“Another GREAT Concert and nice overnight stay”

Humphreys Half Moon Inn
Ranked #55 of 279 Hotels in San Diego
Reviewed September 17, 2012

This is the third time we've visited Humphrey's using their concert package. The room this time was really great. We were in Building A. The concert venue was right outside out door and we only had a short walk to the restaurant (see my review - its the only bad part of this package). The bed was very comfortable with an large assortment of pillows. There was a microwave and fridge, a sofa and several chairs, and 2 TVs (one you could see from the bed, one from the sofa). The bathroom is large and was very clean. I love the hotel!
We had 3rd row seats for the concert. But the set up is so good that we weren't blow away by the sound- yet it was obvious that even those at the back could hear everything. I don't think there is a bad seat in the whole venue!
They also provide free shuttle pick up and drop off at the airport!

Room Tip: Building A is close to both the concert venue and the restaurant.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank worldtravelfreek

Reviewed September 15, 2012

My daughter and I booked this trip in January 2012.We paid for a garden room at over $200.00 per night. Our first night there a music video was being filmed outside our room at 11:00 PM. After 3 complaints to the night auditor and several arguments with him, security finally had the production company leave at 12:30 AM. Asked to speak to manager the next day, was told she was not in. They offered the room for free for that night. Spoke to the manager at checkout, she was almost as rude as the night auditor. I called the corporate office twice, and asked to speak with General Manager. I only received a call back from the original manager who left a message on my answering machine. With all the beautiful hotels by the water in San Diego, I'm sure they value their guest experience. Do not stay at this hotel unless you DON'T want to get any rest, or a sincere apology.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank ShereeC626
HHMI, Guest Relations Manager at Humphreys Half Moon Inn, responded to this reviewResponded September 25, 2012

I am truly sorry we were not able to make this guest happy. We pride ourselves in providing a comfortable, relaxing experience for all of our guests and obviously did not do so in this case. We had a Grammy award winning artist filming a new music video at our hotel during their stay. The filming did run a little over, but they wrapped up and were gone by 11:30 pm. While the daughter who booked the reservation expressed to us that they were not bothered by the production, the mother was not pleased with the activity. As soon as this was brought to our attention, the crew packed up immediately. We tried our best to make the guest happy by comping their room for the night. I personally listened to the guest's feedback and sincerely and earnestly apologized for the inconvenience. I love my job and love making our guests happy and am truly disappointed that we were not able to make the situation right for her. I attempted to follow up with her yet never received a return call.

Reviewed September 13, 2012

My husband surprised me for my birthday with tickets to see Jewel in concert at Humphrey's. It was a wonderful time. We had a view of the ocean and downtown San Diego. The staff was friendly. The room was clean and large. The bed and pillows were so comfortable!! The only complaint which isn't really a big deal... The sink area where I put my make up on wasn't light very well.But again that's not a big deal. Loved that our hotel room was right where the concert was so we could go to our room to use the restroom. The grounds were lovely and relaxing. Looking forward to going there again soon. Oh the nice thing was how close to the airport it was and how easy it was to get around.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 13, 2012

This was the last hotel of our 40-day road trip and we loved this place.
The suit we got overlooked the huge pool and beautiful garden. The kitchen was a bit outdated, but we never used it. Being around the sailing boats always makes me happy, and in this place you are really next to the harbor which is full of sailing boats.
(Only 10 min drive to downtown and airport)

Service is great, you can use their bikes for free, also the use of the ping-pong table, putting green and croquet field is free and enjoyable.

The room was clean, fresh and well maintained. We didn't have problems with locking our balcony doors as I read in another review.

Could really recommend people to go here.

If you stay here on a sunday, be aware the breakfast closes early.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed September 12, 2012 via mobile

We checked into this hotel, the hotel itself is beautiful, gorgeous area and really nice low rise hotel/ motel. Rooms are standard, nice timber shutters with views on the water ( not all rooms) but the most disappointing part, the beds were so uncomfortable. They were rock hard & we actually looked at a few different rooms but all beds were the same. We actually ended up checking out, it was a shame but the beds were just too uncomfortable.

• Stayed: September 2012

Thank your for staying with us and for sharing your feedback. I'm sorry to hear that the beds were not to these guests liking. We have replaced all of the beds in the hotel and tried to choose a comfort level that appeals to everyone. While most guests rave about how comfortable our beds are, it can be a challenge to please everyone as each individual has different tastes when it comes to the firmness or softness of a mattress. We truly appreciate this guest taking the time to share their comments with us!

Reviewed September 11, 2012

I have stayed here previously and it was a mixed bag. This time it was worse.

Firstly, I got put into a second floor Grand Marina suite, which should be striking. Indeed, we liked the fact that it was large and had a balcony overlooking the small marina. We appreciated the room at first.

However, it is about there that the positives end. Some elements of the room are quite dated, such as the kitchen. Nevertheless, we would have still been happy enough with the quality of the room even though it certainly is a bit dated and worn, wall paper peeling from the bathroom walls. Still, we knew this going in, so it didn't bother us. They have updated the TVs since we were last there which is nice.

What is 100 percent not acceptable is that 2 of the 3 sliding doors would not lock. None of them had the regular locks work on these doors.. What about the extra security locks? Nope, not so fast. 1 of the 3 had the extra security lock that worked fine (off the living room) so that door we were happy with as it could at least be somewhat locked. The second living room sliding door did not have the extra security lock at all, it appeared to have fallen off or was never on. Therefore, the second living room sliding door *WOULD NOT LOCK AT ALL*.

The third sliding door, off the bedroom, had a security lock but it was not aligned with the hole it was suppose to slide into, so it did not work either! The bedroom door *WOULD NOT LOCK AT ALL EITHER*.

Therefore, with two of the three sliding doors not locking at all, we went ahead and left the room about 11:00pm.

We thought about trying to stack some chairs, etc. from the room into the sliding door track to prevent it from opening, but with two doors to secure, we doubt we could have found enough in the room to manage this.

I told the hotel via phone and email about the situation and I never even received a "sorry, hope it goes better next time." They made no acknowledgment. Indeed, I even got charged the $10 parking fee even though we didn't even spend the night.

The time I traveled here previously, one of three doors didn't lock either. This seems to be a significant issue with the property as it was two out of two for me.

If anyone else plans to go and stay in a room with sliding doors, I would strongly encourage you to visit your home improvement store before visiting and buying some of those screw tightened window/sliding door locks (you can easily take them with you when you leave each day). I'd buy one for the top and bottom track of every door, so you could need as many as six of these if you got the Grand Marina Suite.

The grounds are kept up quite nicely. The room service pizza was one of the best I have ever ate. There are two strengths I must complement them on.

I would also recommend staying away from ground level rooms that look out on the hotel grounds/paths. We walk by these rooms and their only windows look out where everyone is walking by, so you see these guests in their beds when you're walking around the grounds. I'd recommend a second level room for a tad more privacy.

We also had extremely rowdy and drinking neighbors. This was another reason we left with the door issues. We would have worried all night.

This hotel could really be special indeed. It has potential. Hopefully at some point they will finish revamping the hotel but most importantly in the meantime, step security up, just make sure the doors can be locked before any guest steps in the room. The security locks they put on the sliding doors aren't of very high quality anyway and since the regular locks do not work, they need to make sure they work and I'd recommend they even look into a better security lock since the ones they were utilizing seem to break and are cheap.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
6  Thank S H
Reviewed September 10, 2012

I was disappointed with this stay. I checked in at 2 pm and the room was not ready. The agent asked for a my phone number. I never got a call and went back after 4. The room was ready.

The biggest problem was the room looked and felt dirty, mostly the carpet and the window shades. Gross! I was also given a room that must get many complaints. A very loud ice machine is directly outside the door. This is also a concert venue and the door opens to a view of the stage. Very loud.

What I did like were the lovely grounds and pool and the amazing bayside location. The free bike rentals were a nice treaty, too.

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from the stage.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business