“Beautiful Grounds, Excellent Hotel Service, Lovely Views”

Humphreys Half Moon Inn
Ranked #58 of 278 Hotels in San Diego
Worcestershire, England
“Beautiful Grounds, Excellent Hotel Service, Lovely Views”
Reviewed July 8, 2010

Humphreys Half Moon is really interesting. The grounds are simply beautiful, with trpoical plants, plams, ponds and carp. At night the lighting in the grounds is quite magical and the marina backdrop is stunning.

Our room entrance felt a bit like a motel, as you entered a separate block from the car park area (at first I felt a bit nervous that anyone from the street could know the door at night!). The room was very big, with a great little kitchenette and a really cosy lounge with patio doors that opened onto a ground floor balcony over looking the stage (yes the hotel has a small but cool music venue attached!) We also had a perfect view of the marina - great to watch the sunset.

The room was really clean, well presented. It was a little dated (but really that is just taste I think). The managers had seen that it was my husands birthday during our USA trip and had left a goody basket and birthday card - brilliant!

The swimming pool was gorgeous. We hate in the attached restuarant on the first night - the staff were a bit dopey. It was the only bad service we had the whole time we were in the US, it was a real contrast to the hotel staff who were great.

The location is tricky. It was great for views and only took 15 -20 mins to get to the Zoo and Sea World. It is directly across the water from downtown; this means as the sun goes down and lights come up you have great views of Downtown San Diego and the Naval base....but it isn't close to go into town at night and you would need to drive in.

All in I would reccommend the hotel.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (461)
  • Korean first
Leicesteshire, England
Reviewed June 29, 2010

This was our 3rd stay at Humphreys and i have to say that this still is our favorite hotel.
upon check in we were given room 333, we had this room the first time we stayed at Humphreys and what a difference, the room looked fantastic, it had just been renovated and we were the first to use it, New Carpets, Beds Huge flat screen TV, New Fridge and Microwave the bathroom had 2 new sinks built into an oak counter.
The grounds and gardens as usual were amazing as was the swiming pool area, the hot tub on 2 of our 7 day stay was only luke warm but the hotel staff when told quickly came and sorted it out.
as our holiday this time was spread over the 3 week we used the hotels laundry, both the washing machine and tumble driers worked very well and didnt cost much at all.
we didnt eat at Humphreys resturant this time due to the amount of different choices in the area.
Thanks Humphreys

• Stayed December 2009, traveled with family
1 Thank stuart c
Apple Valley, California
Reviewed June 28, 2010

I had the worst experience with a hotel staff in my life here. It took forever for the staff to take care of 1 person in front of me, they were rude and inattentive. After getting into an argument with them that was rather heated, I left and got expedia to refund my money. I ended up staying at another hotel across San Diego. I will never go back here again.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with family
2 Thank camarocasanova
Orlando, Florida
Reviewed June 18, 2010

We enjoyed our stay, and loved the location on Shelter Island. The pool and spa were very nice and the ducks were fun to watch. We payed extra for a renovated room (I think called premium room) and I am glad we did. The room is what I would have expected for a hotel room, so something that wasn't as nice and new - I probably would not have been happy. My only complaint was the noise. Saturday night we heard the ice machine being used ALL night long, until about 4 or 5 am. The ice machine was only a problem that Sat. night, but every night and morning we could hear everyone outside, and the people next to us. We loved the location and would probably still stay again, but the noise was kind of annoying.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
Phoenix, Arizona
Reviewed June 16, 2010

My friend and I recently stayed for 3 nights and were upgraded when I checked in early. Kristina at the front desk was "very" professional and attentive to us while at the desk, and each time we had a question. She focused her attention on "us" and did not get distracted when phones rang or other guests tried to interrupt. The head groundskeeper we spoke with, Victor, was helpful in giving directions and answered our questions about the landscaping. It was apparent that he took pride in the work that he did, as well as his staff. Our room was clean and was scenic because it overlooked the stage and marina. My brother stayed at Humphrey's a couple of days after we had and he and his wife had an incredible 25th anniversary, thanks again to Kristina and all the staff. We all will look forward to staying there in the future. Great job Humphrey's!

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with friends
Oregon
Reviewed June 3, 2010

We stayed here a week in a Grand Marina Suite. We got physically sick from a kitchen floor that was soaking wet underneath which became very musty smelling and gross. They finally moved us to another unit after 3 days. They still rented the gross unit the same day we moved out. The management of this resort does NOT care about fixing anything! We will never go back. The kitchen was not furnished with enough plates, utensils...
The pool and grounds are beautiful but not worth staying here due to the rooms.
They also say they have remodeled but it's not true, the rooms are dark, dank and dusty.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled with family
2 Thank kaskade
Portland, Oregon
Reviewed May 27, 2010

This was my first trip to San Diego and staying at Humphrey's made it most enjoyable. My mom had stayed at Humphrey's with her sisters back in October and had a wonderful stay. When my mom and I decided to take my 7 year old son to Lego Land she suggested we stay there. The grounds are beautiful and so well kept. My son was thrilled with the pool, hot tub, ping pong table and real putting green. We borrowed putters and golf balls from the front desk and he thought he was really playing golf. The staff was great. We ordered room service twice and it was delivered quickly and was adequate. The restaurants at the hotel are a bit expensive especially if you are traveling with kids. We rented a car and found several suitable places close to the hotel to eat. We were also pleased with the fact that the room had a microwave and refrigerator so we could buy cereal and milk as well as re-heat left overs for my son. The room was adequate and clean. My mom and I enjoyed sitting on our little patio and having a drink in the evening while enjoying the beautiful tropical trees, flowers and plants. The hotel has a free shuttle to the airport that we should have taken advantage of. We picked up our rental car at the airport which was a nightmare (long lines, hot, tired child). In the future I would have the car delivered to the hotel as my mom did on her previous trip. The hotel staff was very helpful with sightseeing advice and planning. All in all, San Diego is a beautiful city and we had a wonderful stay at Humphreys!

• Stayed May 2010, traveled with family