We stayed here for a week in 2004 and really enjoyed it so when booking our holiday for this year we thought we'd come back (we also spent a week up in Anaheim). After reading some of the reviews on here we were a bit worried that we had made a mistake, but we've stayed at places which have received mixed reviews before and always enjoyed ourselves. I am so glad that we went back as we had a great time. Reading some of the negative reviews I wonder whether we stayed at the same place!
We are a family of four (mum, dad and 2 'kids' in our 20's) and so we had 2 rooms. We were pleased to discover that our rooms were within the same bungalow so we shared the same front door which opened into a small passageway and then our rooms were on either side. We had lovely views of one of the lagoons and we were right next door to the waterfall pool. The rooms were plenty big enough, with a king sized bed and a sofa in mum and dad's room and two queen sized beds and a smaller sofa in our room. We had mini fridges in both of our rooms which we always kept well stocked with food and drink - a trip or 2 to the nearby Vons saved loads on buying breakfast and lunch everyday. Our room also had a small sink area (aside from the bathroom) and a microwave - which was handy for popcorn on the beach in the evening! We liked the way the sink was separate from the main bathroom, allowing 2 people to get ready at once, rather than one taking up the whole bathroom! Speaking of the bathroom, we LOVE the complimentary toiletries provided, they smell great!!
A few negative points were that the plumbing was quite noisy - we could hear when the other room was using the shower, and if both rooms had the shower running at the same time you lost water pressure. A couple of times we found that the maids had forgotten to replenish one of the toiletry items, if we wanted to we could have phoned to have them replaced, but we didn't bother. Yes, the carpets had probably seen better days, but given the type of resort you spend a lot of time barefoot or in flipflops and you don't take your shoes off before you come in the room so what do you expect? It certainly wasn't so bad that you didn't want to stand on it, they just weren't as clean as our carpets at home!
I'm not going to complain about the cost of parking (mainly because it was included in our package from Virgin holidays!) but anyway, we are used to paying at hotels. Yes, it's an annoying added expense, but at least you get a dedicated space right by your room. What is really annoying is when people park in your space! As we had 2 rooms, we technically had 2 parking spaces next to each other, but one night we came back and found someone had parked their huge SUV not only in one of our spaces, but blocking both of our spaces! Please park where you're supposed to!
We found the concierge to be very helpful, and even let us use his phone to call home when we mentioned that whilst using one of the phones in the lobby, the person the other end couldn't hear, and was there another phone to use.
The grounds are beautiful and we always saw people tending to the plants around the resort. We didn't find the pool dirty like some have said - yes, there was the odd leaf etc, floating around, but surely that's to be expected with the amount of surrounding foliage?
All in all, we had a great time and were sad to leave. We'd definitely like to come back again!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Tucked away on gentle Mission Bay, this luxurious 44-acre island resort features comfortable, California bungalow-style rooms amidst lush, tropical gardens and lagoons. Here at this AAA Four-Diamond San Diego hotel, you can explore one mile of beach, five swimming pools, and enjoy various amenities including tennis courts, an 18-hole putting course, beach cruisers, bonfire pits, and a private marina equipped with sailboats, jet skis, and kayaks. Dine at one of two waterfront venues, then relax and refresh at the plush spa with a treatment from Hawaii, Fiji, Thailand, or Bali. Secluded yet centrally located, the hotel is minutes from top attractions including SeaWorld, Old Town, the San Diego Zoo, and Gaslamp District. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Priceline, TravelUp, Sabre Hospitality Solutions, Prestigia, Travelocity, Expedia, Hotels.com, Booking.com, Hotwire, Orbitz, HotelsforEveryone, getaroom.com and Cheap Tickets so you can book your Paradise Point Resort & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Paradise Point Hotel San Diego
- Paradise Point Resort And Spa
- Paradise Point San Diego