“I was the best vacation we've had in a long time.”

Paradise Point Resort & Spa
Ranked #141 of 279 Hotels in San Diego
GreenLeadersSilver level
san diego
“I was the best vacation we've had in a long time.”
Reviewed January 20, 2009

Not only was the weather perfect, but so was the resort. We stayed 3 nights and had a wonderful time. It's great for a romantic getaway or for family.

• Liked — The location
  • Disliked — Didn't stay long enough.
  • Stayed January 2009, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (959)
  • Polish first
Oakland, California
Reviewed December 17, 2008

Front desk aloof and slow, not responsive to needs. When asked a question over the phone, transferred 3 times to different people with same results - nothing! Took 4 calls and 3 hrs to get a crib when told at check in its on its way. Rooms are outdated, kitchen looks like its from the Yogi-bear era. Bathrooms with rot and grout. Carpet smells. And we had a dexluxe garden bungalow-whatever that means. Pool rarely stocked with fresh towels. Food is below average and the worst thing is the price they charge. Only nice thing to say is the grounds, but of alot of it is roadways, and taking walks can be a lesson in traffic avoidance. This one is way way overpriced, and really only worth it if the room is <150 a night.

• Liked — Resort like grounds.
  • Disliked — Really nothing.
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled with family

Travelers are raving about these San Diego hotels

Mesa AZ
Reviewed November 25, 2008

My stay at the hotel was OK, but not the luxury resort experience I expected from the website. This ended up being OK for me because I was there for an intense conference, and not paying for a "vacation resort experience". None the less, here are my comments: My check-in process was fine, although when I asked to have my reservation stating I was there with a conference, I was told that because I booked through a third party they could not put that in, but that I would get "everything that all conference attendees get". Not the case. They tried to charge me 10.00/day for internet use, and when I stated I was supposed to get free internet due to being a conference attendee, I was told this was not the case because I had booked through a third party (Orbitz). I had to go to the conference staff, and they did eventually get me free internet.
I had their basic "garden" room. My room was OK--I had some trouble sleeping due to the bright light outside my door (covered by a somewhat thin curtain). And noise carried very easily from adjacent rooms, so much so that I could hear other people's conversations. Bring earplugs.
The resort itself is pretty with several pools, and you can take a nice walk along the beach around the resort. At night I found the lighting to be poor in certain areas of the resort, which could be an issue for elderly.
The food we had for lunches at the conference was delicious. I ate most of my meals after conference hours at the Barefoot Bar and Grill, which had pretty decent food, although somewhat pricey and not a lot of healthy options.
I was able to use the fitness center for free (but like other people have said ,their usual charge is 12.00). The fitness center is actually halfway decent, with 4 treadmills, 2 ellipticals, and 2 stairmasters, along with freeweights and some weight machines. I really wonder how much they stick to their policy of charging 12.00 to use the fitness room because most days I just walked right in and no one asked me anything.
I did treat myself to an Indian Scalp massage and hand and foot massage at the Spa, which I had heard was good. I was somewhat disappointed--my massage was mediocre at best, and $150 for a total one hour mediocre treatment seemed to add salt to the wound. My massage therapist's name was Jesus, so I would try to book someone else if you go to the spa. The concierge in the hotel lobby was extremely helpful and friendly.
I think there is a place at the resort to rent kayaks and go in the bay, which looked like fun, but there is a separate fee for that, too.

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — nickled and dimed you for everything, mediocre pricey spa
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled on business
1 Thank AZgirl40
Linthicum Heights, Maryland
Reviewed November 12, 2008

Stayed for a couple of days at this fairly nice resort. The property was well kept. The ponds were green, but I don't know it that was on purpose or not. Rooms were nice. They had A/C that worked well. Enjoyed the Adult pool. Hated that the ice machines are in the pool areas which are locked up when they close. Had to call room service to get ice. The staff was courteous and professional. Food at the restaurants was a little pricey. We went to the IHOP in Pacific Beach instead.

• Liked — Beach is close
  • Disliked — minor inconveniences
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled as a couple
Phoenix
Reviewed October 30, 2008

My wife and I wanted a nice private resort style get away on the coast in SanDiego, and we got a nightmare. First of all a $22 per night parking Fee?They couldnt just raise their rates to include the parking fee? Well no they couldnt for a few reasons.

First of all the room we stayed in was shabby, carpet was dirty, the layout was odd, we had to shut the tv hutch just to get to the bathroom. The first night I take a shower, after five minutes im up to my ankles in backed up water, "gross" so I cut my shower short. Later I flush the toilet and the toilet overflows slightly and we use our dry towels to sop up the water, we call the front desk and they send someone out to snake the line, but dont send any new towels for us. I have to go to the adjacent pool and snag towels from there so we have clean towels.

The next day the toilet didnt overflow but just about did and we didnt dare take showers. We told the front desk and they said they will have facilitys look at it, we came back later that day and still not fixed, still backed up. We decided to checkout and find another place. When we checked out we explained how poor the service was, and they just said "we hope you have a better stay next time", I said "never ever again".

This is the second worst Hotel experience ive ever had.

• Liked — The grounds
  • Disliked — Poor service, lack luster rooms/ dirty, poor room ergonomics.
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Travis74
Charleston WV
Reviewed October 27, 2008

Don't expect to use your cell phone or have wi-fi access. Very sketchy cell phone service on the property, I have AT&T wireless and did not have access in my room. I had to wonder around outside of my room to find a signal. Also, no wi-fi access except in the lobby of the hotel. Didn't like the $12 charge just to walk on the treadmill in the spa. Indicated that I did not want to use any of the other spa services, but still $12.00 charge every day to use gym equipment....added onto the $15.00 per day charge to park your car. This was surprising as parking was available everywhere on the premises. Resturant staff was friendly and service was good.

• Liked — Great places to run if you are a runner
  • Disliked — Parking and fitness equipment fees
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled on business
Oregon
Reviewed October 23, 2008

We stayed at this resort for a total of 4 nights. We were in an "executive suite" and initially were excited by the prospects of a nice room. The grounds were nice inasmuch as they had mature landscape (albeit a LOT of asphalt). We were a bit suspicious when the bellhop that drove us in a golfcart to the suite simply said that we were in a "big room." Right he was. Their executive suites, as it turns out, double as meeting rooms. You first walk into a big meeting room - with a collapsable wall that separates another "executive suite." In that room, there is a small dingy couch about 20 feet from a really small tv, a very small table and a couple of chairs. Clearly they aim for ease in moving the furniture out when there is a meeting held there. A big closet is filled with tables and chairs, which is weird at best. The kitchenette would be fine enough for a meeting...but not for using on a personal level. In the back is a very dark, small bedroom (two small windows out to bushes left it 100% dark) and a nondescript bathroom. Toiletries are a mishmash of cheap products --- no lotion, no showercap, conditioner was hit or miss depending on if the housekeeper had some in her cart---really unimpressive. My husband summed it up when he said that when you leave the small bedroom, it feels like you walk into your garage. There was a sliding door from the meeting room out ---- but no furniture sitting outside of our room. (though the other executive suites appeared had some). Did I mention it all feels a bit dirty?

Our room was enough to keep us from ever returning. But when you couple in the various ways that they try to scrounge more money from you at every turn (from parking fees when the entire resort is one big parking lot -- to healthclub fees for a room that has 2 bicycles and a few other machines), I felt compelled to write a review that would hopefully inspire the owners to give more consideration to their guests, and less to their pocketbook.

• Liked — Lounge chairs happened to be comfortable at the pools
  • Disliked — Just about everything else.
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled on business