“Standard Hotel - good for lower-budget travelers”

Hampton Inn San Diego/Del Mar
Ranked #66 of 278 Hotels in San Diego
San Francisco, CA
“Standard Hotel - good for lower-budget travelers”
Reviewed January 21, 2009

This is your standard no-frills crashpad for the traveling, working stiff--clean, comfortable and basic. I've stayed twice and have had no complaints. It's easily accesible from the I-5, with a small outdoor parking lot and more parking underneath the hotel. (The outside parking can fill up pretty quickly.) There is currently no wi-fi in the rooms but the ensuite desk is neatly set up with an cord for the Internets.

The King bed is large, pillowed and comfortable. You wield convenient control over the air conditioner, and when it's running you don't hear any noise from the freeway. Water pressure is fine, and the bathroom is larger than most. Free toiletries include shampoo, conditioner, bath and face soap, mouthwash.

Breakfast is also nothing exciting, but free and plentiful -- there is usually some sort of hot offering available - meat such as bacon or sausage; french toast, pancakes; sometimes eggs. One can make toast, or select biscuits or bagels. There are pastries, yogurt, fruit, coffee and juice.

Definitely not a bad, nonextravagant place for business travel in today's tough economic times.

• Liked — Cleanliness, price
  • Stayed January 2009, traveled on business
2 Thank bonequinha_sf

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (67)
  • Korean first
Las Vegas
Reviewed May 29, 2008

Greeted nicely when we arrived, but the maid service was lacking in the second day (not enough towels, didn't replace amenities). I'm sure could have been fixed with a phone call, but when in the middle of bathing kids, wasn't going to bother. Very nice continental breakfast, but wasn't crazy about the hot foods, but plenty of fruit, pastries and yogurt and well as other cold items(which seemed healthier anyway). Right off the expressway, so really no where to walk with little ones for a stroll, also, pool very small but seemed like guests enjoyed it.

• Stayed May 2008, traveled with family
2 Thank hudeni
Beaverton, Oregon
Reviewed May 10, 2008

Stayed just for a night on a quick business trip to San Diego. I like staying in the Del Mar area, since it's usually cheaper than downtown or Hotel Circle, and traffic usually not an issue getting in or out of the city. Plus there's easy access to Hwy 101 and all the beach communities.

This is a standard Hampton Inn which means good quality, nice comfortable room and bed, nice lobby, etc. The wifi doesn't reach to the upper floors, which i like to stay in. Not a problem, as they have a hard wired connection in the room that was fine. Very clean place, didn't hear neighboors. It's very close to both I-5 and CA 56 bypass, but I didn't hear the highways as long as I had the fan/ac unit on.

My only thing to comment negatively on was the water in the room out of the bathroom sink tasted terrible -- really loaded with chemicals that made me nauseous, even from just brushing my teeth. Of all the reviews I've done here on T.A. around the country, I've never noted this before and it was so strong and noticeable I had to mention it.

Stayed May 2008
4 Thank hotelreviewer333
Merritt Island, Florida
Reviewed August 14, 2007

We stayed at this hotel for three nights during our recent vacation to San Diego. There was me, my hubby, and my son. The hotel was clean and the front desk staff were pretty helpful. The room was also very clean but small. I think this hotel is just fine for the business traveller, but it did not meet my needs for a family vacation. The free breakfast was poor with limited options. The attendants did keep everything stocked and clean however. The pool was small and right next to the parking lot so it did not have a "fun" feel at all. After arriving my son said, "This is NOT the pool!" Yes, I'm afraid it is.

I originally chose this hotel thinking it would be a good jumping off point for day trips and it had free parking and free breakfast, but I wish I would have spent the extra money and stayed in town. I did not realize how difficult it would be to go back out in the evening with the traffic.

Also, our last night there, a very loud sports group showed up and were yelling in the other room and running up and down the halls. When we called and complained, we could literrally hear their phone ring in the other room and the man saying, "They think that is loud, I'll show them what loud is!" I put my ear plugs in and called it a night!

If you're looking for a family vacation hotel in San Diego, skip this area and stay where the action is.

• Liked — Comfortable bedding
  • Disliked — Location
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled with family
3 Thank sshuttle
Phoenix, AZ
Reviewed June 23, 2007

We just spent two (weekend) nights at this hotel and were pleased with our experience. The front desk staff were friendly and efficient; Marie was particularly helpful and kind. Our room was clean and comfortable, with plenty of pillows provided and a bathroom larger than most. Although the hotel was practically full both nights of our stay, we never heard any noise from the guests around us. The parking lot and garage filled up each night, but even the night we returned from a 'ghost tour' at 1 a.m. we had no trouble finding an available space.

The breakfast room was large, spacious and clean - I counted 18 tables available and there were two 'living room sets' on each end of the room as well, supplying additional seating with sofas and chairs. The food was fresh and plentiful, with everything from fresh fruits, cereals, muffins, bagles, danishes, yogurt sausage, ham, biscuits, fried eggs, milk, juices and coffee/tea/cocoa. Coffee is available all day/night - I definitely appreciated that!

The hotel itself is located right off a freeway and although our room faced the freeway interchange and the Taco Bell, the 'noise' was not bad at all. It was also very convenient to have the gas station/mini mart right next door. We didn't have time to use the pool, but several other people appeared to be enjoying their swim and again the area was clean and well maintained.

Stayed June 2007
2 Thank Desert Family
Houston, Texas
Reviewed March 8, 2007

Located in a quiet upscale office park with several other hotels, across street from a 12 story Marriott & Tio Leo Mexican Restaurant, 2 blocks to a Souplantation. good exercise rm - 1 treadmill & 4 other workout stations, computer available (often slow) in corner of breakfast rm, ethernet cable at table in room. Large upscale breakfast area - better than the usual bakery items that you find at these free breakfasts. No micro or refer in our room, but a micro is available in breakfast area. Quiet, only once in 4 nights did we hear TV or talking from the next room. In addition to the surface parking around the hotel, a parking garage was located under the hotel. Pricier than usual for our leisure trip stays, but it was comfortable, quiet and somewhat nicer than the average chain hotel.

• Liked — location, nice hotel
  • Stayed February 2007, traveled as a couple
2 Thank BigTXN
California
Reviewed October 18, 2006

Don't be fooled by the Hampton Inn name - great for the price. Convenient access to the freeway & restaurants are nearby. A gas station right next door. Rooms were clean & enough room for a family of 4. Breakfast was avail w/staff checking to make sure everything was replenished & constantly cleaning. Definitely will stay here again.

Stayed September 2006
#103 of 278 in San Diego
Homewood Suites by Hilton San Diego-Del Mar
Best Western Premier Hotel Del Mar
Hampton Inn San Diego - Kearny Mesa

Been to Hampton Inn San Diego/Del Mar? Share your experiences!