“This place ROCKS !!!!”

Ranked #61 of 279 Hotels in San Diego
Seattle, WA
“This place ROCKS !!!!”
Reviewed February 26, 2007

My wife, our 2 1/2 year old son and I just spend 3 nights at Humphrey's and thought that it was great. The place is an oasis - palm trees, banana trees, bamboo - it's a south pacific / tiki paradise. I would stay there again for sure. The only warning I would give is that they do hold outdoor concerts there from May until October. They pack about 1,700 people in for the shows. If you are planning to stay there, ask about the concerts first.

• Liked — beautiful grounds - a tropical oasis
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed February 2007, traveled with family
4 Thank Surefolly

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (449)
  • Korean first
Cornwall, UK
Reviewed February 12, 2007

We have just returned from nearly 3 weeks in California, Stayed at Humphreys after consulting tripadvisor. Some people moaned about the size of the rooms, ours was great my husband and I and Our 10 year old son spent 8 nights here. The Location was fantastic we didn't drive for more than 15 minutes to anywhere. We didn't eat here the restaurant was too pricey for us. The room was very well appointed, clean and comfortable. Check-in took moments as did check-out. Staff were always courtious and helpful. My son loved the Pool area which we had a great view of from our room. We loved San Diego for families it was great we visited Balboa park, the zoo, Sea world, La Jolla Cove (seals on the beach with their pups) Gaslamp district, Old Town (do the trolley tour) my son loved the USS Midway which was brought to life for him by all the veterans telling him how it all worked. We wnet whale watching on the Hornblower saw whales, Seals and Dolphins! I would recommend San Diego to anyone who asks me and Humphreys was a great location to explore it from.

Stayed January 2007
6 Thank MemberfromUK
Fort Wayne, Indiana
Reviewed February 5, 2007

My spouse's and my first visit to SD. Spent 4 nights here and couldn't imagine a better place.

Positives:
Location - 5 minute drive to downtown, Marina/Sea World, and Sunset views off the Pacific, yet still secluded on man-made isle. Quaint shops/cafes within 30 sec drive give a local touch.
Chief Concierge - Best I have ever had. Great listener: Spent time getting to know us, and tailored recommendations from our conversations. Her knowledge of the area was vast - not just tourist attractions, but local places that help us to see the real character of the different areas. Every recommendation was spot-on and top notch!
Pool - large, relaxing, and mostly secluded with greenery, from rest of resort. Whirlpool was excellent.
Staff - each staff member I interacted with had the same disposition of helping the guest. Had a minor question about room rate and length of stay, and manager promptly and politely addressed it.
Landscaping - The well layed out palm trees and various other kinds of greenery creates a great secluded atmosphere

Negatives:
Only one thing keeping resort from top-notch status: Noise between rooms. Heard guest above us get out-of-bed, walk around, open close dresser, talk on cell-phone, etc. He apparently only stayed one night, but could have been an issue if he stayed longer. If staying here when fully booked / concert season, would recommend contacting front-desk ahead of arrival to secure quiet room location.

• Liked — Conciegre
  • Disliked — soundproofing of rooms
  • Stayed January 2007, traveled as a couple
8 Thank IndianaTravelSeeker
San Diego, California
Reviewed December 26, 2006

The hotel property overall is beautiful - lots of plants and greenery, and the location is great. But the standard room we had was a great disappointment. The decor did not match the exterior theme - there was nothing "tropical" about it whatsoever. In fact, it was quite dull and had ugly, tacky wallpaper (beige floral and stripes).

We had a double room, but there was only one luggage rack. (Does that make sense??) However, upon calling the front desk, they promptly brought us another. We also had an issue with the drain plug in the bathroom, which was also promptly attended to by a very friendly maintenance guy.

The very worst thing was that the room had absolutely HORRIBLE lighting. It was like living in a cave.

However, we had a patio which was semi-private, and on the upper floor there was a deck with a table & chairs, which overlooked the boat marina. In the morning, we were surprised by a bunch of ducks waddling up to our patio - and they would have waddled right on into our room if we had let them! So we had fun feeding the ducks.

There is a computer in the lobby with free Internet access, but it was down 3 out of the 5 days that we were there.

Other reviewers here have mentioned free upgrades, but those front desk people didn't budge an inch with us....

• Liked — The exterior grounds had a tropical feel, very lush and green
  • Disliked — The room was dark as a pit
  • Stayed January 2007, traveled with family
6 Thank green_spark
Pasadena, CA
Reviewed December 11, 2006

My boyfriend and I stay at Humphrey's to celebrate his birthday. I booked Queen Room with an Ocean view in advanced and was surprised to learn when we checked in that they upgraded our room to a Marina View suite. It the room and marina view we so nice. They even had champagne waiting for us in our room when we arrived. The more we walked around the hotel, the more we liked it. We ordered room service twice and the food was pretty good. The concierge was helpful with directions. On Sunday morning, we went swimming in the pool which was the perfect temperature. We had a great time at this hotel.

• Liked — Location, room, view, service
  • Tips/Secrets — Let the hotel know if you will be celebrating a birthday or anniversary
  • Stayed December 2006, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Natalie580
Placitas, New Mexico
Reviewed November 18, 2006

Stayed here the last week in October 2006 for a meeting. Had heard some not-go-good things about the hotel, so was a little apprehensive. I was attending a meeting there with about 100 people, and had heard negative things about the conference rooms. I have to say, the conference rooms are GREAT!...the service was impeccable, so the meetings went very well. My room (I was fortunate enough to have a 2nd floor room that overlooked the bay). It was a nice room, quite roomy and comfortable.

If there was a bad thing, I would say it was the service at the lobby when I checked in. Two people at the desk, both ignored me for probably 1-2 minutes (doesn't sound like a long time, but when you're the ONLY one in the lobby, it was rather odd). Finally got recognized, and the young man said, he would be with me shortly. Again, I kept standing. Finally he finished his "paperwork" and checked me in "somewhat reluctantly". Never could figure out why the terse treatment at the front desk, because the rest of the service was great throughout the week.

I do have one quick story.....eating lunch in the restaurant (very good food by the way). The waiter (female) came to give us the check, one person in my party said they only had a $20, so if the waiter could break it (read here...a tip would be coming), the waiter said, "I don't have change" (somewhat snotty). She left, brought back the others at our table credit card receipts and brought the other person's $20 bill back. We just laughed....so much for her tip!

Again, it's a nice hotel, the grounds are superb, the marina is a refreshing view, and the BEST BEST BEST walk of the morning is along the bay....beautiful path, sounds of sea lions, watching boats (and cruiseships), pelicans flying overhead....absolutely peaceful.

Stayed October 2006
11 Thank Brit63izzy
Boston
Reviewed November 16, 2006

We booked a room with a water view and found that the view we had when we checked in was not what we were expecting. Our water view was across the parking lot and was not as nice as the rooms on the other side. However, the room itself was nice and the beds were comfortable. The next morning we went to the front desk just to see if there were other rooms available on the side we were interested in and the woman at the front desk was so friendly, professional and made a room change for us on the spot. We were moved to a room with a balcony and a view of all the boats in the marina via the outdoor concert stage are for the same price as our original room. We could not have been happier with how wonderful she was to us! The food at the restaurant was great both times we ate there - the light dinner and hearty breakfast were both great - the wait staff attentive and friendly. One suggestion if you're interested in massage or manicure/pedicure type treatments would be to make arrangements before your arrival if you can (with the concierge). Overall we were very happy with our 5 night stay at Humphrey's and would definitely stay there again!

• Liked — View from room
  • Disliked — Noise during early Sunday morning event (sound check at 6 a.m. on Sunday for road race) - not a huge deal but a little too early for us!
  • Tips/Secrets — If there is not a concert scheduled you should ask for a room on the 2nd floor overlooking the stage area.
  • Stayed October 2006, traveled with family