“First time in San Diego” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Humphreys Half Moon Inn & Suites

Humphreys Half Moon Inn & Suites
Ranked #61 of 279 Hotels in San Diego
Atlanta, GA
“First time in San Diego”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 17, 2011

I had a very nice stay at Humphreys. My room was a little dated but very clean. It had a little kitchen and overall a spacious room. Also, it overlooked Humphreys' outdoor venue. During my first night stay, I was able to sit on my patio and enjoy Yanni in concert for free. It was a great show and it helped that my neighbor on the patio next to me was a cutie. :-) The staff at the front desk, restaurant, and hotel driver were super nice. The hotel is about 15 minutes away from downtown but there are some good restaurants within walking distance of the hotel. The hotel offers free shuttle service to/from the airport. You must call them when you grab your bags to come pick you up.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled solo
2 Thank cstocker

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (437)
  • Korean first
Kent
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 17, 2011

Myself and my boyfriend stayed at Humpreys Half Moon in April for 6 nights and we had the most amazing time.
I stayed here once with my family when I was only about 10 years old and I always vowed to go back, and I did, now I am 24!
It was even nicer than I remember (they recently had a refurbishment). We drove from LA airport as we had flown in from London and it was a lovely scenic drive that took around 2 hours. The hotel is based right on the harbour giving stunning views of the whole city and the boats.
Prior to our trip I had contacted the hotel to book in for the champagne jazz brunch that they hold on Sundays as that was my boyfriends birthday and they were so helpful and reserved us their best table. Not only that on arrival because they knew it was his birthday, we were upgraded to a bigger more superior room and as we entered we found a bottle of champagne and a birthday card from the hotel which was a lovely personal touch to kick start our holiday.
The rooms are now very modern, large, comfortable queen bed, plasma TV with a wide choice of channels and films if you want a night in. Bathrooms were superbly clean, floor to ceiling in marble, with an Hawaiin feel and every day you were stocked up with new toiletries. The room also had a dressing area with mirror, coffee machine and fridge which is really helpful if you just want to go to the supermarket and get some water etc.
The room service was fantastic and you never have to ask for anything twice and the reception staff are absolutely wonderful and do all they can to help you with trips, excursions and discount vouchers for Sea World, San Diego Zoo etc.
The one thing that completely stands out at this hotel for me is the restaurant, it is hands down the best breakfast I have EVER had and I have stayed in higher rated hotels before but nothing comes close to here, we ate in there every day because we couldn't miss out on it and we knew we wouldnt find any better.
Another thing I would 100% recommend is the jazz brunch for $35 each you get unlimited champagne and access to their buffet brunch and wow, you have NEVER seen a brunch like this. Eggs of any kind, breads of all kind, fish of all kinds, cheese of all kind, fresh pasta cooked to your taste, roasted meats, grilled meats, the biggest dessert selection you have ever seen including the most amazing chocolate covered strawberries. All this amazing food is accompanied by the jazz singers who sing an array of classic songs as well as any songs you wish to request and they make a real deal of anyone who is there for a special occasion, get you up on stage, sing to you and then you get a free dessert with a little candle, again a lovely touch.
The swimming pool is lovely and clean and quite large, it also has a small jacuzzi which is lovely, especially if the clouds are out and the sun has gone in. There are always plenty of sunbeds and beautiful palm trees close you in, so you feel secluded and safe, especially as there are security gates to get to the pool area which you can only get access with a room key. There is a pool service throughout the day including pool snacks and amazing cocktails too.
There really isn't anything i can fault this hotel on and I would recommend it to anyone. It is 5 minutes from Sea World, 15 mins if that from the zoo and just a short 5 minute drive to the main City to Gaslamp disctrict etc. The hotel provide you with driving directions, maps and recomendations for resturants too which is very helpful. My personal musts are:
Sea World (we did the Artic experience which included swimming with beluga whales which was amazing and so worth the money, book in advance if you want to do this or get to the parl early)
San Diego Zoo
Dinner Cruise at the Harbour which can be booked online in advance
Eat in the hotel as much as possible (dinner is great too) and also a small italian covered in candles making it really romantic and very authentic italian called Little Venice. It is around a 2 minute drive.
All in all San Diego was amazing and Humpreys topped it all off.
Perfect hotel in every way

Room Tip: Ask reception if there are any available upgrades
  • Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Caz1987
San Jose, California
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 16, 2011

I came across the hotel’s 48-hr 50% off sale as I was trying to make a last minute reservation for a conference downtown. The only other options were motels in sketchy parts of town, or $250+ downtown hotels. So $115 (50% off) was a great deal, even though it’s somewhat out of the way ($25 cab ride to downtown).

Shuttle driver was very friendly and pointed a few restaurants within walking distance from the hotel, which was helpful. I did follow his recommendation and had dinner at Umi Sushi – it was very good. All other hotel staff were courteous and helpful.

I had a Premier King (non-view) room on 2nd floor. The buildings look a bit weather beaten. The room itself was very nice, with vaulted ceilings, marble floors in the bathroom/kitchenette, plantation shutters, new furniture/fixtures. Coffee maker, mini-fridge & microwave are provided in the room, although no utensils/plates. Non-view rooms face out onto Shelter Island Drive / marina businesses. Traffic was light, so not bothersome.

Grounds are very nice – with a tropical vibe to it. (Although why pretend you are in Hawaii when you are in San Diego of all places?). I did not observe any loud parties during my mid-week stay; I saw mostly people with kids, retirees – it was very quiet throughout the grounds.

The real problem for me was poor insulation from inside/outside the room. I could hear my neighbors talking in the evening, people walking outside, work crew loading up hotel’s construction materials at 11:30 pm outside, and again my neighbors either talking on the phone or watching TV starting at 5:30 am, or earlier (it’s a blur now).

If I were to pay the regular rate ($230 for a king room or even higher later in the summer), I’d rather stay in one of the newer bay front hotels downtown. Poor insulation/sleep quality was a deal breaker for me.

In summary, your enjoyment of the hotel would depend on the rate you get; location of your room; and how loud/quiet your neighbors are. If I am ever to stay in this hotel again, I’m definitely bringing earplugs!

Room Tip: 2nd fl rooms have vaulted ceilings; bring earplugs
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled on business
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank kseniacoffman
Seattle
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 13, 2011

Sent to the General Manager:

My crew and I have been campaigning a sailboat in San Diego for the last four years. What this means is from September to June, we are in San Diego for long weekends about once a month. Two years ago, at the recommendation of one of our competitors, we checked out and decided to move our program to Humphreys. I can tell you that we are extremely glad we did and will never look back.

In the beginning we worked with Rachel and Melissa and now we work with Rhonda (Rhonda truly rocks!) and Melissa. All have been so accommodating, so great to work with, we could not be happier. All three have really gone out of their way to make us feel welcome and support us as plans change (Or maybe, I may have had it wrong in the first place)

The impressive part about your organization is that it does not stop there. The team at the front desk is on it, makes us feel completely appreciated and welcome as we drag in off the late plane. While we are staying we have B-Fast in the restaurant, the staff always remembers us, makes us feel welcome, the service is just great and nothing is out of place.

Over the last two years we have recommended your accommodations to many friends, family and competitors. All have stayed and all have been pleased.

We will be back to San Diego for the Etchells World Championships in early June and while this is the “end goal”, I am sure we will be back again.

Your team is first class and congratulations. Keep up whatever you are doing!

Please call me with any and all questions or I can provide any additional info,

Keith

• Stayed June 2011, traveled on business
Burlington, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 13, 2011

Booked for $99/night including breakfast coupon ($10/pp for 2 adults) on Travelzoo. Includes free Wi-Fi in room. Parking was $10/day but that was reasonable compared to all the hotels in the area. hotel was near the Marina so great views and surroundings (no beach access though). The pool was very nice and they also have parrots/fish ponds/turtles in the garden....little things that kept our toddler entertained!

We were staying on the 2nd floor and they don't have any elevators so you'll have to move luggage up the stairs...not a big deal for us as you can park right at the bottom of the stairs but some people might not like that.

Great staff! very friendly and helpful. All in all a great stay!!

• Stayed April 2011, traveled with family
Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 9, 2011

We stayed 1 night at this hotel. Absolutely loved it from the location, to the staff and the little extras. There are some great little restaurants down the road and a great wine bar (with live entertainment) in the hotel. The pool was heated and it looked like we were in the tropics. The location, on the marina, is a bit different and lots of fun. Would go back.

Room Tip: Just ask - they were very accomodating.
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
San Diego, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 9, 2011

We stayed here to experience a relaxing evening with a an amazing concert. Lyle Lovett and John Hiatt.

The room was perfect. So close to the venue where when the band played I felt like royalty sitting on the balcony being envied by the concert goers. I called it the worlds largest TV and surround system. Snuggled in a blanket provided by room service and drinking extra coffee they provided to enjoy the cozy evening with my husband.

We had a light dinner of scewered prawns and crisp calamari in the lounge prior to the show where the service was delightful, the ambiance was lively and the view of the water was mesmerizing.

I love coming here and I just want everyone to know how affordable and peaceful and friendly the Half Moon staff is. We will definietely be coming back.

Room Tip: Best way to see a concert!
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple