“Fantasy Island”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Pasadena, California
“Fantasy Island”
Reviewed December 25, 2013

I wanted to pretend I was in Hawaii for Christmas, so I booked this hotel, but what I got instead was Fantasy Island; all that was missing was Tattoo calling out, "The plane, the plane!"

The resort is nice, but dated. Yes, as others have said, there is a musty smell when you enter your room; I think it comes from the age of the buildings along with the dampness of the showers. Ventilation in the room could have been better. We had the standard king room with a sofa bed, and the room was good sized. Fridge in the room.The sink was separate from the toilet and shower.The enamel in our shower was cracked as was the marble on the coffee table. Paint on the walls by the shower was starting to blister, or already had blistered and then been painted over. Room was clean. Some reviewers have complained about there being no carpet in the rooms, but I thought that was good, because you track sand inside the room, and not having carpet is good for those traveling with dogs, which are allowed.

This resort is good for families, because there is lots to do for kids, and kids can't tell the difference between an old resort and a new resort. The pools are heated; I was told to 82 degrees, though they seemed a bit colder than that. But, the kids still swam in December. There are hot tubs too. The main pool area is the nicest; the other pools are just typical swimming pools, nothing special. There are fire pits at a couple of the pools, which are fun to make smores at after dinner. There are also fire pits along the bay.

Tennis courts were nice. They have ping pong, bocce, and croquet. Fun to walk along the bay and collect shells. For a fee there are bikes, kayaks, and stand up paddle boards to rent.

Because it was Christmas Eve they had free cookies and cocoa.

For dinner we ate at Baleen, which was pricey, but tasty. We had salmon and the steak, enjoyed both. Kids' meal of grilled chicken, mashed potatoes, and broccoli was a good sized portion. Dinner for 1 adult and 4 kids was almost $100.

For breakfast we ate at the Barefoot Bar and Grill; we had chocolate chip pancakes, eggs, bacon, toast, 2 kids' smoothies, one juice, and one milk. Cost was $60, which is on the high side, but if you sit outside at least you can enjoy the bay and the boats. There is a salt water lagoon right near the restaurant at the marina with some interesting fish and small sharks.

There is a spa and a fitness center; I did not use those.

Location is close to Sea World; they have a water taxi for a fee to Sea World.

Parking at the resort is $34, which I found to be quite high.

I would recommend this hotel for a one-two night stay.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank James L

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (981)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
San Diego, California
Reviewed December 25, 2013

We recently stayed at the Paradise Point for a wedding and came back 3 weeks later for our daughters birthday. The grounds are gorgeous and we were able to bonfire on the bay and make smores with the family. The kids had a blast as did the parents;)

Rob Reeder, who is the manager, went above and beyond to make sure our stay was more than pleasant. This is the first review I have ever written due to perfect customer service! Thank you Rob, we will be back.

Room Tip: Bayside bungalows are gorgeous and open up to the sand, If you have kids this is the perfect room-
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank Popps1234
ParadisePointGM, General Manager at Paradise Point Resort & Spa, responded to this review, January 6, 2014
Popps1234, thank you for the stellar review of Paradise Point. It was our pleasure to have you as our guest for two distinct celebrations within a few short weeks. As you mentioned, our lush grounds offer plenty of activities for all to enjoy, like making s’mores in the surrounding bonfire pits. We’re glad to hear our staff went above and beyond to accommodate you during your stay, and we will gladly pass the compliments on to Rob and the rest of the team. We look forward having you here for another San Diego staycation in the near future.

David Hall, General Manager
New York City, New York
Reviewed December 15, 2013

Room cost/night: for over $300 one would think the room shouldn't smell musty; should have been cleaner; the Adirondack chairs outside our room wiped clean & not filthy, rendering them unusable. We were overcharged $54 with no bill breakdown explanation (charge removed after our protest). Will never stay there nor recommend this place.

Room Tip: Ask to see rooms before booking.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
8 Thank Leja160
ParadisePointGM, General Manager at Paradise Point Resort & Spa, responded to this review, December 19, 2013
Leja160, we appreciate the review from your November visit. Please accept our sincere apology for the overall dissatisfaction you experienced during your stay. We strive to provide our guests with a superior experience for price paid, and we regret you felt you did not receive that value. We hope that despite the issues you experienced with your room and bill, you enjoyed the remainder of your time at our hotel and will reconsider staying with us again in the future.

Travelers are raving about these San Diego hotels

Raleigh, North Carolina
Reviewed December 13, 2013

My stay was 11/15/13 I am just getting the time to write this review. I never do stuff like this , but after the experience I received at Paradise Point I had to let sombody know lol. First we arived at 3:30 in the morning to the most perkest hostest ever . Our reservation had not arrived yet(booked through 3rd party vendor) not only did(Danielle i think was her name) she match our online price but let us check in as well. The weather was not the best that day so all the marinas were closed on the island. Had a breif talk with the manager (i cant recall his name but it began with a J) made a few calls and had the marina open up JUST FOR US!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Imagine having the bay all to yourself. It was perfect. The room service was great as well as the food. Close to fashion mall as well.BEST 24 HOURS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! THE STAFF WAS AMAZING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Delicia D and Anita L North Carolina

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Positive2240, thank you for writing a review of Paradise Point. We’re delighted to hear that our friendly staff was able to go above and beyond during your stay. It’s wonderful you were able to get out on Mission Bay despite the uncharacteristic weather, and we hope you’ll come back to the area soon so you have the chance to fully explore our tropical island and San Diego.

Atlanta
Reviewed December 11, 2013

This is a late review, but I wanted to share this outstanding experience. My wife and I stayed in January of this year for 4 nights and thoroughly enjoyed the resort. Although the weather was unusually dreary the suite combined with the fantastic view of the harbor made this trip unforgettable.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank travlinskeptic
Highland, California
Reviewed December 7, 2013

I had two bungalows. The heating system in one of the bedrooms did not heat at all; it only blew cold air. In the living room of one of the bungalows there was a fabric softener in the heating system, I'm assuming to "freshen" the air as it blew out. Additionally, the grill of the system was broken and was noisy. The pull out beds were HORRIBLE, and the couches themselves were filthy. I did my best to avoid sitting on them because they are stained and dirty. The coffee table had not been cleaned for sometime. I could see the outline of liquid and food stains that from where others set their items done during their stay. The shower/tub floors were dirty as were the blackout drapes which were also holey; because the tub floors were dirty my son put a towel on the floor and stood on it while he showered, and I followed with the same tactic. Furthermore the lighting was pathetic. Also, when I arrived I could not see the number for my parking slot because the painting on the ground was faded. My family were there for my son's soccer tournament and because I had business/work on Monday. I started looking for another hotel the next day, but the hotels in La Jolla that I knew that could produce a quality atmosphere and room didn't have availability, otherwise I would have checked out sooner like his teammate's family did. I was almost ready to stay at the Hilton in LaJolla, when I decided to move downtown even though it was farther from our events. The second hotel (US Grant) was far superior and met every need we had-cleanliness, awesome valet service, comfy beds, clean floors and showers/tubs, extraordinaire front desk staff, and excellent food service. I understand the rooms at Paradise Lost Resort & Spa are older, but they don't have to lack esteem. Upon check-out they tried to slide in extra taxes, when I questioned the person about the extra taxes she clearly didn't know what she was talking about and told me that those taxes came from having the passport (which is not optional). Later during the conversation before I actually paid the bill I came back around to the charges and she finally said she'd speak with her manager. Her manager told her that I had been charged twice so the charges needed to be removed. Prior to staying here I read the reviews and thought I was going to be in for a treat and I did receive three treats... three spiders one of which was a black widow. Stay there if you want, but honestly, I've stayed in hotels and resorts throughout this country and paid less for far superior service. I'd birth triplets before I stayed at this "resort" again.

Room Tip: We stayed in two of the Bungalows. They were both ratchet.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
5 Thank l h
ParadisePointGM, General Manager at Paradise Point Resort & Spa, responded to this review, December 10, 2013
Thank you for bringing the shortcomings of your stay to our attention. It is disheartening to hear about the issues you encountered with our accommodations and front desk staff; our sincere apologies for the inconvenience and disappointment you experienced as a result. Your comments are greatly appreciated and have been shared with the appropriate departments in an effort to make improvements in the respective areas. We hope you were still able to enjoy the remainder of your time in San Diego and that you’ll consider giving our resort a second chance the next time you are planning a visit to the area.

Reviewed December 5, 2013

I HIGHLY recommend this hotel! I had such a great experience with the spa services and can't wait to return. This hidden gem gives you the feel that your secluded on an exotic island while being pampered!

• Stayed December 2013