“Perfect lodgings for a wedding”

Humphreys Half Moon Inn
Ranked #54 of 286 Hotels in San Diego
Reviewed February 7, 2013

My eldest daughter had a wedding reception in San Diego last weekend at the Bali Hai Restaurant on Shelter Island. For lodgings for visiting family and friends, she chose Humphreys Half Moon Inn & Suites, and it became the weekend home for 24 of us. Her sister's family and I were able to book a sizable suite with adjoining room for two nights for a very reasonable fee, and it was the perfect spot for all the pre-reception preparations, and for family & friends to get together and relax the next day. The rooms surrounded a garden area, pool and jacuzzi which made an excellent meeting spot for our guests as well. The grounds and accommodations were attractive and well maintained, the staff was courteous and helpful, the food was good. It was the ideal setting for this event, and I would recommend it highly to anyone.

Room Tip: The suite was large and equipped with TV, large table, fully-equipped kitchen, and plenty of sleepin...
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
Write a ReviewReviews (1,688)

Reviewed January 31, 2013

Stayed here on business (by myself) and the accomodations and staff were great. Upgraded to a suite and it was roomy and clean. The decor is a little dated but two flat screen HDTV's got me past that.

Room Tip: Nice view of the bay - very peaceful.
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business
HHMI, Guest Relations Manager at Humphreys Half Moon Inn, responded to this reviewResponded February 15, 2013

Thank you for staying with us on your recent visit to San Diego. The suite that you were upgraded to has yet to be renovated. We are in the process of renovating our entire property and have completed all guest rooms and junior suites. We are very excited that we have started renovations on the large, one bedroom suites that you stayed in. We are almost done with the first building of suites.
We appreciate you taking the time to share comments and feedback with us.
Hope to see you again!

Reviewed January 29, 2013

I had no idea that a place like this existed in San Diego. I left the planning to my Travel Agent who selected a couple places. But when put to the test of "where would you stay"? he said this would be his choice.

Well I could see why. You are greeted by wonderful staff who are on top of your next request. The rooms are spacious , clean and light. The grounds are well manicured and the support staff are kind and gracious. Turn down chocolates were fantastic and even the card as a Facebook Friend made me feel like I had made the right choice.

The food at the Restaurant was great and the views of San Diego are breath taking.

Pool and hot tub area were clean and well taken care of and I enjoyed them immensely.

As a seasoned traveller I like to feel at home, and I did.

It was like a tropical paradise and I can not wait to go back.

So, if you are looking for a place that can meet, and excel beyond your wishes. By all means stay here.

I only wish that there were concerts going on while I was there.

Room Tip: Splurge and get a junior suite. It is so worth the little extra money but with lots more space to...
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank Kevin C
Reviewed January 28, 2013

My husband and I spent two nights in a Grand Marina Suite. The view from the balcony was absolutely amazing. You look directly upon the marina and the boats/yachts. We were on the second floor. The suite is extremely large and very comfortable. It had a nice kitchen with a full size refrigerator. It also had a large dining room table with 6 chairs. The living room had two sofa bed couches and a flat screen television. It had a very nice bathroom with a large dressing area and two separate closets. The bedroom had two double beds with another flat screen television and its own balcony facing the garden area. The suite could accomodate a family very nicely. We live in San Diego and enjoy coming to Humphreys several times a year but this is the first time we had the large suite. We feel that it was a great value. The grounds are very tropical (love the two parrots). There are several restaurants nearby; however, the restaurant at the hotel is very good so no need to even leave the resort. The pool area is also very nice. We will be back and we will certainly consider booking the suite again.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank DTierman
Reviewed January 22, 2013

This hotel is conveniently located about 15 minutes from the San Diego Airport. It offers a complimentary hotel shuttle between the airport and hotel. The hotel is on Shelter Island across the bay from downtown San Diego. It has a funky but pleasant tourist feel to it. The entire hotel feels like it was built in the 70's and is something out of a Hawaiian resort. However, the rooms have been recently updated and are impeccable. I loved it that the windows opened. The grounds are beautiful and the food at the resturant was actually really, really good. The hotel is located right on the water. There is a wonderful running/walking trail close by. There are many resturants within walking distance. The hotel apparently hosts concerts in the Spring and Summer including big names like Ringo Starr, Cheryl Crow, and Dianna Ross. There is a great swimming pool, hot tub, ping pong tables, and free bicycle use on the island. The rooms boast a small refrigerator, microwave, and coffee pot. Overall, very lovely for the price.

2  Thank DakotaSummer
Reviewed January 20, 2013

I stayed in one of the Grand Marina Suites with my parents, wife and daughter for three nights earlier this month. I should note that this is not really a resort, and barely a hotel. It is more like borrowing a slightly tired Hawaiian themed condo from one's eccentric bachelor uncle for a few days . . . the property and grounds are maintained nicely enough but the fixtures are really showing their age, and there is no gift shop and little in the way of visible staff. The previous guests had left their room service plates outside our room door and it was there when we checked in and still there the next day and in perpetuity thereafter until I finally asked to have it taken away (which is odd because our unit was right next to housekeeping). Two light bulbs were burned out in the room which was especially noticable as even with all the lights turned on it was rather dark at night. The garden had yellow police tape wrapped around the perimeter of the lawn to keep people from stepping on the grass (which may have been effective but hardly added anything to the ambience). So my initial impression was one of disappointment. Honestly I didn't expect anything fancy, but I felt like I got a lot less than that.

Having said that I really liked the location. We had dinner at nearby Bali Hai, Nami Sushi Bar and Brigantine Seafood and all three were great. Shelter Island is pleasant and reasonably central and the little veranda outside with a marina view was great. The suite was very roomy and comfortable and we rather liked the rustic decor even if it was a bit dated, and the room service breakfasts we ordered were delicious and reasonably priced. And the staff once I did meet them were uniformly polite, friendly and helpful. So by the time I left three days later my overall impression of the place was much more positive.

I am only giving it three stars because there were too many lazy rough edges (the police tape, the room service plates that never got cleared, the hotel gift shop that existed only in the brochures) to ignore completely. But if all you need is a comfy plaee for the family to stay at a not unreasonable price with several good restaurants within walking distance, one could do a lot worse.

Room Tip: The marina view rooms are more private and thus are worth the small premium.
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
4  Thank Chadokimu
Reviewed January 19, 2013

Had a business trip which took me to San Diego. I was searching for a reasonably priced hotel not far from my customer. What luck to have landed at Humphreys Half Moon. First all the staff was a pleasure. I wasn't thrilled at the location of my first room and they had no issues moving me to a room with a view of the bay and overlooking the city skyline of San Diego - just beautiful. Food in both the bar and restaurant was great but the view of the marina while having breakfast in the morning was a sheer delight!!

Room Tip: Ask for room facing the bay or marina rather than inside garden view room.