“Hey, Sanjay-get some new matresses!”
Review of Western Inn

Western Inn
Ranked #131 of 278 Hotels in San Diego
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed November 22, 2011

Okay, this place is within walking distance to bars, restaurants, and the trolley station. The rooms were clean and the maid service was good. Our room had a coffee pot, fridge, and microwave as well as a large pantry if we wanted to store some food.
Parking is $6 a night which was a surprise to me.
The bed was terrible, possibly the stiffest mattress I have ever slept on (including Mexico hotels).
The place is definitely no frills, and the room is poorly insulated. The continental breakfast consisted of two choices-a mini muffin or frosted flakes. That's it. Coffee or milk to drink. Not complaining, it was sufficient to get us started, but I would not consider this a "continental breakfast". However, considering the location I would stay here again-just maybe pack and egg crate pad to soften the terrible bed.

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Western Inn

Reviewed November 21, 2011

This hotel's convenience to everything in Old Town is it's biggest plus. Price is not bad either. It is a comfortable, no-frills hotel. The king-size bed was comfortable (fitted sheets didn't fit, though), the water pressure in the shower was incredible. After staying in many foreign countries I've come to appreciate this. A privacy wall outside my room made me feel a bit closed in. There is a nice balcony area with tables on the back of the hotel. I found it accidentally. Sanjay at the front desk was very friendly and helpful.

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled solo
westerninn, Manager at Western Inn, responded to this reviewResponded November 22, 2011

We thank you for your review we try our best to make all our guest happy. We hope to see you again.

Reviewed September 19, 2011

My husband and I stumbled across this place 5 years ago and have been staying ever since. For an older hotel I have no complaints. It has covered parking, which I like and is walking distance to everything including the trolly which can take you practically anywhere you want for about 4 bucks. The rooms are clean, tidy and unintrusive. WE always have a coffee pot for fresh coffee and a refrigerator if requesting one. You are provided with a continental breakfast downstairs, which includes the usual, oj, tea, several cereal brands, and muffins, enough to get your motor going before you start out on the days adventure. The staff personal are all friendly and our host, GM Mr. Sanjay is a very nice person, always ready to help, and smiling all the time. I like the hotel for all its worth, nothing too fancy, no flatscreens (ill bring that to his attention, hee, hee) but just plain nice. WE are not in the rooms for any length of time so it suits our needs perfectly. and just off the highway which is great.

Room Tip: third floor facing the street towards old town was actually quiet. Rooms are reasonable, clean, goo...
  • Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank vonnielasvegas
Reviewed September 17, 2011

The room was okay, bed good, area great. Nice front desk staff and nice area for exploring. Lots to do around the hotel. The room was dark and forlorn but that was okay, the bed was good and it had a fridge and micro, i think. Great area, Old Town San Diego is awesome. Crazee Burger is stellar, so is Coyote Grill. Too much good food and drink makes for a good trip. Beaches are a short drive. Downtown Gaslamp is epic.

Room Tip: some are dark and dreary, some are nicer.
  • Stayed: August 2011, traveled solo
Reviewed August 10, 2011

Avoid this place. During my stay I was parked in the hotel garage in a designated space when a clay roof tile fell and severely damaged the hood of my car. The hotel staff showed a lack of concern and still has not taken responsibility for the incident. Sanjay, the GM on duty, won't even return phone calls to my insurance company. Stay anywhere but here if you decide to make Old Town your home base on your visit to San Diego.

Stayed: May 2011, traveled with friends
Reviewed June 10, 2011

I have no complaint, because I know this was an old 2 star. There is no pool, and nearly no amenities outside of the room. I always wonder why reviewers don't mention the bed quality. Isn't that why we all get rooms...to get a good nights sleep? The mattresses are foam and the box springs should have been replaced 5 years ago...they sag. However, I slept great and was blown away, because I expected the worst. Draw your own conclusions.

If you want to visit San Diego and you are on a budget, choose this place. If you can afford a $120/night nicer room and you aren't used to Motel 6 level of accommodations, don't even consider it. After 2 nights here, we moved up to a 4 star resort in Carlsbad 30 minutes north to visit Legoland for 3 days. I could never have done it the other way around.

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed June 10, 2011

This is located right beside the Courtyard Marriot and that seems to be the best way to explain it to many of the taxi drivers. The staff is the friendliest I have seen in the area and willing to go the extra mile to help guests out when they need it. Guest laundry facilities are available. There is no shuttle from this motel and you will need to get a taxi or rental car to travel to most places but when you factor in the much lower price and the fact that the staff is so helpful, it is a small sacrifice. We highly recommend this place to first time visitors on a budget who want to be centrally located to Sea World, Balboa Park, and the harbor.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled with family