“positive”

Ranked #68 of 279 Hotels in San Diego
Grand Rapids, United States
“positive”
Reviewed August 18, 2013

I rate this Hampton EXCELLENT. The room was clean, and freshened every day. The bed was extremely comfortable. I had no problems. Breakfast was plentiful, healthy and changed daily. Coffee was excellent. I would stay here again

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Hampton

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (67)
  • Korean first
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed August 14, 2013

I've never seen such obnoxious front desk clerks in my life as the brash young man who felt the need to interject his agreement with his "supervisor" that I was disagreeing with, and the smirky woman who claimed that the sign on the wall claiming "manager on duty" with a name wasn't really true, that a "supervisor" not "manager (someone above her)" was "on shift" not "on duty" and was not physically available to voice my complaints to!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
Review collected in partnership with Hampton

drehobl, General Manager at Hampton Inn San Diego/Del Mar, responded to this review, August 15, 2013
We are sorry we were not able to provide you with a better quality of service. This is not typical of our usual Hamptonality and welcoming staff, and we are always looking for ways to improve our customer experience. Your satisfaction is very important to us and we try hard to make sure all of our guests have a great stay. Thank you for your feedback and we hope you will come back and stay with us again.
San Ramon, California
Reviewed August 10, 2013 via mobile

Stayed here while visiting family. Clean hotel, comfortable beds and pillows, free wifi and free parking, along with a free basic breakfast.

Easy access to the five freeway.

The pool area is located in an odd area and small.

• Stayed August 2013
Portland, OR USA
Reviewed August 4, 2013

Clean, quiet enough.... I paid $169 base per night at height of summer season. Quick visit to see area colleges and surf with my teenage son. 5 minute drive gets you to Torrey Pines State Park/Beach. Visit this beach during the week and you'll find parking available in the big lot at the main entrance. A little further north is Del Mar. Nothing super luxurious, not really a romantic get away place.... But perfect for a quick value oriented stop in San Diego. About 20 minutes north of downtown.... With traffic this can be a 40 minute drive.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Sacramento, CA
Reviewed August 4, 2013

Loved the easy access to the 5 freeway combined with relative proximity to shopping/dining and the beach. Desk staff was always pleasant, from check-in to check-out. I had printing/copying/faxing to do and they never batted an eyelash when I asked for help. This hotel has the option of outside or garage parking, both free - I liked that! And free WiFi worked wonderfully. My room was clean and I loved the bed, but I think carpets and bathrooms could use a bit of updating. Also, I found out at night that this is a pet friendly hotel, and not all the pets are so friendly! To be fair, the dogs made less noise than my kids typically do. Breakfast was nice, I appreciated the hot options (eggs, sausage, oatmeal). Coffee was very good. Taco Bell and AMPM are next door, a nice shopping center is very close up the road for lots of shopping and dining options. It was a pleasant 10 minute drive to the beach.

A few months ago, I stayed at the neighboring Marriott property - very classy, but no free WiFi or free breakfast. During peak season, price differential makes the Hampton Inn an irresistible value, but I was a bit amazed when I realized that my January stay at the Marriott actually was a lower rate than my July stay at Hampton Inn.

Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Shani K
Wellington, New Zealand
Reviewed August 3, 2013

Dropped in off the road, nice rate, clean room, away from the freeway.

AirCon worked great. I would stay here again.

Bed comfy, TV good, breakfast was very nice.

Plenty of parking, easy access from the main road. Bit of a drive to the ocean, didnt find it in the finish.

Room Tip: Ask for one facing away from the Freeway
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
Bloomington, Illinois
Reviewed July 30, 2013 via mobile

Extremely clean hotel. Fast check in. Close to nice restaurants by car. Drove 5mn to get the beach to see sunset. We enjoyed our stay. Should have stayed another day. Hotel was full on the weekend. We had dinner as the Del Mar Highland center, where there are two good restaurants, a grocery shop, and domino's pizza.

• Stayed July 2013
#86 of 279 in San Diego
Hampton Inn San Diego - Kearny Mesa
Homewood Suites by Hilton San Diego-Del Mar
Best Western Premier Hotel Del Mar

Been to Hampton Inn San Diego/Del Mar? Share your experiences!