“Nice location”

Humphreys Half Moon Inn
Ranked #54 of 278 Hotels in San Diego
Reviewed January 4, 2014

Request rooms in the back of the Resort off of the street. It gets noisy on the street (traffic, parking lot, hotel guests etc). I was surprised at how much traffic there was being that the street is a dead end. Rooms are cozy, with comfortable beds/bedding and each room has a wet bar with microwave, fridge & coffee maker. Upstairs units do not have patios, at least the ones that face the parking lot do not. Room service was great! It was delivered in less than 30 minutes. We ate at Humphreys for breakfast one morning. The Restaurant is nice with a great view of the marina. The food, coffee & service was great. Prices are also reasonable. Mimosas & Bloody Marys are offered in the AM. The location of this Resort is great, as it is within 5-10 minute drive to practically everything (Seaport Village, Sea World, Gas Lamp, Shopping, Restaurants, Liquor/Gas,). Pool towels are provided by the Resort however they are very tiny and OLD. I would suggest to bring your own if you like plush, full size towels. Pool area is nice, pool is heated and they have a small hot tub. We will stay here again in the Winter months since it is offered at a discounted rate.

Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank cruzanrumgirl
Write a ReviewReviews (1,674)

Reviewed December 29, 2013 via mobile

My wife and I stayed at the Half Moon for a family reunion with about 20 other family members who came from all over the country. First, it was easy to find even though San Diego streets are not the easiest to navigate. Close to Old Town with a scenic view of the downtown skyline in the distance across San Diego Bay. On the back side of the resort us a marina with just enough activity to be enjoyable and interesting. Our stay was short, but fun. I highly recommend it.

Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed December 28, 2013

The staff was welcoming, courteous and knowlegeable of the area. The Manager was most gracious in extending a discount to my grandson who is in the Nave and came in on the Nimitz recently.

The rooms and grounds are immaculate and the view is quintessential‎ San Diego - beyond compare. Try working out on the elliptical overlooking the Marina.......

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed December 28, 2013

We had a family holiday here over Christmas and really enjoyed the property but found there were very few restaurants in the area and it was situated a little too far from the downtown attractions. Friendly and helpful staff. I was surprised and a little disappointed to be told that breakfast was not included for us because we had booked through Expedia. Overall a nice holiday and experience.

Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank Peppi26
Reviewed December 26, 2013 via mobile

I have stayed at this resort several times. For this visit I was joined by a niece from MI & my Mom & her friend from SC. These ladies had never been to CA, so I knew Humphrey's was the perfect place. Right away we were upgraded to a Marina Suite & the stay was perfect! I finally tried their restaurant's french toast...yummy!

• Stayed: December 2013
1  Thank proctor992
Reviewed December 23, 2013

We have wanted to stay here for the longest time, but you can't always book a single night's stay. These guys have a summer concert series and that often requires booking two nights. Beware! If you love the band and want to party like mad...this place will do it for you. However, the concert venue dominates this resort, so if a wild time is not what you're after...don't stay here on a concert night.

That being said, the hotel is comfortable and the staff is friendly.
They lost the reservation we made on the hotel website, but made up for it with a $10 discount and an upgrade to a junior suite....nice room, but kinda clumsy. You enter through the bedroom and must walk through it to the living room area. No chance of slipping out without waking up your travel mate. You also can't adjust the central heat. Set it for 65 degrees and it comes out at 80. Turning it off wasn't enough so we had to sleep with the lanai door open.

However, my big bone to pick here is with the "passport".
This is nothing but a thinly veiled resort fee. A coupon book that you are forced to purchase for $10.00. The coupons are for dining at the hotel and some local attractions. But, here's the rub: we stayed in December and our passport coupons all expired 11/30. So, you get to pay $10.00 for a book of coupons that you cannot possibly use......nice.

There are (4) hotels on Shelter Island that share a common website (just search: Shelter Island Hotels). One of them always has a deal going. We stayed at all four several times this past year and they are all decent....when you book their deal. At full price, not so much.
Parking is also a consideration. Humphrey's is runner-up for high price at $10.00 per night. The winner 1/4 mile down the street is free. Could make a difference if you're planning on more than a single night....I'm just sayin'.

Room Tip: The junior suites face the bay, but as previously mentioned they are a bit awkward.
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Bogusmalarky
Reviewed December 16, 2013

We chose Humphries after doing some research online about the property. It's in a great location - the staff is very friendly - and the room was clean. They upgraded us to a junior suite as we were there celebrating an anniversary. I would say the rooms could use a little updating, but I'm not really a hotel snob...as long as it's clean, I'm good. We were near where the concert venue is, and I would say it might not be the best place to stay if there was a show going on. I could see the noise being an issue if you're not there to actually SEE the show, but the pools overlooking the pool or marina would be awesome. Front desk staff was very helpful and friendly, and they came within 5 minutes to fix an issue with the room safe. Great location close to wherever you want to go. The only thing I didn't like was the $9.95 "passport fee" that is charged to your room daily. They call it a resort fee, and give a coupon book to "offset" some of the charges, but then require you to charge it to your room and you can't pay cash for the lunch or whatever you get the discount on. They also add in the gratuity, which we did not notice (didn't have my glasses on) so watch for that. Our "discounted" lunch ended up costing us $60.00 because we are good tippers. Our server made out huge on us. Stuff like that just irritates me. Just charge me a price for a room, and let that be the price. The extra BS taxes on the rooms I find annoying.

I would stay there again - but next time ask for a marina or pool/garden view. Live and learn, but all in all a good experience.

Room Tip: Garden View or Marina View
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple