“Good Value”

Hampton Inn San Diego/Del Mar
Ranked #66 of 279 Hotels in San Diego
Reviewed December 8, 2010

Good value for this hotel. We are paying under $100 US per night. It is clean and staff if very friendly. Only draw backs, poor gym facility, heat pool outdoor that is right in front of main entrance (no indoor pool) and small business centre. It only has 1 printer to be shared by entire hotel.

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled on business

Reviewed September 23, 2010

I travel a lot (about to reclaim my Hilton Diamond status) and frequently stay in Hampton Inns. This one needs some upgrades though. While the public areas are nice, the rooms are on the small side considering this is a suburban area. The hardware also seems to need some updating. For example, faucet control was a little lose in the sink. Whenever I turned on the water was afraid I'd pull it out of the sink. Closets are behind a mirror and very small. Rooms don't have fridge or microwave (unless you get upgraded, which I had to specifically ask for even though I'm currently a Gold HHonors member after being placed in a regular room).

Location is in Del Mar near Oracle and all the law firms. Malls are within driving distance. Reception has a helpful map listing restaurants and shops in the area. Ok Mexican restaurant right next door.

Hotel is right off of I5 so very easy to get too but can be loud with all the traffic if you're facing the road. I always bring ear plugs with me so not an issue for me.

There are several hotels nearby including Marriot and a Hilton Doubletree. I'll probably try the Doubletree next time.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled on business
Reviewed September 18, 2010

We stayed one night, from 12-13 September 2010. The facilities were comfortable, functional and no frills. Everything in my room was clean and in good condition, and the bed was very comfortable. My only grouse about the room is the absence of a valuables safe.

The location, at the intersection of two freeways, is probably ideal if you're on business in San Diego or the surrounding area (20 minutes' drive to downtown SD and within easy reach of surrounding towns, e.g. Carlsbad), but leisure travellers should probably bear in mind that it's not within walking distance of any tourist attractions. The dining room in the hotel only does breakfast: for dinner you'll need to go somewhere else. There is a strip mall with a number of restaurants about 15 minutes' walk away (the walk looked to me to be perfectly safe after dark), and there is also a restaurant and bar in the Marriott just across the street, though the restaurant is closed on Sundays. The hotel staff were all very friendly and helpful. The room rate was OK for what it was: neither a ripoff nor a bargain.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 8, 2010

It is an excellent hotel. The room is nice, clean and comfortable to stay. We arrived in the afternoon from Los Angeles. We took a nap after check in and went to old town and the next day San Diego zoo. The location is convenient. There is AMPM next door. It is near the hwy but it is so quiet with window closed, while you can also open the window to have fresh air. Windows in some hotels cannot be opened. It is not ocean view but it is mountain view. I like it! The TV and internet are good too. You need to check the little booklet in the drawer for the attraction info. We got coupons from there for San Diego zoo with $10 discount. The breakfast is so good, yummy and so many choices. You can even make fresh waffle by yourself!

Stayed: September 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 8, 2010

We had drove in from LAX taking the Pacific Coast Highway. That was the most Beautiful Ride ever! If you got the time you gotta try it out. We were tired and really looking forward to relaxing in our rooms. The Front Desk people were very friendly and offered suggestions on where to eat or where to go for Happy Hour. The rooms were extremely clean and the beds were like sleeping on clouds! The rooms are spacious. The Breakfast offered on Saturday was awesome. They offered a selection of breads and muffins, a selection of cereals, a selection of fruits, and you could make your own waffles. As for what happened on Sunday I don't know.....but stay away from that turkey sausage! We went out to a great restaurant and bar suggested by the front desk in Del Mar called En Fuego's for dinner. The restaurant area looks over in to the Bar Area.
A Great Place! We had a great stay at the Hampton Inn for a reasonable price. Would highly recommend it.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled with family
Reviewed August 31, 2010

This hotel was so nice, we arrived after a long drive from Tucson, Arizona and from the 1st moment we stepped into the hotel evrything was great. The front desk chap was Robert and he was excellent, he recommeded various restaurants in the area and we went to both his recommendations on 2 different nights, the best by a long shot was the Godfather (10 min walk from hotel) The breakfast (free) was served in the lobby which could get quiet busy but the food was great especially the sausage patties and the Orange juice. The pool was really clean and not to busy and for me as I was new to San Diego the staff have pre printed direction cards to downtown (15 min) and the various beaches such as La Jolla which we went to (10 min) The room was great with a very large bed which was sooo comfortable and large LCD TV. The bathroom was spotless with great shower and plenty of towels. Their was a game on the weekend we stayed there with lots of fans from the visiting team there but we where not disturbed by any noise during the night. For regular visitors to San Diego this hotel may seem a bit away from the city centre but because we had a car this did not cause us any problems and the area itself at 1st glance appeared to be industrial but it has lots of restaurants close by and some shopping areas also within close proximity. I would certainly recommend this hotel to anyone who is visting San Diego but you must have a car.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled as a couple
2  Thank franDundalk_Ireland
Reviewed August 5, 2010

It was full for ComicCon and we couldn't tell there was anyone else in the hotel - not doors slamming, no one stomping overhead. I attribute this to the construction of the building. The breakfast and workout room were the some of the best I have ever used.
Rooms were roomey, new LARGE flat screen TV.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled with family