“Laid Back Tiki Culture”

Humphreys Half Moon Inn
Ranked #53 of 286 Hotels in San Diego
Reviewed July 31, 2011

My wife and I stayed four nights in a basic room at Humphrey's Half Moon Inn. We enjoyed it thoroughly and would highly recommend it for a relaxing vacation. The atmosphere is that of the "Tiki Culture" so popular in the 1950s and 60s. I could see how it would not be everyone's cup of tea. But I really enjoyed this and found it to be a refreshing alternative to modern, corporate hotel compounds.

Humphrey's Half Moon Inn is located on Shelter Island which is a narrow spit of land jutting into San Diego Harbor. On one side of the island is a very large boat marina. On the other side is the harbor. Although our room faced the main road, there was minimal traffic during the day and almost none at night. We could also sometimes hear airliners across the harbor at the airport and an occasional Navy helicopter during the day. But this was far from bothersome and non-existent by bed time.

Near the hotel are multiple restaurants within walking distance or a very short drive. We tried the Humphrey's restaurant for dinner on our first night. Unfortunately, I cannot recommend it. It was OK at best and overpriced for the food quality and quantity; and we used 25% off coupons provided by the front desk. Also, the decor is the proverbial, sterile, contemporary ensemble of gray, beige and chrome (yawn). Our table was right against a very large window which should have provided a spectacular view of the marina and lights of nearby Point Loma. Alas, the window glass is highly reflective and offers mostly muted, mirror images of the restaurant. I expect the views are quite nice during the day.

In stark contrast, directly next to the restaurant is a club with nightly music. The jazz band playing there during our dinner was amazing and threw down well into the night. This place looks like a lot of fun.

One of the best features of Humphrey's is the pool. It's much larger than I would have expected and sits inside the inn's lushly landscaped courtyard. Since it was built many years ago, it has a nine foot deep end. (Completely absent in modern hotel pools.) Although diving isn't technically allowed, consider yourself warned and have fun jumping into the deep end. Or, you can casually splash about in the larger shallow end. Directly next to the pool is a good-sized spa and a pool bar. Strangely, the pool bar shuts down early unless a concert is going on. I can only assume they prefer guests visit the night club or restaurant for drinks. Food is also available at the pool bar.

Our room was not large, but was of adequate size and featured a good quality king bed with nice linens. The entire inn appears to be of post and beam construction with attractive wood features inside. The squeaky-clean bathroom fixtures were modern and of very high quality. Our room had no air conditioning; only a fan. We were a bit concerned about this initially, but soon learned the breezes off the bay keep Shelter Island beautifully pleasant during the day and downright cool at night; even in late July!

My favorite part of our first-floor room was the small, semi-secluded patio. On one end of the room were three attractive wooden blinds stretching from floor-to-ceiling. Pushing these blinds to the side revealed a sliding glass door and an outdoor sitting area with a bamboo screen on one side and tropical plants on two sides. I thoroughly enjoyed reading on this patio in the absolutely spectacular weather of Shelter Island. Hint: if you too would like to read on the patio, bring a book light as there is no lighting in the area after dark.

Every member of the Humphrey's staff we encountered was pleasant and polite. We purchased discount tickets to local attractions at the front desk which was very convenient. You can even check out a bike which is complementary for two hours. Be aware there is a $10.00 per day parking fee, but parking is quite scarce on Shelter Island.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank ColoradoKlutch
Write a ReviewReviews (1,674)

Reviewed July 27, 2011

We stayed at Humphrey’s for a mini staycation, partly because we’ve always wanted to stay there, but mostly to escape some long-term house guests for a night. My only complaint about Humphrey’s is that I wish we could have stayed longer. Our stint was quite brief but long enough for us to enjoy the lovely harbor view and super comfy king-sized bead, tour the grounds, enjoy a leisurely breakfast, stroll around Shelter Island and meet Humphrey’s resident free-range parrot. We thoroughly enjoyed the semi retro/semi Tiki vibe at the place and found the overall gestalt to be exactly what we were in the mood for. And the gardens were lovely. The one bit of advice I would give is to go elsewhere for breakfast and skip the on site restaurant. There was nothing wrong with it per se, but there are certainly better breakfasts to be had for the money (though the view and ambiance were quite nice). Oh, and FYI - the restaurant and room service close at 9 pm during the week, as does the Bali Hai restaurant down the street, so this is not where you want to be for a night cap or if you’re a late diner. Aside from that, it’s a great choice if you’re looking for a unique San Diego experience on the moderately upscale side.

Room Tip: Spring for an upgrade - you'll probably get one.
  • Stayed: April 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank zhdoerck
Reviewed July 26, 2011

After 3 years of pretty much non stop travelling and living in hotels about 8 months of the year, I felt compelled to write a review about the terrible customer service in this hotel.

The couple we were travelling with had to stay in as one of them had severe pain in her side, and was bed ridden. We drove to get some food for her, and we dropped it off at her room at 12:50am. After talking for no more than 5 minutes, there was a knock at the door. I opened it, and was greeted with a very obnoxious security guard telling me in a condescending tone that he had walked past and heard us making noise (not sure what, other than asking how she was doing), and we needed to stop it.

Being british, I did what every good englishman would do - apologized, and closed the door. The guys in the room were pretty shocked by the rudeness.

As we left the room to head back to ours a few minutes later, I saw the security guy again. I told him "you might want to consider in the future to be more polite to your customers - nothing wrong with you asking us to keep the noise down if you thought we were making too much noise, but you were damn right rude to me". His response was angry, and pretty much shouting at me told me "you were rude to me first" ... which i'm a bit confused about as I opened the door and said "yes?".

At this point I had enough, so continued walking back to our room. As we turned away to walk, he continued shouting at us.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Zourzouvillys
HHMI, Guest Relations Manager at Humphreys Half Moon Inn, responded to this reviewResponded July 27, 2011

On behalf of the staff at Humphreys Half Moon Inn, I extend my sincerest apologies for your experience while attending to your ailing traveling companion. Your comments are greatly distressing to us simply because they are the first of their kind with regard to our Security Staff, most of whom have been with us for 10 years or more and have always provided the best in customer service relations while still being able to enforce hotel security with tact and discretion. Please know that we will immediately bring this matter to the forefront with our Security Staff to ensure that this will not happen again. Thank you for bringing this to our attention.

Reviewed July 25, 2011

We found this wonderful hotel several years ago, and have been back many times. Not a typical high rise hotel, more of a nostalgic polynesian feel hotel/motel. Fantastic room service. Great views of harbor, easy location to all San Diego has to offer.

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 19, 2011

We stayed here for one night as a bit of a treat on our 4 week journey around California. We were not disappointed. We arrived early for check in, the receptionist informed us unforutnately she did not have the room we had booked available at the time so upgraded us to a tropical room!

The room was absolutely beautiful, the sheets were soft. It was all very clean. We did struggle getting our 50lb suitcases up the slightly rickety steps but it was worth the climb.

We spent the afternoon the pool which again was simply fantastic although we were a little confused by the minute towels!

We dined in the restaurant in the evening. Fantastic views of the marina and the food was beautiful and not too extortionately priced. Service was excellent. Popped into the bar next door for a cocktail or two after.

We ordered breakfast room service to dine by the pool the following morning - very luxurious and good food!

I would recommend this hotel to anyone and would defintiely go back if I was in San Diego again.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled with friends
Reviewed July 18, 2011

Thank you Humphreys for a wedding filled with smiles!!!
(Our pictures below tell the story.)
My husband and I were married at Humphrey’s Half Moon Inn & Suites on June 18, 2011.
It may sound simple enough, but we live in the Kansas City area.

I had stayed at Humphrey’s last April when my son’s ship came in. I was so impressed with the hotel, the grounds, and the staff that it was the first place I thought of for a destination wedding.

But, successful weddings don’t just happen! I had a lot of help and guidance from the Humphrey’s staff, especially Darla Mercer. She was there for us from the first time I called through the wedding itself and the luncheon following. The hotel provided a beautiful setting with luxurious rooms and service. Darla made it easy!!! So we were all able to relax, enjoy and SMILE!

The bay and beach are across the street...... perfect for pictures .... and celebrations ...
And, of course their concerts are reknown. We hardly left the resort. They had almost everything there. Their restaurant has a large variety of dishes to choose from. And they are all excellent. They even created a specialty drink for our toast as we don't like champagne. It provided a WOW factor to celebrate our wedding!

I can't suggest a better place than Humphreys Half Moon Inn and Resort to make memories that will last for a lifetime.

Room Tip: If you need room to entertain friend/family I'd suggest their Marina Suites. Eating area, outsi...
  • Stayed: June 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank MatureBride
Reviewed July 13, 2011

When we got to Shelter Island on Memorial day after a LONG drive mostly stuck in traffic around 9pm. We were exhausted and hungry and ready to unpack. When we got to the front desk it was absolutely beautiful and the customer service was great; they upgraded our room to a view of the lake and waved the fee. Many reviews state that this place is like Hawaii and I second that, there are so many tropical and colorful flowers, palm trees, and ducks waddling about everywhere. Its absolutely beautiful, my boyfriend and I felt like we were on a pre-honeymoon.
The restaurants and stores were all in walking distance, but the restaurant at Humphrey's was the absolute BEST! We had the best breakfast with the most beautiful view of the boat harbor through the biggest window. Architecturally and decoratively Humphrey's is the BEST!!!
There were always plenty of fresh towels, soap, shampoo and conditioner everyday and they take the time to make cute tissue flowers in the tissue box.
We loved Humphrey's Half Moon Inn so much we ended up extending our vacation and staying an extra night rather than driving home after a long day at Sea World.

We will DEFINITELY be back as SOON AS WE CAN!!!

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled as a couple