“We had a great time, where did you go?!”

Paradise Point Resort & Spa
Ranked #149 of 279 Hotels in San Diego
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed August 11, 2007

We stayed here for a week in 2004 and really enjoyed it so when booking our holiday for this year we thought we'd come back (we also spent a week up in Anaheim). After reading some of the reviews on here we were a bit worried that we had made a mistake, but we've stayed at places which have received mixed reviews before and always enjoyed ourselves. I am so glad that we went back as we had a great time. Reading some of the negative reviews I wonder whether we stayed at the same place!

We are a family of four (mum, dad and 2 'kids' in our 20's) and so we had 2 rooms. We were pleased to discover that our rooms were within the same bungalow so we shared the same front door which opened into a small passageway and then our rooms were on either side. We had lovely views of one of the lagoons and we were right next door to the waterfall pool. The rooms were plenty big enough, with a king sized bed and a sofa in mum and dad's room and two queen sized beds and a smaller sofa in our room. We had mini fridges in both of our rooms which we always kept well stocked with food and drink - a trip or 2 to the nearby Vons saved loads on buying breakfast and lunch everyday. Our room also had a small sink area (aside from the bathroom) and a microwave - which was handy for popcorn on the beach in the evening! We liked the way the sink was separate from the main bathroom, allowing 2 people to get ready at once, rather than one taking up the whole bathroom! Speaking of the bathroom, we LOVE the complimentary toiletries provided, they smell great!!

A few negative points were that the plumbing was quite noisy - we could hear when the other room was using the shower, and if both rooms had the shower running at the same time you lost water pressure. A couple of times we found that the maids had forgotten to replenish one of the toiletry items, if we wanted to we could have phoned to have them replaced, but we didn't bother. Yes, the carpets had probably seen better days, but given the type of resort you spend a lot of time barefoot or in flipflops and you don't take your shoes off before you come in the room so what do you expect? It certainly wasn't so bad that you didn't want to stand on it, they just weren't as clean as our carpets at home!

I'm not going to complain about the cost of parking (mainly because it was included in our package from Virgin holidays!) but anyway, we are used to paying at hotels. Yes, it's an annoying added expense, but at least you get a dedicated space right by your room. What is really annoying is when people park in your space! As we had 2 rooms, we technically had 2 parking spaces next to each other, but one night we came back and found someone had parked their huge SUV not only in one of our spaces, but blocking both of our spaces! Please park where you're supposed to!

We found the concierge to be very helpful, and even let us use his phone to call home when we mentioned that whilst using one of the phones in the lobby, the person the other end couldn't hear, and was there another phone to use.

The grounds are beautiful and we always saw people tending to the plants around the resort. We didn't find the pool dirty like some have said - yes, there was the odd leaf etc, floating around, but surely that's to be expected with the amount of surrounding foliage?

All in all, we had a great time and were sad to leave. We'd definitely like to come back again!

• Stayed: August 2007, traveled with family
4  Thank iwanttogoonholiday

Reviewed August 10, 2007

I went to Paradise Point to relax and get away from Chicago. I am an adult over 50 yrs old and came alone. I wanted a quiet place, where I could walk safely and enjoy to view of the bay or the beautiful landscaping. If I had been looking for night time entertainment I would have been disappointed, but I went for this atmosphere purposely.

I also experienced some difficulty at check-in with the desk staff and the availability of the room. Originally after check in, I was disappointed in the room, this was due to the low light at 5pm which did not do the room any favors and my tired state. As the next day arrived the shabby chic room was exactly what I had expected. I did think the drapes could have better covered the windows but that is all. All rooms are bungalow-like and have a lanai looking out on gardens or lagoons or the mission bay beach.

The evening I arrived I ate at Baleen, the chilean sea bass was excellent. On the point near Baleen there was a wedding being performed which could be seen from their patio area. What a sweet way to start a vacation.

I talked to a few "locals", Paradise Point is a destination for California, Arizona and Nevada locals for weekend retreats. They arrive in their SUVs along with b-b-ques to party the weekend at the beach. One family had been coming to this area for at least two generations for weekend get-aways. They conveyed that the prices can vary widely for the accomodations and recommended shopping around for the best price.

There are three very clean pools: one communal pool with 3 fantasic fountains (this one is very shallow), a childrens pool and an adult only pool. There is a secluded bar near the bigger pool. There is mini golf and multiple person bikes to be rented.

The spa staff is knowledgeable and their offerings are wonderful. The pricing was about what I would pay in an upscale salon in Chicago, their spa was better than any of those Chicago spas.

The lagoons have nice outcroppings with comfortable patio furniture which makes a great place for morning coffee and reading the paper.

The concierge staff was extremely helpful at all times and have discounted tickets to some local events as well as specialty prices with taxi firms. The Old Town Trolley tour picks up on the property as well as a bus tour to Mexico.

I had a wonderfully restful visit to Paradise Point and would love to go back again sometime in the future.

• Stayed: July 2007, traveled solo
3  Thank ChgotoSD
Reviewed August 9, 2007

We lucked out and "San Diego Concierge" (in the San Diego yellow pages) found us a room here for $139 a night. It was a great hotel and the pools were really nice, but I felt things were way overpriced here. The restaurants were out of our budget and the market charged $6 for a 6 pack of Diet Coke. We drove down the road and there is a KFC and a Wendy's and a grocery store where we bought breakfast items.
For what we paid, I feel this was a reasonable price. But when I heard the normal rate was $400 a night, I was in shock. Do not pay that much to stay here!!!
We had a lot of fun here, but I just recommend to anyone staying here to not agree to pay the high rate.
The staff were very friendly.

Stayed: August 2007
1  Thank DMH1416
Reviewed July 30, 2007

Insufficient housekeeping staff to have overpriced rooms ready for the 4pm check in. As a front desk employee put it "check in just "starts" at 4 pm (long line)..that doesn't mean the rooms are ready. There were several crowded pool facilities, but since we had no room card key, we had to just wait around until almost five o'clock. A food credit was offered to make up for the inconvenience, but it was "accidentally" charged to our room instead of credited (check the bill carefully!) Ice bucket was missing from room, but it didn't matter, because ice machines were too hard to find and soda machines empty. Room had "adjoining" door in bad repair & peeling paint and grody grout did not effect a real "resort" atmosphere.

Reviewed July 30, 2007

we stayed for 5 nights and had a lovely garden room, quite near the ocean and pools, in orchid area.. we had a great stay and would recommend the hotel, but the service was frustrating at times, in that it could be excellent but it could also be realoly awful. This applied to the barefoot grill and the room and pool service. The Balleen restaurant and the concierge were excellent.
DO complain, ask for a manager, they listen and respond.
Its the only way to get an improvement, by the time you write on here, its too late.

The watersports facility is good but its not really a bathing beach, more a relax and look at the ocean type of beach.

The reviews on here about the layout and orienteering are harsh, it is well signposted and well lt, you dont really need to get in to your 4x4 truck to go to the coffee cart, there are paths!!

• Stayed: July 2007, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank waltons39
Reviewed July 23, 2007

Spent two expensive nights at the resort in April 2007 as part of a family trip. I cannot find a single good thing to say about it but many many many terrible ones. Where to start?

First the money. This is a very expensive resort $300+ and upon checking in we are told that there is a $20 per day parking fee, are you kidding me? Maybe they park your car and wash it at night? Of course not. It is dishonest for a hotel to add these kind of extra fees on top of the room charge without telling you about them when you book. There is a mini golf on site. My nephew and nieces wanted to play, surprise surprise you need to pay $9 a head for a pathetic little course right on by the road. Want to use the gym? Sure, $15 please. By the way the gym is the only nice thing in the whole property, i.e. it is new and has new equipment but it should be free, as in every hotel in the world.

The rest of the place is shockingly in need of a remodel and not just a coat of paint. Our two rooms smelled horribly musty. We asked to be moved, the next two rooms were musty too but not as bad. The furniture is in bad shape, the bed covers very suspicious, the bathrooms drab, the walls paper thin and we found tons of ants in the bathroom the next morning.

Our room overlooked a murky pound. The gardens are dull and in need of some landscaping. They do however mow the lawn at 7am, thank you!!

I am glad we did not spend the extra money for a room with sea view as the beach is dirty and the water polluted. Needless to say that we shortened our stay there and checked out the following day.

• Stayed: April 2007, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
3  Thank asia4me
Reviewed July 21, 2007

The landscape is beautiful but since the bungalows look the same, it's hard to navigate during evening hours.You may get lost so don't hesitate to ask the great workers driving around all day and night for directions or even a ride. The staff/conceirge are nice but terribly slow!!! At one point, I was ready to jump behind the desk and check myself out. The rooms were poorly cleaned; the bathrooms were really dirty, carpet felt dirty, and the sheets did not feel clean or soft. This was true for all 3 rooms my friends and I rented out. To be perfectly honest, the only great amenity offered was the friendly service.

• Stayed: July 2007, traveled with friends