“Not bad, not great”

Paradise Point Resort & Spa
Ranked #152 of 278 Hotels in San Diego
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed December 14, 2004

Pretty much every less than favorable review is correct. We experenced everything bad that every reviewer seemed to experence and though it all - we still had a good time!

We stayed for a week during Thanksgiving 2004. It started off at check in - we were told that the water was not working and they were not sure when it would be turned on. We were told not to use the bathroom or use any water at all. If you had to wash your hands please use bottled water and you will not be charge. My wife was less than pleased, luckily, our flight was not that long so no one had to take shower. I remembered that we were on on island and these things do happen. After my wife had the maintence people provide a bucket of water so we could use the toilet - we had to discuss if we were going to really stay here for a week. At 11:00pm - 7 hours after check in - the water came back on.

The room itself was Ok, nothing really special and it really didn't match the polynesian island theme. Three people taking showers, you will run out of hot water. We had a garden - lagoon view and by the weeks end, we had bugs inside (we were being careful about that too) the room.

Somethings just seemed strange to us but that could be just where we are from - Oregon & Japan. At the begining of the week, there must have been about ten people in the whole hotel - the staff out numbered us two to one. It was off season and it was fun to have the run of the place even though I felt a little uneasy about eating in a restuarant and we're the only people there. Though out this, they would charge for everything; parking and miniture golf ($16 & $9 per person) fitness center...everything! If they could find a way to squeeze a dime out of you, they will try (duck and fish food were @1.25 each)!

Maid service was Ok, once during the week they miss us and we had to call. Room service was quick and they had no problem in sending us extra plates and silverware.

By Thanksgiving, the place started to fill up. Total, must of been about half full but it felt very pack. I cannot imagine this place completly full -parking, swiming even the rooms with their very thin walls would be horrible.

The problems with check out were there - a mystery charge of $8.00 for water appeared. But we checked our bill using the in room system through the televison and called to clear it up before leaving. The funny thing about this whole ordeal was that I contacted the hotel via e-mail before we arrived and express my concerns about staying here. I pointed out many of things that I have read in the other reviews in this section and was reassured that none of this would come to pass.

Even with all this, the grounds were just great. We brought our own scooters and was really alot of fun going through the maze of trails and roads. We tried swiming once at he main pool but the water wasn't really heated so we didn't stay to long. The location of the hotel is fantastic, nothing except for maybe the Wild Animale Park, is thirty minutes away. And once you get the "lay of the land" getting around is really easy. Over Thanksgiving weekend, they lit the Christmas lights and they were absolutely beautiful. So even with all the little things, it still was pleasant experence.

I read on the door or somewhere that the maxium price for the room is $350 per night. I feel that the room was really worth about $125.00 plus $16 for parking and $5.00 for tax. If any questions about anything San Diego, Oregon or Japan please feel free to contact me!

12  Thank tigardguy

Hillsboro, OR
Reviewed December 12, 2004

For over $250/nt - we expected far better than a Best Western caliber motel. Our room was damp and completely overrun with ANTS. Ants in the carpet, drawers, bedding, bathroom - everywhere! Management was unwilling to do anything as they were sold out until the last 2 nights when we demanded a different room - next room the ants were less noticeable, but there none the less. When we continued to complain, the manager told us he would refund 2 nights but that we had to request this from our travel agent upon our return. Months later, the Paradise Point still has not refunded any money, nor any apology, and maintains they have no record of any refund being offered. For $250/nt - stay at del Coronado, the Marriott, the Hyatt - anywhere but here! BEWARE!

8  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Tucson, Arizona
Reviewed December 2, 2004

We recently stayed at Paradise point for the Thanksgiving holidays. I was very nervous as the reviews on this website were scarey !! But, we were Pleasantly Surprised !! Got a great deal on the room through a brochure sent home from my son's school. I think it is getawaytoday. Super company with whom to work. Anyway, we ABSOLUTELY LOVED the property. The number one benefit is its location - right on a point in mission bay. It takes away the hustle and bustle of being in a large city. Our Family felt safe and secure as well being nicely tucked away from the party scene of some of the other properties in the area. The pool was excellent and very clean. We ate at Barefoot Bar & grill for breakfast.....that's a little pricey, they charge a lot for juice ($3.95 i think)......But it was beautiful and worth it. Pretty standard for resorts. We also took advantage of room service quite a bit and found it a better option as we brought our own juice and other drinks and put them in the refrigerator there in the room. That worked out REALLY WELL. Another great feature was kids meals on the room service menu priced at $4.50. That Rocked. The rooms were quite nice but you have to keep in mind that this is an older property.........it's not brand new and does show some wear and tear....however, the features that were upgraded were the ones important to us. Marble in the bathroom, granite counter tops, nice shower head, new bedding and shower curtains, upgraded lighting, new carpet, etc. It's definitely a big property, so pick your location wisely.....certainly should ask for a room that DOES NOT overlook the parking lot. Also should have your kids bring skate boards and scooters as there are many trails throughout the property and it was a fun way to get around. IT's a perfect family destination.....we'll absolutely be back ! We looked at several other hotels while in the area and couldn't find one that we'd preference. I definitly recommend Paradise Point to Families. It was super.

4  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
sac, ca
Reviewed December 2, 2004

I read the Trip Advisor reviews prior to staying at the hotel and apprehensively decided to commit based on location, the more positive reviews I had read here, and the website. I was actually VERY pleasantly surprised upon arriving at the hotel and was still pleased after 5 days of staying at the resort with my staff and family (taking up 3 different rooms). Yes, the prices at the restaurant seemed a little high for family style eating and the spa was pricey as well, and some of the features in the room were slightly worn, but there were so many positive things about the hotel that outweighed any negative marks I've seen written about to date.

First of all, the setting is just beautiful. The grounds are extremely unique with the lush landscaping, ponds, wildlife, and so forth. Moreover, the main pool/jacuzzi area is equally beautiful and great fun to swim in for kids and adults alike.

While the bedroom we stayed in was a little dusty perhaps at first and had a torn screen door, it is hard to find such spacious rooms with such comfortable beds and linens anywhere. Moreover, any issues we asked housekeeping to attend to were promptly addressed. I also really liked how the rooms all had patios that went out to lovely gardens and ponds. It made for some very relaxing morning coffee sessions with my husband!

Finally, I found the staff most helpful. At times, the facility seemed a little understaffed, but we also visited at an off-peak time, so this wasn't a big problem. Once Thanksgiving week rolled around, I saw many more staff on site, so I'm sure it is a function of numbers of people checked into the hotel.

All in all, I highly recommend the resort and feel it should be highly rated for its uniqueness and character in particular. Any issues encountered while on site will be quickly addressed by the friendly and helpful staff.

4  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed November 18, 2004

My wife and I thought that the location and the landscaping of the resort were beautiful. We stayed in early November 2004. Everything in and around the resort seemed to be very well maintained. Our kids loved the main pool. Unfortunately, I have to agree with some of the other reviews regarding the guestrooms. The bungalow we stayed in had a run down look to it. One of the table lamps barely functioned. The sheets on the sofa bed were worn. One of the doors to the bathroom would not close because it was coming off its hinges. And, the walls had multiple scuff marks. The staff quickly fixed most of these issues. The wood was painted with a faux "distressed" motif. Unfortunately, most of the doors and cabinets were really distressed. On the plus side the bathroom area was very clean. It was a beautiful location, but not a very good value for the money. I was especially annoyed by the $16 a night vehicle fee they charged.

3  Thank spmclw
Reviewed November 17, 2004

I have stayed here on 3 seperate occasions. I have just read some of the reviews and dont understand the negative ones. I have always found this place to be beautiful, calm and very relaxing. The whole place is just like paradise. The rooms are very nice inside. This October when we stayed there was alot of children but that was only because there was a beauty pagent for young girls taking place. We hardly saw any children on our previous visits. I will keep coming here year after year as I love San Diego & the Paradise Point

• Stayed: October 2004
2  Thank FIONA
New York, NY
Reviewed November 17, 2004

Terrific Hotel; a must try when in San Diego. Weather was great and hotel was beautiful. Ate a Baleen and the filet was the best I ever had. Met the GM, Jeff and he really cared about the guests!