“Paradise Point Resort is charming and quaint...”

Paradise Point Resort & Spa
Ranked #146 of 279 Hotels in San Diego
GreenLeadersSilver level
A TripAdvisor Member
“Paradise Point Resort is charming and quaint...”
Reviewed January 2, 2006

My family of four just returned from a week at Paradise Point Resort in San Diego (12/26-1/1/06). The grounds are beautifully landscaped...a lush and tropical feel embraces you the minute you drive into the resort. They had Christmas lights up and twinkling all over the resort and my 5-yr-old loved them. The staff was very helpful. We arrived 4:30 p.m. on Monday and needed to find a grocery store to buy formula and diapers for my 9 month old. The bellhop gave us a copy of directions to most major attractions in the area. We used these directions every day! They are wonderful and much more reliable than my interpretations of a map! We received an ample supply of towels every day. Good considering that the air on Mission Bay is always damp. Nothing will dry completely. Surprisingly, we never received new glasses. Mugs, yes, but glasses, no.

The bungalows are charming, but they do need some additional remodelling. However, the staff was attentive to our concerns; our bathtub was slow-draining and by day 2 that had been fixed. The walls are thin.

We had a lovely location, with our Adirondack chairs facing the lights of the Pacific Beach area and the bay. While the pools are heated, they are not really warm enough to swim in. My 5-yr-old swam twice, but only for brief amounts of time; this was a huge disappointment for us as we were assured they would be warm enough. I cannot comment on either restaurant, as we didn't eat there. I had read enough comments about seagulls to know that would completely gross me out. And let's face it, with two young kids who wants to waste that kind of money??

Overall, an enjoyable stay. Probably would stay there again if our kids were older.

3 Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (967)
  • Polish first
New York
Reviewed January 1, 2006

My husband and I just returned from this hotel; From start to finish we had a disappionting experience. We splurged, since this was our honeymoon, and expected luxury; This is not a luxurious resort!
The rooms are all single story bugalows;from the internet description we expected an "islandy" feel. We arrived to a rundown exterior; our room had cracked cement walls and rotting wood chairs. The inside of the room is nice with rustic decor and the bathrooms are the best part. However, halfway through the trip we found a leak in the ceiling which was dripping on the floor and bed. We called twice and were told someone would come out. They never did so we ended up moving the bed to avoid getting wet.
The resort does have nice pools, but it was too cool to use them. I definatley would not stay here in the winter, since the pools are the one nice part you can use if it is warm enough.
The resort has two restaurants, Baleen and the Barefoot. We had breakfast and lunch at Barefoot, and although the food was ok, we found the service to be very slow. We had booked Baleen for New Year's Eve but were called that day and told we could not be accomodated due to the weather, they had closed the outdoor patio. (Lucky for us the Gaslamp Distict is close by and we found a great restaurant)Another word about the restaurants...make sure you check your bill, we had charges to our room for the restaurant that others had signed off on and clearly did not match or signature or even name. We complained and they did remove them, but beware!
I decided to treat myself to the Spa one day, but have to say it was not worth it. I have been to spas all over the world and this is very overpriced and has no added extra's. I had to wait for a shower which was not that clean, and the sauna was not hot. I paid $220 for a 80 minute treatment, and expected to get to use the facilities...but there really were none. They do have a small gym which you can use the day of service, but regular hotel patrons pay $10 a day for. For the price of this hotel the gym should be free! Also the "quiet room" I look forward to at spas is next the main pool were tons of kids were playing, so it is not Quiet!
The lasrt night we ordered room service, which tasted ok, but took an hour to arrive. It was pricey but room service always is, but what killed me was an 18% gratuity charge PLUS a delivery charge....more added fees!
So we finally check out, and are glad to be done, when we get slammed one final time! As I mentioned before there were errors on our bill, but they also charge $16 per day for parking! Usually I can understand this when the fee is told upfront, but from the way it was presented at check in you thought the parking was included. The spot has your room number on it, so if you don't use it no one else will....just another way to bang you out for a few bucks.
BEWARE..BEWARE.....Unless you want to throw your money away and get mediocre service pick another resort!

13 Thank TriciaandPaddy

Travelers are raving about these San Diego hotels

Oakland, CA
Reviewed December 27, 2005

My wife and I and our two young daughters went here just a week ago, based on the generally favorable reviews on this site and the recommendation of a friend in San Diego.

While the place was well located (on Mission Bay, near Sea World) it was not worth the $300+ we paid per night to be in a "Bayside Bungalow."

The bungalows (their most expensive room type) are generally nice (not great), but the "bay view" is not worth the money. You're not on the ocean; the water is still and the beach is not very attractive.

We liked the main pool very much, the grounds were very nicely landscaped and the restaurants were good (Baleen is overpriced with no entree less than about $25+).

Also disappointing were a number of things including the fact that they were charging $10 per day for use of the gym/spa -- at $300 per night, that should be included. That added tot he feeling of being "nicked and dimed" (so did a poor $4 latte).

Also, the observation tower was covered in bird excrement, which reflected poorly on the hotel generally.

There's also a slight "theme park" feel here as opposed to that of a truly elegant resort (which they represent themselves to be).

Upon reflection, the Hotel Del Coronado (on the ocean) would have been a much better experience for the money.

4 Thank GregSt
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed December 22, 2005

The Paradise Point Resort has everything; you don't need to leave if you don't want too. The resort is structured around a bay and has duplex bungalows. Our bungalow had a small entrace area, a huge room, fridge, mirowave and eating area, large bath area, couch and a small patio. We were a short walk from the bay, the spa and the pool. Our room was very clean and well organized. We enjoyed our stay very much and this would be a great location if you're planning on visiting Sea World which is right down the street. We booked trhough Hotwire at a rate of $119 per night and it was a steal at that price.

4 Thank MilesToGo
CT
Reviewed December 19, 2005

If you have money to burn stay here. Parking is 18.00 a night on top of your 182.00 per night. They do not tell you this until you get there. Too, late then, it was a package. Then, simple fare was quite expensive as well. Any healthy choices will cost you dearly. Lovely view, great Christmas decorations. The worst part, having to leave unexpectantly 2 days early. We had trip insurance and Expedia tried to get our 2 days back or at least a portion. The manager would not give a dime back he said. We were very disappointed as we had no choice and had to leave early. It is up to the discretion of the hotel and they chose to give nothing back. From now on Days Inn it is They do it all...

2 Thank sunnygal1900
Reviewed December 18, 2005

I was on a business trip for only one night and it was definitely not my best choice here.
The hotel is located near Sea World in the middle of nowhere, so you better have a car or be prepared to pay very high taxi fees.

Though the lobby and rooms were nice and kind of tropical warmth, this is imperatively a summer resort, and unless you plan to go there for a week or so and use all the hotel facilities, simply choose something else.

It did reminded me of Gilligan's Island, but getting to my room was a mess and parking the car in the "right" spot was another mess.

Getting from the hotel to downtown takes about 15-30 minutes depending on Traffic, but make sure I insist you have a car, beware of the $18 fee per day, I arranged it because I ran out of hot running water in the middle of my bath.

I visited tha spa which is nice, but nothing out of this world.

Just an average summer resort.

• Stayed December 2005, traveled on business
2 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed November 14, 2005

My parents used to take our family when I was a little girl to Paradise Point, then called Vacation Village and we loved it, so when my husbands company decided to make Paradise Point their destination for a company retreat, I was very excited to take my own children there. I am always one to read reviews, and was disappointed when I read a few bad ones, however, now that I have stayed at Paradise Point, I will have to highly disagree with the negative reviews. I don't know if Paradise Point listened to the complaints and fixed them or what, but we had a wonderful time there. The rooms were very clean and very cute. The grounds are absolutely beautiful. The service was excellent and professional, and the food was great. The beach area was very nice also. And you can't get a much better location. There were over 50 employees there, and every person we talked to seemed to agree that Paradise Point is a wonderful, beautiful place. I would definantely stay there again! My kids loved it! Thanks for a great trip Paradise Point! Keep up the good work so my children and theirs can continue to enjoy this beautiful place.

6 Thank A TripAdvisor Member