“Lovely location”

Humphreys Half Moon Inn
Ranked #54 of 278 Hotels in San Diego
Reviewed July 16, 2005

I've stayed in other locations in San Diego - downtown and on Mission Bay - so was excited about staying in a new neighborhood. The location of the hotel was wonderful! Right across the street from my room was a walking path along the Bay. It was a beautiful way to start - and end - the day. As I was on Eastern Time waking up on the Pacific Coast, I found myself up at about 3:00 each morning, and felt completely safe walking alone along the Bay until the rest of the city awoke.

Yes, the walls are thin and I heard every intimate detail of the lives of the people above me. But, I didn't hear any airplanes, which was a surprise being so close to the airport.

I was there for a week for a conference and relied on a shuttle to take me to the Convention Center downtown so I didn't rent a car. Having no car - and no desire to spend $20 each way taking a taxi into the heart of the city - made it difficult finding dinner on nights when there were concerts at Humphrey's. Walking to the "mainland", I was able to find Miguel's, a nice Mexican restaurant (nothing to write home about but good food and interesting decor). Be prepared to walk quite a distance to find food when the hotel's restaurant is reserved for concert-goers.

Overall, the room was comfortable, the service was great, and the location was beautiful.

On my last night at Humphrey's, I attended a concert on the grounds and thoroughly enjoyed the intimate setting on the Bay. Coming from the sweltering MidWest, I was anticipating an outdoor setting to become rather uncomfortable as the sun set, but was delighted to experience a cool musical evening without mosquitos!

• Stayed: June 2005, traveled on business
5  Thank SBMLMK
Write a ReviewReviews (1,674)

Reviewed July 16, 2005

We chose Humphrey's after using tripadvisor for a quick romantic getaway. We, sadly, got stuck with bad weather and it rained 90% of the time we were there. The bright side is that the room was wonderful. The rooms are VERY Tiki-- You might feel that you are in Hawaii instead of San Diego. We thought the concierge was very helpful. They planned out our evening for us. The grounds at Humphrey's ( though we did not spend too much time on them because of the rain) are beautiful! We peeked into the ampitheater and it looked like a great place to have a concert! We had a very romantic time. It was quiet and peaceful and the grounds and the rooms at Humphrey's really "take you away"--if you will.

• Stayed: April 2005
5  Thank soccr62949
Reviewed July 10, 2005

My wife and I just stayed here for 2 nights for our 1-year anniversary this past weekend. We were upgraded to a jr. suite for $199 + taxes -- I have an IATA # (if you're a travel agent you know what this is) so don't ask for this rate and expect to get it.

We stayed in Building B on the ground floor; this building is next to the concert area, so be forewarned that in the summer you probably will hear the concert if you're in this building -- but they're over by 10:30 p.m. Since we drove down from L.A. in the evening and didn't check in until 11 p.m. or so after the concert let out, I had to explain to 2 parking lot attendants that I was a guest checking in and thus I was allowed park near the building our room was in (you're given a lot pass for your windshield upon checkin; I never had a problem finding a space near our room).

My wife and I found the suite layout a bit strange: the bed is near the door in one half, a TV and bar area separates the bedroom from the living room that opens onto a porch area with view of the concert site. We would have preferred to have it the other way around with the bed away from the hallway door, but we got used to it by second night.

We checked out the Humphrey's by the Bay lounge/bar and were pleasantly suprised that we didn't have to pay cover since we were staying at the hotel. The crowd verged on the older side, say 40+; my wife and I are late 20s/early 30s. We still had a good time. The management knows when to cut patrons off that are wasted (I have a short fuse when it comes to dealing with drunks bumping in to me). The dance floor was crowded and made for good people watching.

We ate breakfast at the on-site restaraunt the next mornig: ~$50 for 2 including tip. Service was friendly, food prep was a little drawn out. But the view of the marina really made up for it. Very relaxing.

Pool area is very nice and resort like; extra pool towels are provided; didn't try the bar, but it looked pretty good! Enjoyed this area a lot.
Don't plan to get many laps in here unless you go early right when it opens -- there were quite a few families here in the afternoon.

Humphrey's location is excellent for going out in downtown San Deigo if you drove yourself in or have a rental car: you can be in the gaslamp district or Balboa Park in 10 minutes. We really liked this convenience.

There's a computer with hispeed internet access provided for free in the lobby. Nice for looking up directions or checking email. There's apparently wifi in the rooms, but I didn't try this out, so I don't know if it's free or not.

Negatives: the staff doesn't check the common hallway doors at night to make sure they're shut. This is obviously a security concern because if these doors remain open, anyone off the street can walk into the building.
Secondly, we were awoken by the LOUD ICE MACHINE going at 7 a.m. our first morning! Had the doors been shut, we wouldn't have probably heard it. I complained about this when I checked out.

If you're a light sleeper, you may not like the proximity to the San Deigo Airport -- once in a while -- but not often -- you can hear a plane taking off across the water.

I can't speak to the paper-thin walls comments, but I did hear water pipes going once in a while as well as our neighbors the second morning moving their bags out.

Would I stay here again? If I can get the special rate again for the jr. suite, sure. But there are other lodging possibilities in San Diego -- this is just one.

• Stayed: July 2005
9  Thank brendonla
Reviewed July 6, 2005

This place is definitely THE worst place I've ever stayed in, and trust me, I am not the Ritz Carlton type of traveler. The following are downers you should consider before making reservations in this hotel:
- Paper thin walls (read, you will get to know all your neighbours really well, whether you want it or not)
- Finding a parking spot is like winning a lotery
- Motel 6 has nicer decor
- Restaurant prices are $20 - $30 a meal for the food that is just OK.

• Stayed: July 2005
8  Thank aly_mali
Reviewed June 29, 2005

We just spent a couple of nights in San Diego at Humphreys, and couldn't have been any happier.

The check-in process was excellent. We were meeting up with friends arriving later that evening, and although they don't have connecting rooms in the hotel, they went out of their way to ensure we had rooms next to each other (even though the hotel was very busy). On top of that, we requested rooms overlooking the marina, and they sorted that out for us too!

One thing you should be aware of - Humphreys host regular (outdoor) weekend concerts on the hotel grounds, so during the evenings it might not be deathly quiet (depending on your room location). As it turned out for us, we had a room with a PERFECT view of the concert stage. Although the performing acts weren't artists we would usually pay to watch, it was still great to be able to watch it from our balcony for free!!!

The rooms themselves are very nice. Everything looked new. Beds were extremely comfortable.

As for other hotel facilities....the pool and hot tub were excellent. The poolside bar was nice for evening drinks. The view from marina/bay facing rooms is superb. The putting green and crocquet lawn weren't used by us, but a nice touch nonetheless.

We didn't eat at all in the hotel, with trips to downtown San Diego via taxi taking about 10 minutes, and costing between $15-$20.

All-in-all, I would highly recommend this place!!!

• Stayed: June 2005
4  Thank UK_to_LA
Reviewed June 27, 2005

This was our fourth time to stay at Humphreys in 20 years; twice in the last two years. We keep coming back because the place is so convenient and is staffed with enjoyable personnel. It is a five-ten minute drive to the airport and fifteen minutes to downtown. It is an oasis amongst the atmosphere of a bustling marina.

The restaurants and nightclub on the premises are excellent as are the grounds which are flush with blooming plants and manicured lawns. There are a handful of excellent restaurants within a mile or so. Some you can walk to in under five minutes.

If you like top-notch nightly entertainment, keep an eye on the concert venue. The list of star entertainers is nothing short of spectacular.

Where else can you go to see beautiful San Diego bay just a hundred yards out of your front door?

In short, we are already planning our return visit!

It is expensive during peak season but the added advantages help to soften the blow to the wallet.

• Stayed: June 2005
3  Thank servok
Reviewed June 17, 2005

If in San Diego again, I would definately consider Humphrey's again. The rooms are large and spacious, the decor in our room was not outdated and everything in the room was spotless. We had a second floor room overlooking the lovely grass area. Room had a double, glassed builtin-robe which was really great..

Very central to downtown and the airport and the area around the hotel is really nice.

Only one little qualm, there are no lifts to second floors, so luggage has to be carried up stairs, but apart from that it was perfect.

Staff were great and helpful and we really enjoyed our time here.

• Stayed: May 2005