“A Beautiful Place”

Paradise Point Resort & Spa
Ranked #144 of 286 Hotels in San Diego
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed July 22, 2008

After reading so many negative reviews of this place I just thought I would give my opinion. We just finished a two night stay at Paradise Point. It was my husband, our 14 yo daughter and me.

First of all, we stayed in a Junior suite. This is a little pricier than a standard room but it is a larger room with a sitting area, a tiny kitchette area and a very nice bathroom arrangement.

When I originally booked in early March the Jr Suite were pretty expensive so I decided to settle for the standard room. However I kept checking prices and the suites came down in price so I changed my reservation to the Junior Suite.

The main reason I love Paradise Point is because our room backed up on to a lovely shaded green belt. We had a small patio with chairs. There was a pond near us and every morning I would drink my coffee, read the paper and sit on the patio while ducks would meander by. I just found it peaceful, tranquil, lovely and exactly what I look for in a vacation rest.

I will agree that the rooms aren't 5-star quality. But this is a very old place and what the rooms are, is clean and comfortable. They are freshly painted and the decor is 'shabby chic' or maybe they are just shabby (?) but I really had no complaints. The room was clean, the bathroom was very nice with double sinks and granite countertops. The bed was comfortable and I slept wonderfully. My only real complaint was there were no instructions with the coffee maker. The first day I didn' use nearly enough water. The second day I figured it makes about 6-8 cups. I probably could have called to find out.

We played the 18 hole putting green, ate at the Barefoot Grill and my husband and daughter rented a jet-ski and jet-skied around Mission Bay. We all relaxed a lot and in a very beautiful setting.

I am a person who reads hotel reviews religiously, am very picky about where I stay and really thought twice about Paradise Point based on some of the reviews.

But I think it comes down to what you really want. I've had San Diego vacations where we've stayed Downtown in a high-rise with all the moden conveniences and walked the Gaslamp up and back and took in a baseball game. Tons of fun.

And I had this vacation where I sat on a patio, fed the ducks, did the daily crossword, enjoyed an absolutely beautiful parklike setting and just relaxed.

Both were great vacations and both cost about the same. San Diego isn't cheap for any quality hotel but for what Paradise Point is, it is unique and we will definitely go back.

We had a wonderful time.

1  Thank YLMom
Write a ReviewReviews (5,900)

Reviewed July 18, 2008

Well this was our return trip, we stayed at this hotel last year and enjoyed it so much we couldn't think of staying anywhere else. The cost is more expensive then an inland hotel, but it was the best place for us because of the young children that were traveling with us. We stayed in the bungalow again and were first put into a room that had little sand and mostly rock with a dangerous incline. My daughter is 4 yrs old and the other child with us was 6 yrs. so when i contacted the front desk and explained my situation they gladly switched my rooms. I was afraid they wouldn't be able to because we stayed during the 4th of July weekend and it was full, but they accomodated me and i wish i could remember that girl's name because she was very helpful upon check in and when i changed out the room! I probably won't do a 4th of July weekend again because there were too many people on the beaches during that weekend and Sea World was crazier than it usually is. It took us over an hour to enter Sea World because we went on the 4th! With the exception of one family who wouldn't allow us to share the firepit on the beach, we had excellent neighbors. Our kids played with each other and we all sat on the beach and talked and relaxed! This is the perfect hotel because the bungalows sit right on the bay so there is plenty of sand and water for the kids to play in. This is not the hotel if you're looking for an exceptional room. It's dated but comfortable. The sofa bed is definitely not comfortable at all, but even my sofa bed at home that is only a year old and rarely used is not comfortable. So we bring an air bed that sets up in a matter of minutes. Because of the young children we haven't tried dining out at their restaurant which i hear is pretty pricey but i have ordered room service and it's decent as far as room service goes. We love having the mini fridge and microwave in the room. We bought fruit for the kids to munch on and sandwich fixings and then had popcorn as we watched TV, which wasn't much! With the location and the weather you can't help but be outside! We took our own beach chairs since the ones on the patio are heavy and hard to move from the patio to the beach but our chairs fold are easy to transport. You have to come prepared to relax and the firepits aren't in front of every room...it's more like one to every four rooms, which we didn't have a problem until the one family said we couldn't share with them (my kids wanted to roast marshmallows) because another family was coming to visit them. I brought my 4 yr old inside crying but this was no fault of the resort. We could see the firepit from our window and their "friends" never showed up! But other than them, last year and this year we had no problems making friends! I like it better that way! But no one is bothering you unless you make contact...everyone is friendly, the housekeeping, room service and front desk personnel were all helpful and courteous and after 2 yrs there is no doubt that i would stay here again and recommend it to others! I just wish it was more cost effective to stay longer and come more frequently! I enjoy it that much!

Reviewed July 10, 2008

Soon after dropping your bags in your room/bungalow, we realized how similar this property is to a trailer park. Just proves marketing and location will do wonders to keep the hordes flowing in.

The staff - everyone was very nice and helpful. We even left some things in the room, called from home, and they're shipping our stuff right away. (I didn't expect to see that stuff ever again.)

Although housekeeping did not make us happy when, on our first night there, we found there was no bedding on the pull out sofa our daughter was to use. Housekeeping showed up 1 1/2 hrs later with sheets only. Then two ladies soon arrived with the pillows and blankets and made the bed for us. Thank god they didn't just drop the stuff leaving me to do their job and make the bed myself. This whole misstep kept our 6 y/o up much later than we'd planned. Not bueno.

The room - all the rooms are spread out around this large property, like little bungalows. That can be nice/cute but it results in a whole bunch of walking to get anywhere. And due to the bayside location and inadequate ventilation, there's a severe musty smell which permeates the whole place, especially your room. But the bed was okay and the bathroom clean and adequate. The lovely wife had a problem with the half dozen or so spiders she killed. I think her bigger problem was with the ones that didn't show themselves and take their punishment like good arachnids should.

We only ate at the casual Barefoot cafe, for breakfast. Pricey ($3.50 for coffee). After ordering oatmeal w/brown sugar and pancakes, it took us a long time to flag down a server to bring us the brown sugar and some syrup for the pancakes. It's very annoying when everyone at the table has to wait and watch their meal get cold while someone else is waiting for something that should have been there before the hot food was ever served.

Ducks and birds all over the place. could be considered cute. But duck poop all over the joint. The lovely took a nap in the room, left the door open due to musty odor. We were all proud of her for kicking out the duck that wandered in without calling security!

The pool has an odd green color to it. I think blue works much better for me. Except for the ponds they have with the scummy pondwater that looks like they've added Tidy-Bowl. That's the wrong blue.

I'd never go back to PP. Why would anyone? Go to a KOA instead. Next time it's the Hyatt downtown near Seaport Village. To heck with the Green Acres experience. Give me Park Avenue. New, clean, marble, 40 stories....I can drive to Mission Bay without sleeping there.

Reviewed July 7, 2008

We stayed here during a recent conference for three nights. Given the wide ranging reviews we weren't sure what to expect but we were pleasantly surprised.

The room was very spacious and the furnishings were more modern than we were anticipating. The bathroom had two sinks and a separate shower/toilet room. The only room complaint was an adjoining door that would make a loud thud every time the next door occupants opened/closed their door. We had a small patio in back that overlooked a stream - was a pleasant site to have lunch.

The overall property was very beautiful, with meandering gardens, lagoons and gardens. There are at least four pool/hot tub areas to lounge around in during the day. The beach overlooking Mission Bay is nothing special - I swam some laps there one afternoon but there is a fair amount of seaweed and muck.

There are a couple of restaurants on site. We had food prepared for our conference but it was typically of average quality. The views of the harbor from the conference/dining rooms were very scenic however. Also beware that there is a $15 fee to use the not that extensive workout room.

We found service at the resort to be not exceptional but good enough. One issue was check-in/out. There can be large buildups of vehicles at the reception area and long lines inside the building (automated check-out was not working during our stay).

The location is great for quick access to beaches, Sea World, downtown, etc. However there is no public transportation so a vehicle is needed unless you are willing to rack up expensive taxi fares.

• Stayed: June 2008, traveled on business
1  Thank rjc260
Reviewed July 6, 2008

Our stay at Paradise Point was much more pleasant than we had prepared ourselves for. The grounds (as commented by everyone) were beautiful, and the room more than served the needs of a family of four.

After having a very favorable bid accepted on Priceline, we became concerned after reading the negative reviews of the property. Thankfully, these concerns were unwarranted. The room was clean and functionally furnished. The staff was courteous and responsive. The mini-fridge allowed us to purchase groceries and do breakfast in the room - saving time and money during our stay. We did not sample either of the on site restuarants, opting instead for nearby, off-site establishments. Being just a few steps from the waterfront was an added bonus.

The location was great - convenient to Mission/Pacific Beach, the Zoo, downtown, and LaJolla. As mentioned in another review, GPS was very helpful to first time San Diego visitors.

Overall, a very enjoyable stay at Paradise Point.

• Stayed: June 2008, traveled with family
1  Thank Banker-Rick
Reviewed June 27, 2008

As a San Diego native and resident, I have seen a lot of hotels in San Diego and finally got to spend some time in Paradise Point. I have always been impressed with the lush landscaping and during Christmas when the lights and christmas tree are up, it is delightful.

However, the rooms are very dated. This means you get an older squeaky wooden bed, old furniture, a small TV and old bathroom fixtures (and the place smells). My wife and I both agreed that the room was reminiscent of those motels one stays in when traveling across the country.

The landscaping is nice, always has been. But thats about it.

Since our room was paid for as we were attending a company retreat, we had no problem returning to our condo at nights.

If you love motels, this is an expensive one you just might like.

• Stayed: June 2008, traveled on business
1  Thank Gary G
Reviewed June 26, 2008

Paradise Point may be the best lace next to Hawaii, but there is still considerable room for improvement. The nice aspects are tiki torches by the lobby and the restaurants, lush landscaping (particularly on Hibiscus lane), lagoon view rooms, and convenient access to the coast. Bikes can be rented for $10 hr/$50 day, there is croquet and miniature golf. There are 2 pools with waterfalls and another pool under construction. The marina rents power boats and sail boats.

However, there is no beach, but a bay with views of apartments and freeways. There are no chairs provided to guests at the coast, who are left with option of taking the patio chairs from someone's bayfront room - without getting caught. There also is an abundance of pine trees - and a shortage of palm trees - by the shore which reduces the tropical vibe.

The decor of the rooms are decorated based on a New England Hampton theme as opposed to a tropical theme. The red plaid couches, the colonial headboard and lamps and the (sparse) artwork on the walls all should be removed in favor of a tropical theme, like the rattan mirror and chairs in the rooms.

However, I love the spacious bungalows! The bathrooms are marble palaces and the bath products are of spa quality.

On Hibiscus Road, there are ducks in the lagoon in the day and skunks in abundance at night.

Baleen is a 4-star restaurant, with a $40 price-fix menu to match, except the menu was limited to steak, seabass or quail. I recommend the teak tables of the more casual marina-front Barefoot Bar & Grill. (By the way, the sand dance floor has been removed).

Stayed: June 2008