“Don't nickel-and-dime me!”

Ranked #148 of 286 Hotels in San Diego
GreenLeadersSilver level
Glen Ellyn, IL
Reviewed April 16, 2005

When I pay this much for a Spring Break resort for my family, I certainly don't want to be fooled. I felt "fooled" everytime I turned around here.

From the $18 NON-VALET parking charge per night to the $2.25 soda machine price, this place is out to squeeze you. They charge $10/day for high-speed internet, and nick you for $9 for the mini-golf course. I guess my $350+ room charge is just for the room! What does my daily "resort fee" cover?!

Sloppy service at the restaurant; daily complaints about the myriad cig butts outside of our unit failed to motivate housekeeping to clean them.

Having stayed at many resorts in AZ, FL, HI, and CA through the years, I found that this was the one where I paid the most and got the least.

• Stayed: March 2005
15  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Write a ReviewReviews (5,845)

Reviewed April 16, 2005

I also was worried after reading previous reviews but decided to carry on expecting the worst. Got there and they didn't have any record of our booking (I felt at this point I was right to be worried). Luckily they were not booked up and because of the confusion gave us a room right on the beach. With kids of 7 and 10 this was fantastic. After a hard day out enjoying ourselves ,beach for kids, relaxing chair for mum (not on the beach), very nice gym for dad,PERFECT.
The room was spotless. The staff were great. What more could you want.l

2  Thank UkCarlos10
Los Angeles, CA
Reviewed April 16, 2005

It's funny to me as a Californian how people from England think this hotel is HEAVEN because there is a pool and a jacuzzi. That's pretty standard in every hotel here. But, if you're looking for one of those warm weather resorts with a huge pool near the ocean - this is definitely NOT it. I live in Los Angeles and we drove down for a few days with our 6 year-old daughter. This place is a great location if you're headed to Sea World. (It's next door.) And it was loaded with folks from England who we enjoyed meeting. But, it had some kinks that bugged me. When we arrived (a bit before the 4 PM check-in) the computer was down and they couldn't check us in. We had to wait an hour to check-in. The main pool is not very big and the jacuzzi is small and up the steps from the pool. There are three other pools on the property - but the others are much smaller and only one other one is heated. (It was chilly when we were there.) There is only one jacuzzi. This might seem picky - but, this is a huge complex with dozens of rooms. If the weather had been warmer and more people were in the pool and jacuzzi - you wouldn't have been able to move. As it was - I kept bumping into people when I was swimming.
Our room was a lanai room - no view of anything except the parking lot in front of our room. Okay, that's what we paid for, but forget about the barbecue pit and view of the water unless you want to pay $300 a night. (Not really worth it.) Our room was conveniently located next to the main lobby and pool though. And it gave us easy access to our car. There seemed to be a lot of hidden costs where you felt nickel and dimed: $18 for parking, $10 to use the gym. The food at the restaurant was not very good and overpriced and the service was poor. And if you want to order one of those tropical drinks while you sit by the pool - it's $9.00. Oh and leave the golf clubs at home - that silly putting course they have is for kids and they charge extra to use it!
Our first morning we were woken up by the gardeners at 6:15 AM mowing the lawn right outside our room. We complained and got $50 off the room. But, I would have prefered the sleep. That afternoon we returned from Sea World to find my earrings were missing from the room. We complained again and got more money off - but, again I would have preferred the return of my opal earrings.
The rooms are nicely decorated in "country" style. But, the maid short-sheeted our beds every night and by morning I was sleeping on a bare mattress.
When you go to San Diego you have three choices of areas to stay in: the Gaslamp area downtown which is terrific - you can walk everywhere. But, maybe not the best place for families with young children. There's Old Town which is a must see, another walking area and some nice hotels are there, (Best Western Hacienda is wonderful) but you might get some freeway traffic noise. Then there is the Mission Bay area near Sea World. Paradise Point is really on a point that juts out into Mission Bay. You have to know though that this is a marina and boating area - and you are not allowed to swim at the beach across from the hotel. The other problem with Paradise Point is that you have to drive to get to anything. You can't walk to restaurants or stores or pick up the trolley to Mexico like in the Gaslamp or Old Town area. Still I think if you have kids you might like the space at Paradise Point where the kids can run around. San Diego is a compact city though (unlike LA!) and Old Town and downtown San Diego are only a few minutes drive away. If you stay at Paradise Point, I'd suggest getting your drinks and some snacks at the grocery store. Thankfully there's a small (empty) fridge in the room and if you just drive down the road from the hotel you'll find a Von's and Ralphs.
There are some things to reccomend this hotel: the staff at the front desk was courteous, the hotel was clean and well maintained and there was an effort to accomodate the guests. There's some nice touches on the property like the fountains that turn into torches at night. I'm sure the spa is nice - although I didn't have a treatment. But, I have to tell you the $10 for the gym was worth it because it also alllows you to use the eucalyptus steam room in the spa - now that was HEAVEN!

17  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Mammoth Lakes, CA
Reviewed April 13, 2005

I just got back 4/12/2005. After booking I read the reviews which seem to be quite varied, so we simply prepared for the worst of the reviews to be partly true. I cannot recall a more delightful stay!!! We booked a garden lanai but wished we had a room on the bay, once we got there. For $25 more per night we were moved to a room on the bay for our remaining two nights. Not only that, but we were at Sea World, so all we had to do was round up our suitcases and leave them together in the room. The bellman came by when the new room was ready and moved our bags. I was afraid we'd have to check out at noon and back in at 4, but no, they moved us directly over at 3:30. I don't understand the parking complaints, your space is reserved and right at your front door. So $18.00 is a little steep, but the overall cost is not. People that don't bring a car probably appreciate this expense not being "included". Food was great at the restaurants, every single staff member was cheery and polite. Every big "tower" hotel we drove past we all agreed "I'm glad we're not staying there!"

My boys 11 and 13 will absolutely NOT sleep in the same bed and in any other hotel I've been in when there are 2 queen beds they do not allow a rollaway. These guys did. Not only that, but in our particular room the closet was soooo big that the rollaway fit in the closet and we still had plenty of room for everthing else, including accessing the door that went from the closet to the back end of the bathroom! What fun. On our last day our plane didn't leave until 10:00pm so after check out we were permitted to use the grounds the entire day. I will go only there whenever I return to San Diego.

Stayed: April 2005
12  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Tacoma, Washington
Reviewed April 11, 2005

We had 3 joining rooms. 2 of them were bugalows. The view was awesome. We got to see seaworld fireworks everynite while doing a bonfire with the kids. Which is located in front of your bugalow when you open your door. The Adults and kids loved it. We made new friends at the bonfire and it was so relaxing at day and night. The rooms were awesome, especially the beds, they were heaven. We loved the pool and jacuzzi it was "HEAVEN". After a long day at seaworld, sand diego zoo try the jacuzzi it is heaven. put your feet on the jet stream it is "WONDERFUL". My mom went to the spa and love every minute of it. We like the fact that in the day we can open the doors and it can become one big house and at night close the doors and have privacy.

The staff was awesome, my husband and I tipped the bellmen 20 dollars and I have never tipped someone that much. Very professional and friendly with the kids. My 7 and 14 year old son loved him.

I recommend if you stay there to make sure you leave your shoes and sandals outside of the rooms. Due to all the sand, because the bay is right there. I dont know how they keep the rooms up but our room was very well kept and beautiful.

We stayed there for 4 nights and headed to anaheim to disney and universal. We all wished we stayed there for our whole entire vacation.

great food, great service, great place to vacation. This resort has made our vacation a memorable one. We are still talking about it.

I highly recommend this resort. We already have planned to stay here next year and planned to stay there our entire trip.

7  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed April 10, 2005

I read all the reviews and had mixed feelings when we went. I stayed right on the water and had 2 rooms. I think that some of the ant comments were rooms in the garden area, located inside the resort. I had no ant problems and my room was about 50 feet from the harbor... right near my room was a bonfire pit and several lounge chairs. The room rate was $297 (incl tax) and it was very nice.. 2 queen beds, tv, refrigerator, coffee maker... the bathroom was very spacious! The only bad part was I felt like I was in a bubble.. the doors were glass and had a sheer fabric for privacy. Behind the sheer fabric was a plastic thicker cloth, so at night I felt fine, but I could see people peeking in while they walked the beach.

The check in process was ok. I didn't know that check in was 4:00 and I had a massage at 4. I checked in at 3:00 only to be told my 2 rooms were not ready yet. My one friend decided not to get a spa treatment and said she'd wait til 4. Well by 5 we still had no room. The resort gave us a $30 credit but heavily hinted to use it at the bar. I guess they did not want to "refund" any money, eh?

If you want a place to stroll or water sports, this is a great place. Plenty of hideaway area to sit and relax... lots of Ducks and fowl walking around... not at all intimiadated by the guests. I wish we had more time to sit around the outside area with a drink... or even lounged in the check in area.

I do admit that the service was prompt. We had one of the doors missing a sheer fabric. I called housekeeping and they fixed it in 15 minutes. Their concierge was friendly but not very helpful in suggesting a reasonable priced steak restaurant. They had a stack of menus to choose from local restaurants but they were as pricey as you can get.. well the one she showed me was "Max's" and steaks were $30+. She offered making reservations, which was helpful, but We ended up going to a local Outback Steakhouse, off the 8 freeway. It was a bit frustrating that the concierge had no clue where the nearest Outback was when we asked for directions.

The massage treatment was wonderful... price was no different than any other resort ($95 for a 50 min sweedish, $145 for an 80 min serenity massage) but I did find their automatic 20 percent tip a bit outrageous. I know I could have adjusted it if I didn't feel it was worth 20 percent, but they should allow the guest to determine, not have them tell you how much.

I think the $18 parking was a bit outrageous. You do get to park right near your bungalow (or they call it the Lanai) but the area was so squishy, I felt the car next to me would ding my car. I think if you want to park near you can pay. If you don't mind walking you should have free parking near the Gift Shop. The breakfast at the Barefoot restaurant was tasty and good, but a bit pricey. $8 for oatmeal and raisins, $3.95 for a carafe of coffee (per person), $3.95 for OJ (but squeezed with pulp), and $11 for corned beef hash with an egg & holandaise sauce on top.

3  Thank 071810f
Reviewed April 8, 2005

We stayed for five nights at Paradise Point in the garden rooms, check in went smoothly and there were no problems with the room. The beds were very comfortable and rooms well equipt, our room was a stone's through away from one of the pools, ( this was heated ) as many towels as you required were availabe for your use at the poolside and deposited for laundering when finished with, plenty of sun beds at all times of day.
We ate in both of the resteraunts and found the food very good, only one small moan the cost of coffee in the Bellene was very high.
San Diego is an amazing place to visit with many different areas, The Old Town is well worth a look, so is the Gas Lamp Quater, dont' forget Wyour visit to Sea World which is a short way from your accomadation.
For the shoppers out there Fashion Valley is amazing.
I hope to visit San Diego again and would not hesitate to book Paradise Point for my visit,

3  Thank oersue