“Beautiful Property, rooms were clean but a little old”

Paradise Point Resort & Spa
Ranked #152 of 278 Hotels in San Diego
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed July 27, 2014

I stayed here as a kid way back when it was the Princess resort and I remember loving it. 20 some years later I actually live in SD but my family stayed here for a weekend in May for my law school graduation. Even though I live twenty minutes from this resort, it felt like I was on my own vacation when I was here! The property is huge and is gorgeous on the bay. We went standup paddle boarding and rented a surrey (the multi-person bikes) which was a lot of fun. I thought the pools were nice, but the jacuzzis seem to work off and on, not sure what's up with that.

The rooms my family had were clean, for what it's worth (I see that some of the comments did not have that experience). You can definitely tell the buildings themselves are old, but the inside was updated and nice. My family really enjoyed their stay.

We also had a private dinner party at the restaurant Tidal and it was great - the staff was phenomenal and food was delicious. They really made the special occasion extra great.

As far as the actual location, for those of you that don't live in San Diego like myself haha, the best course of action would be to rent a car. This location is great but you need a car to get almost anywhere if you want to sight see. It's close enough to Sea World to take a cab that wouldn't cost an arm and a leg, but if you want to go most places around the rest of the city a car is necessary.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank Erin C

Reviewed July 26, 2014

Astonishing location next to sea world on an island in a bay but room equipment has seen best days a while ago.
Friendly staff except some of the receptionists.
We booked a room for 250$ a night for 3 nights. First try of the receptionist ( who was at the same time the ' yoga instructor ' ) was to upgrade us from second beach lane to first, "because we checked in early". Same room size.
Only after we asked for the price he came up with " you can have that for only additional 250$ a night." Who wants an upgrade for double the price. I call this rip off.
Parking place in front of the Bungalow for 32$ a Night.. another rip off. As family with 4 persons the terrace has only 2 chairs. I asked friendly to have 2 additional but they were not willing to help and said that 2 could sit on a free towel. Unacceptable but the right way if a hotel wants to avoid getting the same customers twice.. I could now need some yoga meditation myself but better somewhere else.

• Stayed: July 2014
1  Thank Daniel S
Reviewed July 26, 2014

The sand is literally feet away from your back door. I parked on a Friday, and didn't move my car until we left on Sunday. Restaurants on the premises, a small shop for anything you forgot...no need to leave! Super kid friendly, mine brought their scooters and scooted around the whole island. Can't wait to visit again!

• Stayed: April 2014
ParadisePointGM, General Manager at Paradise Point Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded July 29, 2014

Tparker77, thank you for the five-star review on TripAdvisor! We’re delighted to hear about your time at Paradise Point Resort & Spa in April and pleased that you enjoyed our waterfront accommodations, six dining options, five pools, Island Market, and family-friendly activities. We look forward to being your relaxing escape for many years to come.

Best,
David Hall

Reviewed July 26, 2014

A friend and I stayed here while fishing for 3 days. The rate we paid was actually a lot higher than the rate paid through the on line booking service we used. There is a resort fee of about $35 per night which is supposed to cover some of this facilities' attractions. Then there was another surprise when checking in, an added parking fee of about the same amount. That's around $70 night in fees over the advertised rate.
All of that wouldn't be too bad, but the place is in disparate need of repair and upkeep. $300/night room, plus the fees for a barely 2 star interior condition.
We will never consider this property again. By the way, the Barefoot bar and grille's food was mediocre and costly for what we got, 3-strikes, their out!

Room Tip: Go somewhere else.
  • Stayed: July 2014, traveled with friends
3  Thank JGRFresno_Ca

JGRFresno, we appreciate the review on your recent stay and are disappointed you were not satisfied with several aspects of our hotel, which has received the Four Diamond rating from AAA for our superior customer service and product. We regret hearing that the third-party site you booked through was not up front about the Passport to Paradise or parking costs. We ensure that customers who book directly through the hotel are made aware of these fees at various points along the reservation and stay timeline, and the Passport to Paradise is automatically included in the room. We hope you’ll reconsider staying at our property again, as its central San Diego location and island setting are unbeatable.

Best,
David Hall

Reviewed July 25, 2014

We had two adjacent waterfront bungalows. On plus side, gorgeous views to look at each day, plus pools were great. Negative side: not very private with people walking right past door, another family used fire pit all night right outside door, extra fees on top of expensive rooms, outside chair removed by another guest and never replaced despite two calls, very loud and rowdy young adults yelling out in their inebriated state one night. Not much to choose from for restaurants: Baleen was very good but very pricey, and Barefoot Bay had terrible food. I would spend my $$$$ elsewhere next time.

Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank Diane S
Reviewed July 24, 2014 via mobile

Overall the resort is very run down,rotting wood,peeling paint,spider webs and grounds are littered with trash. We could not wait to get home. Overpriced for what you get. Pools dirty and light comes into room. Jackhammering at 8am outside our room. Very disappointed was supposed to be a fun family vacation. Don't waste your $$$.

• Stayed: July 2014
2  Thank Familytrips535
Reviewed July 23, 2014

I love trip advisor because we the travelling guest get to share so many hidden elements for fellow travelers to know about ahead of time and to also give to the GM and exec team i.e. hospitality leadership provider something concrete to review and improve on.

Traveler beware: Paradise Lost is you ask me and here's why:

Last week I received a post stay request to complete an evaluation. Receive a same day email graphic ( copy attached ) confirming that there would be a prompt reply follow up from the hotel - a week later and no prompt reply.

1. Past guest Toilet floor Pubic hair
2. $ 35 + $ 24 in hidden extra fees
3. Aging property
4. Faulty 5am wakeup call missed (known hotel problem)
5. Staff heard to use the F Bomb . . . family resort
6. Room # 250 walk caving in behind desk area!
7. Self-Parking At $ 34.00 a night – No Valet option

1. Past guest Toilet floor Pubic hair
One side of the toilet sporting some past guest’s pubic hair and the other side offers a rusting securing nut where the cover was long lost. Housekeeper Director was invited to see firsthand and witness the reality of this oversight and accept as a learning opportunity.

2. $ 35 + $ 24 in hidden extra fees
You will find them out upon check in

3. Aging property
Old Rooms - What we have here is late 60’s cheap cinder block wall construction with an interior of old style looking plaster that has been painted over many times. Massively overdue for a reno pls check out the doors and you will find many
dents and scratches. My first 700 room block (sounds like a prison) offers a split ripped box spring fabric mattress that has clearly been repaired and is coming undone. The outside pond is full of grass material and what looks to
be soapy water. The door locks on the back door are ancient and you require a security bar to securely lock the door.

4. Faulty 5am wakeup call missed (known hotel problem)
Wake Up calls at this hotel have been proven to be completely unreliable if using their offered self program option offered on your hotel room. Everywhere I stay else this is a trusted
option. This ‘Paradise Resort’ system confirms your request and then proceeds to not call you. My 5am wakeup call that I optioned through their phone system in my room
never worked – this was after a recorded voice confirmed the time call back. After relying on my back up alarm I thankfully got up at 5am.

5. Staff heard to use the F Bomb . . . family resort
After getting the keys for my replacement room as I walk out to the small auto-port area from their lobby front desk I hear the F Bomb and voices of young men. I assume they must be guests. Instead it two uniformed male staff standing by a golf cart idly leaning with their hands in their pockets. This is totally not cool as this is very much a family resort.

6. Room # 250 walk caving in behind desk area!
For some reason the desk in this room was bolted into the wall. The bolts are rusty and broken and the wall and plaster are literally decaying and falling to pieces. Interesting to note that this room has no electrical outlets for guests to recharge laptops and smart phones. Not one . . . . I ordered one delivered to the room where it was left unopened on the desk for me to get on my hands and knees to install underneath the desk - awesome service!

7. Self-Parking At $ 34.00 a night – No Valet option
A blatant hidden money grab situation. This hotel is leveraging it’s parking availability monopoly to it’s price elevated extreme disadvantage.

8. Quiet Room Request ‘Overlooked’
Finer hotels respond to clients proactive requests for room types by pre blocking rooms and even remembering customer likes and dislikes by using a CRM program. Not this place. A request for a quiet room was confirmed yet the 700 block room allocated is located right next to a swimming pool. I sleep light, need to wake at 5am and want to enjoy an afternoon nap as many visitors like to do. So
being next to a swimming pool is clearly not a quiet room. The duty manager initially minimizes the situation and only later apologizes after I share I am rated 8th on Trip Advisor in my region with 230 reviews

What if you are a traveller needing to fly home internationally and this ridiculous situation causes you to not only miss a flight but also pay for new ones?! Worse the hotel actually knows about this problem and does nothing! Proof, when I called in at 5:10am the operator apologies advising that this auto self-program feature is not reliable. So what you have here is a hotel management that thinks it’s OK to leave such a self-program wake up call system active knowing I repeat knowing that it is not working properly! If it fails then expect no more than a bland ‘sorry about that’ from what I found to be unempowered front line staff.

If you book here I suggest you do through some sort of Expedia special to offset the exorbitant hidden self-parking charge. The layout of one level rooms is thoroughly confusing. You are close to the airport and therefore hear jets arriving a lot. There is also a bar across the water that plays badly performed Jimmy Buffet music until at least 10pm.

Now you know . . . have an awesome vacation and visit to San Diego.

Room Tip: request rooms away from their swimming pools and know that they are 6 GPS minutes from the airport s...
  • Stayed: July 2014, traveled on business