“"TRUMPED"”

Paradise Point Resort & Spa
Ranked #150 of 278 Hotels in San Diego
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed January 7, 2014

So great of care we thought we might of been mistakened for one of the TRump"s family members especialy since our last name is alike! The food was delicious, the cheif greeted us and the patio was heated and had a beautiful view!

Room Tip: get a room cottage by the Falls!
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
ParadisePointGM, General Manager at Paradise Point Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded January 16, 2014

Ronald, thank you for the kind comments regarding your dining experience; we will be sure to share them with Chef and the entire restaurant team! We’re delighted we were able to wow you with exceptional customer service during your stay at Paradise Point Resort & Spa, and look forward to providing you with more of our signature hospitality on your next visit.

There are newer reviews for Paradise Point Resort & Spa

Reviewed January 4, 2014

There was something very Mad Men and dated about the bungalows through the property, but it really was a lovely place to stay. The room was large, had a good size bathroom, and a new bed. Floor rugs would have been a nice addition. The property is right on the water and there are multiple pools. I had a fantastic massage at the spa which was only $90 as a conference participant. Be sure to rent a car because the restaurants are only so so and the cab ride to La Jolla was $70 roundtrip.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank revdebra
Reviewed January 2, 2014

We stayed here for 4 nights inc New Years Eve. If you are expecting a traditional hotel, it's not. It's set out like a holiday village around beautiful gardens. Imagine a Thai hotel or tropical destination with lodges arranged around a central reception and pool and you have it. But before I go into detail bear in mind (AND THIS IS IMPORTANT!). We spent £176 a night on a Junior Garden Suite. Nice big room but dated and a bit tired especially in the bathroom. Decor generally a bit tired and showing signs of it. But it's fine. Whether it's £176 a night quality is another debate.

However, my biggest disappointment is the hidden charges of $24 a day for this Paradise Passport which is really no more than internet access and access to the pools! If you want to play tennis then that's included. But if you want to rent a tandem bike then that's $25 an hour. That to me is rich. Also another $34 a night to park your car outside the £176 a night room was another blinder. So that's $58 a night (£35) on top of your £176 a night = £211 a night.

We also had an erroneous $51 shipping charge to our room which we never had. They removed it but left it on as a Balance to Pay until they investigated it which is fine but my main point is that you need to ask for a breakdown of the bill before you check out. It was not obviously offered to me.

The Barefoot Grille food and bar is fine. Service good, food fine. There is also a great boat taxi to Seaworld that I would recommend which leaves at 9.45 and back at 5pm.

All in all, a beautiful resort, little tired at the edges but an overall beautiful location. Big issue is beware of the additional charges. I don't think is openly advertised and once you're checked in, you're committed to it. As a £200+ a night hotel, is it worth it? In essence, no

Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
10  Thank UK_Plains_Drifter
Reviewed January 2, 2014

The best part of the property is the location. Location make the stay worth the expense. The property is older and as well maintained as one could expect. Stay in a bayside jr suite and enjoyed the view and the fact that weren't in an interior bungalow. If you go pop for the best room you can afford. The staf was helpful. Bring your own coffee for the am. Coffee service is expensive ( nice server) and the in room coffee is not what i wanted. The staff at the dock is helpful, take a paddle board out and enjoy the bay.

Room Tip: stay bayside if you can
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Dave_in_Clio
ParadisePointGM, General Manager at Paradise Point Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded January 9, 2014

Dave, thank you for the detailed review of Paradise Point. As you noted, our private island in Mission Bay offers a unique location and experience to our guests. We’re delighted you took advantage of our private marina and toured the bay via stand-up paddleboard. For a different perspective during your next visit, we recommend exploring the area via bike along the shoreline, which has 27 miles of coastal paths. We look forward to seeing you then!

Reviewed January 2, 2014

I stayed there with my family for 4 days and 3 nights. It was a very enjoyable trip. The resort it self was nice but the rooms we stayed in needed updating. It was very obvious that they have done several remodels on the rooms and it was almost time for them to be torn down and rebuilt. Overall the stay was good. I would recommend it especially if you are going to Sea World.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank sokerdelic
Reviewed January 2, 2014 via mobile

We organised the honeymoon of our dreams via a friend who is based in a well known Travel Agent. The trip would take us through 6 stops via Vegas, San Fran, Monterey, Santa Barbara, LA and finally San Diego through a mix of flights and car journey each ending up with us checking into a total of 6 hotels.

Upon arrival at each check-in we were pleasantly surprised to learn that our Travel Agent back in Dublin, Ireland had taken the time out to send each hotel an individual email to each hotel to advise them that we were long haul visitors on Honeymoon. With each hotel check-in we were very warmly greeted by each hotel reception and offered a complimentary room upgrade or meal or champagne without even mentioning we were on Honeymoon. It was the trip of a lifetime and the Travel Agent / Hotels along the way re confirmed this with their warm ness & excellent service.

With 5 out of 6 hotels visited our final leg was San Diego to recharge for 3 nights in Paradise Point Spa resort... Unfortunately for us the standard of service and facilities which we had enjoyed with the 5 hotels to this point would drop drastically....

We arrived in Paradise Point (PP) after a 2 hour car journey and parked the car outside reception, usually at which point a Concierge would greet you and take your bags and direct you to reception - Not here! So we wandered into reception to check into our final hotel. It was so quiet it had a deserted feel but it was off season so we assumed reception would welcome some interaction... The check in was akin to being processed into a County jail.. The guy didn't welcome us, didn't make eye contact and provided swift short instructions such as "I need your credit card and passport" without taking his eye off the monitor... The frosty reception created an immediate awkward atmosphere as we awkwardly watched him type intensely without making a word of conversation. We wondered was he choosing to ignore the "Honeymoon" message that the preceding 5 hotels had obviously received...if he did nothing was acknowledged. We politely asked about the concierge and we were assertively advised that we park our own car at the space provided... He then handed us our card and a map to our chalet... We had a bad feeling from this check in already. I noted his name as I anticipated a complaint was on the cards but it was spelt differently to how he spelt it on his knuckle tattoo...he offered no basic service or even social skills or manners and as I wandered back to the car I wondered who put a guy like him on the front line within the "hospitality" industry...

Having driven around the resort for c. 10 minutes trying to locate our chalet I had a bad feeling that the standard of facility would match its service! We entered our chalet and our hearts dropped. Stale of our in the air it was old and very basic. It reminded us of a Butlins / Mosney holiday chalet from the 1970's era.

I could see the disappointment in my wife's face and I tried to talk her round but there was no hiding this... It was our final stop to recharge for 3 nights before we head back to Europe and it was the pits.

In desperation I rang Concierge and explained that we were newlyweds on the last leg of our Honeymoon and we were really disappointed with the room... In fairness they were quite pleasant and apologized and advised that they would resolve with reception.

As I drive back to reception my disappointment turned to annoyance as it was very obvious that the resort was at most 50% occupied so why would our Helpful Friend at reception check us into such a basic room and choose to ignore the Honeymoon message when clearly there were bigger brighter rooms laying idle / unoccupied??

He then offered a shallow apology and a room with a "Sea View" which I took and again after much driving around in circles to locate it eventually found it to realise that it didn't have a sea room, it had twin Queen beds and while slightly bigger still had that stale odour about it, the shower/bathroom was like time travel to a scene from the hit show "Madmen"

We were tired and defeated we decided to just unpack and stay there that night. The following morning my newly wedded wife suggested that we browse for early flights home... I was gutted as I knew she was really unhappy after such an amazing trip to end up in a room like this..

I tried one more time with the Concierge to complain and he said he would upgrade us to a Jnr Suite. He also asked us to ensure we gave them a good review on Trip Advisor as a result of this goodwill!!! We moved for a 3rd time. Compared to the other 2 rooms it was an improvement in terms of size. But it was still grim... It didn't have a clean fresh feel to it. I had to sit my wife down and explain to her that we would be taking tours and restaurants so we wouldn't be spending much time here!! It was also very obvious that these Suites were empty the previous night which again left me scratching my head as to why they couldn't have imparted some goodwill to a honeymoon couple upon check in Or in the follow up complaint? As the resort was obviously half occupied due to the season..

For example we returned to our "Suite" that evening to find the room about 50% serviced. It was like the service staff left in a hurry, even their cleaning spray was left on our sink beside our our toothbrushes which confirmed to us that they had in fact been there!! As I waited to take a shower I made the mistake of walking around the "Suite" barefoot as my feet were literally black with dirt, evidently they don't mop the floors too often and you get the feeling the cleaners do the bare minimum. Maybe they're understaffed but it was poor...

We spent most of our time in San Diego out and about as a result. One evening we went back to the reception to make some enquiries and we asked could they order us a cab. The receptionist, female this time pointed towards the Valet desk outside and said we would get one there... There was no one at Valet which meant we stood outside in a chilly November evening for 10+ minutes waiting on a Valet guy to arrive back all the while glumly staring back into the deserted reception desk at the 2 receptionists intensely typing into their monitors wondering why the hell she couldn't just pick up her phone and order us a cab when it was obvious there was no valet there and we were standing in the cold evening like idiots staring back at her in the empty reception.. From our dealings with reception they came across as arrogant and you always got the feeling you were interrupting them despite it being so quiet. For people so young it was unusual for people to come across so arrogantly and to be so unhelpful.

We were due to checkout at 2:30am on our final "day" to catch a flight and couldn't face dealing with reception again to check out as they had ruined our moods in all of our dealings with them, we therefore opted for a phone check-out. Upon reading the brochures on the evening before check out we realised that we were being charged car parking on a nightly rate plus we were being charged some Paradise Point package at a daily rate of $20+ which included WiFi, basketball and tennis courts to name but a few!! All of these it seemed were compulsory add-on charges which the helpful receptionists didn't think important enough to mention to us at check in... It was probably beneath him to get into such detail...

I anticipated that Paradise Point would no doubt charge me for a full days parking and package fee for my 3rd days stay.... Yes we were leaving @ 2:30am and were hit with a full days parking fee and Wifi. The most expensive 2.5 hours of parking/internet ill ever encounter!!

As we pulled out we were relieved to be returning to Dublin and I had to remind my new Wife to think about all of the other hotels and amazing service we received and quality of the rooms and friendliness... To keep things positive I said 5/6 ain't bad and law of averages etc...

But now I've had time to reflect I know that this is far from acceptable... Paradise Point does not live up to what it advertises on its website and as a result tarnished what was a once in a lifetime honeymoon as a result. To rub salt further into our wounds they sent an email kindly requesting us to complete an online survey about our stay and asked for honest feedback in open font boxes which I duly did. I provided a lot of detailed feedback and criticism but also in a constructive manner which took up over an hour of my time and I received Zilch response from Management. Nada, absolutely nothing back!!

In my feedback I challenged the management about the receptionist staff and enquiries whether it was an individual recruitment issue, a training issue or whether it simply reflected the culture of the whole resort. The Zero response from Management answers that question for me... Yes the arrogance and substandard attention to service does come from the Management down...

I've fed back the whole experience back to my travel agent and urged them never to send honeymooners back to this resort again!! It was akin to a posh camping trip where the 12 year old me would have loved... Yes those Mosney / Butlins holidays are forever find childhood memories which unfortunately spilled into my Honeymoon....

Equally I will be submitting Positive reviews back to the other 5 hotels who made our Honeymoon experience fantastic up to this point!

Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
16  Thank BusinessTraveller79

BusinessTraveller79, thank you for taking the time to fill out both the email survey and a TripAdvisor review. Rest assured that all feedback submitted is reviewed by our management team in an effort to identify strengths and improve weaknesses. Upon reading your review, we hope you will accept our sincere apology for the overall dissatisfaction you and your new wife experienced during your honeymoon stay. We aim to deliver Four Diamond-rated accommodations and service to all our guests, and especially to those celebrating such important occasions. It is with deep regret we acknowledge this was not the case during your visit. We would welcome the opportunity to discuss the details of your stay further. Please reach out to Andrew Cooper, Director of Rooms at acooper@destinationhotels.com at your convenience.

Reviewed December 31, 2013

In this hotel you will stay in bungalows that allow you to hear just about everything that is going on outside. There were countless nights that I could hear partying outside and it was distracting for me to sleep.

The rooms are very basic to me. Nothing to write home about, old dated air conditioning system which didn't work properly, but it was a good size for a room, but leaves a little more to the imagination. Locating your room is a hit or miss so request for one that is closer to the main lobby. I had to drive through swirls and confusing signs before I could locate mine. You'll also have assigned parking spaces near your bungalow.

Service was okay. I had forgotten my toothpaste and asked Front Desk if they had any, they ran out and directed me to their store instead and told me to hurry as there was 3 more minutes before it closed. I ran across and sure enough, it closed right on the clock. I knocked on the door and the cashier yelled at me that the was closed! I'm not exaggerating, she yelled. She refused to open the door for me and redirected me to Front Desk. I finally had to tell her that Front Desk directed me over just now and I ran across. After that, she decided to reopen very quickly, but she appeared disgruntled the whole time. While I appreciated the fact she reopened to me, I didn't appreciate being yelled at especially after I was directed by her own colleagues to seek her.

Location wise, this isn't a convenient spot for San Diego, unless your only destination is SeaWorld and the beach, but if you're planning to stay in San Diego longer and want to visit other areas, I suggest a more centralized hotel in Mission Valley or even downtown for the convenience factor.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business
4  Thank halo8

Halo8, your detailed feedback is greatly appreciated. It sounds as if our hotel missed the mark in a couple areas, and for that we apologize. We particularly regret the experience you had while trying to track down a toothbrush. Rest assured the service you received is not an accurate reflection of the helpful, friendly hospitality we provide to guests. We will circle back with the Front Desk to ensure they are notifying other departments when they direct guests to an outlet. Again, thank you for your feedback so that we can make improvements in these areas.