point Loma Inn. It's in a great location, within minutes of the airport, the water, and lots of great shopping & restaurants. The staff is courteous & friendly. We wish the "free breakfast" was a bit more robust than pastries & coffee, but it is free! The rooms are clean and pretty well maintained and the price is about half (or less) of what the large hotels in the area charge. On this trip, we preferred to save our money for fine dining and shopping. The Point Loma Inn is a good value and we had a pleasant stay here.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business
GuestRelationsDept, General Manager at Hotel Point Loma, responded to this reviewResponded July 1, 2013

You are the ideal hotel guest, staying in all types of hotels, motels, and inns and setting the right expectation for the accommodation you choose to stay at. It is crucial that future guests understand where and what they are receiving for a hotel and that it meets their expectations prior to booking a hotel. A hotel should not be based on solely the lowest price, as the guest expects more from the hotel then they paid for. We thank you for being the perfect guest, and for taking the time to share your hotel experience.

There are newer reviews for Hotel Point Loma

A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed June 18, 2013

I confess I wasn't too impressed last year when I visited Point Loma Inn and Suites. I had a suite which was ok, clean, but quite old. But this year the price was good, and it's near family and friends, so I tried again. Imagine my surprise when they showed me a lovely kitchenette, completely new, a flat-screen tv, tiled floors, everything so clean and fresh... They are in process of renovating all the rooms, and due to location, and quality for the price, it's a place I'm coming back to. Management is friendly and cooperative. Continental breakfast is skinny, but with a kitchen in the room I make my own anyway. It's close to some great places to eat (I like Brigantine, and Point Loma Fish and Seafood, a short walk away). They haven't finished all the rooms yet, but I bet they will get them done in short order. And they take pets, so I can take my Yorkie with me! I'm coming back!

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
GuestRelationsDept, Manager at Hotel Point Loma, responded to this reviewResponded June 19, 2013

We are so glad you were able to stay in one of our newly remodeled rooms. Your review definitely encourages us to complete the rest of the rooms, so that all of our guests can have the same experience you did. We sincerely appreciate you giving us the opportunity to provide you with a fabulous stay, and we hope to see you and your yorkie soon. Thanks again!

Reviewed June 16, 2013

Stayed at the point loma inn and suites,the room and staff were incredible. The only thing i wish was a lot .better was the parking. The lot was small. But other than that,it was worth the trip. Especially in a pinch.

Room Tip: Nothing, room was great
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Pam B

It was our pleasure to serve you during your visit to San Diego. It is our number one priority to make our guests happy, if you're happy we're happy. Our rooms are clean, our staff is great, and we offer fantastic value, and thank you for attesting to those attributes.

Reviewed June 14, 2013

We stopped here because we had a hotel coupon book and the rate advertised was $49.95 plus tax for one bed. They said they would honor the rate and my husband decided to book. Then they said "oh, it's $10 more if there are 2 people" The ad does not say that. We decided to stay because it was in the area we wanted to be in that night. When we got to the room and started unpacking we decided to go for a walk. I had clothes and bags on the bed and my husband had started unpacking and his things were on the sofa. We closed the blinds and put out the do not disturb sign. When we returned, the sign was still out but someone had entered anyway and moved all our things off the bed and sofa and put them on the carpet between the bed and closet and the carpet was damp. Do not know why this was done. Luckily I had all valuables with me. I don't feel that in lieu of an emergency that they had any right to enter the room
The room was clean and comfortable and close to the harbor/marina. However, if you are thinking of staying here you may want to consider other properties in the 2 block area such as Ramada, Vagabond Inn, Quality Inn, Dolphin Motel and a Best Western. I doubt we would stay again

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank Patrick and Mer... C
GuestRelationsDept, General Manager at Hotel Point Loma, responded to this reviewResponded June 22, 2013

Dear Guest,
We are always very grateful for responses and reviews, these reviews always give us an opportunity to make sure our policies and procedures are robust, fair, and honest.When you booked your room you told us their would be only one person in the room but at check-in you were 2 people hence we had to charge you an extra $10. You did not have a problem to pay it at check-in so I am confused as to why you have a problems days after you checked out of our hotel. In any case we will be more then happy to refund you the $10 if you wish just out of good faith. We want all of our guests to be happy and return. As for your clothes, as you noticed we just installed brand new beautiful bedding and the maid should never have put you clths on the floor, she was new but in any case she still should not have done that. We thank you again for your feedback we will learn and get better meanwhile we hope to see you again.

Reviewed June 11, 2013

Me and my wife had a great time , and we'll come back for sure next time we will be in the area . Stuff was super nice and helpful , the room was clean and nice , the price was very good and also the location . We had a blast !! Ask for aarti . She'll take good care of you .

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Rami M
GuestRelationsDept, Manager at Hotel Point Loma, responded to this reviewResponded June 15, 2013

Thank you for sharing your kind comments about our hotel and staff. We are happy to hear that all aspects of our hotel were to your satisfaction, and that you will be back the next time you are in town. Aarti sincerely appreciates you taking the time to post a review.

Reviewed June 4, 2013

We wanted to stay at a 4 star hotel in the area, but the Rock n Roll marathon took up all the really good spots. This motel popped up with better than average reviews and still a decent price. I jumped on it and got it a couple days out from Saturday night arrival.

It was a normal motel room. It did come with a kitchenette, refrigerator, microwave so this would be a cheap option if you are trying to save on costs & eating out in the area. Also, its located very close to the airport, sea world, mission bay, downtown is a quick drive, etc. There are also many small scale mom & pop restaurants walking distance along the harbor. Overall, I would not expect much and you should be satisfied.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Chazz B
GuestRelationsDept, Manager at Hotel Point Loma, responded to this reviewResponded June 6, 2013

Thank you sir for reviewing our hotel, you are correct in that we are a quaint hotel that offers clean comfortable rooms at affordable prices. We strive to provide our guests with a great stay while visiting San Diego, and we are glad we were able to do so during your trip. We hope to see you again soon!

Reviewed May 26, 2013

Only stayed one night on a short notice reservation. Staff was very pleasant and helpful. The room was brand new, or recently remodeled with new fixtures. In fact, there was still the fresh paint smell. Too bad that the telephone was not installed, nor was there any place to hang my clothes. Considering this was stated as the only room available, I was grateful for the bed.

The only surprising item that I have not encountered before, was that prior to departure and checkout they checked the rooms for damage or presence of smoke. Perhaps a good idea, but still unusual from my experience.

Also, their complimentary continental breakfast consists mostly of coffee and packaged donuts located next to the lobby counter. Serving time doesn't start until 7:30 am.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank desert-traveler59
GuestRelationsDept, Manager at Hotel Point Loma, responded to this reviewResponded June 3, 2013

Thank you for staying with us, we are so happy that we were able to accommodate you in our newly remodeled room! Our rooms were just finished the day before you checked in so the details of the room were not in place, but we did want to accommodate you so that's why we had rented the room although it was not fully furnished. We do check your room before you checkout, as we want to make sure the room is in the same condition as it was so that future guests may enjoy the same experience. We are glad that your stay was enjoyable, and we hope to see you soon!