“Delightful”

Paradise Point Resort & Spa
Ranked #143 of 286 Hotels in San Diego
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed April 27, 2010

I booked this hotel through Travelocity and was quite hesitant after reading some of the comments left by others. I have to say that my stay was delightful. There was a group of 4 of us and the room was nice and big and we didn't feel cramped at all (and that is a lot due to the amount of luggage we all brought for our cruise the next day). The decor was very nice and the beds were very comfortable. We had a room that opened to a lake (I think it was called a lagoon room) . We opened our patio doors in the morning to enjoy the fresh air and to our delight we had a family of ducks join us in our room for the morning. They were very friendly and just came and went as they pleased (where else can you have that happen), We ate breakfast at the restaurant overlooking the ocean and both the food and the service were up to our standards. Overall we enjoyed our stay and I hope to return soon with my kids.

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled with friends
Write a ReviewReviews (5,908)

Reviewed April 26, 2010

I went out West to look at colleges with my daughters. My younger daughter saw this resort on Jon & Kate and was just dying to stay there. After a fair amount of research and speaking with Annette Ross, the reservations manager, I felt confident this would be a great place to stay with kids for 3 nights, one of whom has a walking disability and daily therapy. We arrived in the evening down a tropical path illuminated by tiki torches and were greeted by very friendly front desk staff and checked in promptly. Upon arrival to our "upgraded" suite we entered a room that was dirty (sink with food particles in the drain, bugs in the bathroom area, dirt all over the light switches, paper on the floor, cob webs in the corners... obviously not the clean I am used to even in the most basic hotel. I phoned the front desk and explained the condition of the suite and was moved to an "executive suite" within 30 minutes. Upon arrival to our new suite, we encountered some of the same problems in terms of cleanliness and no bedding for the pull out sofa sleeper. The pillows for the second bed were wet and once again debris on the floor, the bedroom door would not close without slamming and putting weight into it making it just as difficult to open, no soaps, a tub faucet that was falling out of the wall with a huge hole above it. I phoned housekeeping and asked for bedding and was informed that they were out of pillows, linens and blankets and had nothing to send us. I again phoned the front desk and then asked to speak with the manager on duty. I was told there was not a manager on duty and that she would send someone to another empty room to retrieve the missing bedding. Upon arrival the linens smelled of cigarette smoke. I gave up and 4 of us, slept in a king size bed - suffice it to say it wasn't a pleasant evening. The next morning I did meet with a manager (not the GM, he was on vacation), who listened, admitted the resort dropped the ball and did not charge us for the room night, and then offered to move us. Unfortunately, there weren't any rooms available, and the manager had the current room cleaned from top to bottom, reduced our rate if I wanted to stay. That said, the property while may have been renovated, it's not the caliber of resort my family is used to. The pools are small, the beach dirty... The restaurant was good. The rooms (2 that we were in) essentially had yellow paint slapped on the walls to cover up the old and a few new pieces of contemporary furniture. The rooms do not look like the pictures on the website, so I opted to move our family to a more suitable property. I would like to say that while the property fell very short of meeting our expectations, the manager did try to make things right. The problem is that it was the quality of rooms and housekeeping staff.

Reviewed April 24, 2010

Pros: The resort has beautiful well maintained grounds. They have 3 pools (1 is adult only), one has a grill and bar. The rooms were nicely decorated, spacious and comfortable ( we had a garden view room). Outside of each unit are 2 patio chairs and small round table for relaxation. The staff could not have been better. Every person we encountered from front desk to grounds keepers were top notch. Very close to Sea World.
Cons: Although each room has an assigned parking space, you are charged $25 per day to park. Internet was $15/day, Each day I was charged 6 taxes totalling $36/day. The on site grill was very overpriced for very plain average tasting food. Nearest off site restaurants about 2 miles away.

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 24, 2010

We had hoped for better. The rooms are in blocks of chalets which are packed tightly together with parking spots outside so it's more of a motel than a hotel. Room OK but small compared to other hotels in USA - clean but buildings are old with old (and so noisy aircon, fridge, bathroom ventilation). Noisy plant room outside (possibly the pump for the duck pond water feature). Housekeeping was terrible - they often didn't turn up till after 4.00pm. Got locked out of the room at one stage due to a faulty door lock - I think they are old too - took ages to sort out - couldn’t get to see a manager (all too busy apparently).
The barefoot restaurant only has about 8 dishes on the menu which is the same for lunch and dinner - never changed all week we were there. The coffee bar is only open in the morning. The shop (Island Market) had helpful staff but was pricey. There are no other amenities nearby unless you drive.
It's only saving grace was that it is just about within walking distance of Seaworld for children (about a mile) - there is no hotel shuttle to Seaworld though. If that’s where you want to go to then that’s the only good reason for staying here - there are many much better places to stay in the San Diego area for the money. Don't stay any longer than 1 or 2 days though and think of it as an overpriced motel with swimming pools scattered around the car parks and you are less likely to be disappointed.

1  Thank sunnytimthesecond
Reviewed April 23, 2010

Got a great deal on travel website. Beautiful resort, beautiful grounds... tropical plants and flowers everywhere. Beautiful lagoon on property. Everything was very well-maintained and cared for. The rooms were very nicely decorated, clean, comfortable, and updated looking. Convenient fridge/freezer in room. Attentive service. Appealing looking pools all over the place.... although the weather was a little too cold for me to swim. Easy check in and out. Option to upgrade my room for $15/night, which we did. Maybe my only complaint if you could even call it that was the breakfast at the restaurant was a little pricey for a basic meal, but to me it was worth it for the lovely relaxing view on the water. And yes you pay for parking, but who cares.... just know before you book and calculate it into the price of the stay. Would highly recommend.

Reviewed April 20, 2010

Soooo relaxing. Very amazing. I want to go back there, it was AWESOME. (:

Stayed: March 2008
Reviewed April 14, 2010

I would recommend this resort to anyone we loved it here. I too read a lot of negative reports before we went and considered cancelling and booking elsewhere. I am so glad we didn’t.

The location couldn’t be better, close to sea world, restaurants and beaches. Easy drive to the Zoo, down town and La Jolla.

The rooms were clean, spacious and modern. The staff were very friendly and helpful. On the first day we had a slight problem with the shower tap, I called reception and a maintenance man arrived to fix it within 5 mins. He was also happy to answer some of our questions regarding best beaches and restaurants to go to in the area.

Our only gripe would be no coffee facilities in the room. We had to queue every morning at the coffee cart to buy some.

The food at the Barefoot Grill was good, but not alot to choose from. Didn’t go to Baleen as it was a bit pricey.

We booked through Virgin Atlantic so didn’t have to pay the parking fee. I’m glad because $25 a day is ridiculous!

Altogether a brilliant week in San Diego!!

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled as a couple