“Palm Trees, Pine Trees, Coast and Skunks”

Paradise Point Resort & Spa
Ranked #144 of 279 Hotels in San Diego
GreenLeadersSilver level
Village Green, Los Angeles
“Palm Trees, Pine Trees, Coast and Skunks”
Reviewed June 26, 2008

Paradise Point may be the best lace next to Hawaii, but there is still considerable room for improvement. The nice aspects are tiki torches by the lobby and the restaurants, lush landscaping (particularly on Hibiscus lane), lagoon view rooms, and convenient access to the coast. Bikes can be rented for $10 hr/$50 day, there is croquet and miniature golf. There are 2 pools with waterfalls and another pool under construction. The marina rents power boats and sail boats.

However, there is no beach, but a bay with views of apartments and freeways. There are no chairs provided to guests at the coast, who are left with option of taking the patio chairs from someone's bayfront room - without getting caught. There also is an abundance of pine trees - and a shortage of palm trees - by the shore which reduces the tropical vibe.

The decor of the rooms are decorated based on a New England Hampton theme as opposed to a tropical theme. The red plaid couches, the colonial headboard and lamps and the (sparse) artwork on the walls all should be removed in favor of a tropical theme, like the rattan mirror and chairs in the rooms.

However, I love the spacious bungalows! The bathrooms are marble palaces and the bath products are of spa quality.

On Hibiscus Road, there are ducks in the lagoon in the day and skunks in abundance at night.

Baleen is a 4-star restaurant, with a $40 price-fix menu to match, except the menu was limited to steak, seabass or quail. I recommend the teak tables of the more casual marina-front Barefoot Bar & Grill. (By the way, the sand dance floor has been removed).

Stayed June 2008
1 Thank christiki295

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (965)
  • Polish first
San Diego, California
Reviewed June 24, 2008

I had the opportunity to stay for a week at the Paradise Point Resort with my friend while I recovered from surgery. The staff where professional, courteous, helpful and very friendly. We had to cut our stay short by 3 days and they refunded us and charged us no penalty even though the hotel was full. I was so impressed that I intend to return for a holiday with the kids.
The hotel has no bad rooms just better. The garden rooms have great tropical surroundings, you feel like your in the rain forest. I would recommend the Ocean Front rooms if you have a choice.

The breakfast is Fantastic, the choice is huge and the quality is great.

The $22 parking fee (that they cut to $11 as we stayed a week) is well worth it your car is parked right outside your room just like being at home.We rented a car and got a sat nav with the rental... a must if you don´t know the area, there is so much to do and the shops are amazing sea world and the zoo are just a few minutes away. There is an outlet in carlsbad (15mins drive) that in fantastic, the prices are soooo cheap for all your designer gear. There is also around 3 malls less than 5 mins drive away. You can leave your car and walk down to the beach which is great. The room service menu is fantastic, there is everything you could every want on there and there are restaurants on site that are great. prices are very reasonable.

I own a 4 star hotel on the beach in Spain and I can say that I was very impressed with everything about this hotel. I have also stayed at many 4 and 5 star hotels round the world and found this to be one of the most enjoyable because of the super relaxed feel to the hotel, even though the hotel was full you felt like you had your own little tropical island and there is very little noise night and day. the staff where great they seemed to honestly enjoy what they were doing and enjoyed seeing how well they could do and how they could make it better for you. I highly encourage anyone planning on staying in San Diego to give them a try. You won't be disappointed.

• Liked — Big clean rooms, Make sure you go prepared... there is loads to but but you need to know what and where!
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled with friends
1 Thank glenn9999me
Merced
Reviewed June 24, 2008

We recently spent two nights at the Paradise Point Resort and would have loved to have stayed longer. We were in San Diego to attend commencement at UCSD. The location was great - close to Sea World, La Jolla and Old Town.
I had read the negative reviews and was concerned about room quality & cleanliness. Our room was very good - clean & in good repair. The grounds are absolutely beautiful - several pools, waterfalls, beach access. It felt like Hawaii. The Barefoot Grill Restaurant (on the property) served a wonderful breakfast with a view of the bay.
We had a few minor requests for extra towels and to have the outside light turned on that were dealt with promptly. The staff was friendly and very accommodating.
We would definitely look forward to staying there again.

• Liked — Beautiful grounds
  • Disliked — It is a large property & can be confusing to get around
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled with family
1 Thank MargeMerced
beverly hills
Reviewed June 16, 2008

I am not one who generally writes reviews as I have not traveled much recently and prior I almost always used AMEX Fine Hotel and Resorts, which are generally bullet proof for quality. Now I have a wonderful toddler and she was the priority. I looked at various options that would be easy to travel to from Beverly Hills. I thought Sea World would be fun and looked at around 15 hotels in the SD area including Gas Lamp district. When I came across Paradise Point I was excited that they had the duck ponds, as my daughter loves ducks. HOWEVER, I started to read the less than favorable reviews and became very concerned. I called the hotel and asked a bunch of questions. The agent on the phone was exceedingly helpful and I drilled her with questions. She satisfied my interest and I took the leap of faith. Great Decision! Amalie loved seeing the ducks. My schmoozing of the agent resulted in a very nice room upgrade at no cost. I expressed a bit of angst at the $22 car park charge, not that I can’t afford it but one principle, and they did something nice for me with that. There were other unexpected perks at no charge…and clearly no guarantee you will get the same, but I could not have been happier as my daughter loved the place. Also, they have chairs comfortably placed throughout the grounds to sit and relax, nice gardens, very nice staff and a miniature golf course we did not get a chance to use. The beach was nice for all of us as were the pools. The Spa looked impressive but no time for that with the toddler being the focus. Bottom line, I am one pain in the butt when it comes to hotel stay and I certainly will be back! Lawrence Vein

• Stayed June 2008, traveled with family
2 Thank lvein
london
Reviewed June 16, 2008

I thought it sounded good and 5star review nailed it but:
1. Rooms tatty - less than 3star standard.
2. Service arrogant
3. location (if you don't have a beach side room) poor - little better than a motel!
4. Not a lot around it to do...which is ok if you don't like doing anything!
5. Supermarket (only one small one which sold nothing!) expensive.
6. Pools packed at weekends...

On a good point has loads of potential and nice gardens - but not any better than 3star! honest!

• Liked — gardens
  • Disliked — ---- hole
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled as a couple
2 Thank tazzax
Atlanta
Reviewed June 9, 2008

I stayed here with my sister during a conference in early June. Having read earlier reviews, I was very nervous about the property, and our room in particular. We were very pleasantly surprised. Our bayside room was in excellent condition, and the view was stunning. Service at the front desk was friendly and efficient, and our conference facilities (and the food provided through the conference) were as good as others I've been to. I know that experiences can vary greatly from one guest to another on any given day, but I was very happy with my stay at Paradise Point and would go again. As to food costs, they were high, but that's pretty typical for a resort. I advise renting a car at the airport. It's cheaper than taking a cab around San Diego when you want to explore the area, even including the parking fee charged by the hotel. (Our parking spot was next to our bungalow door).

• Liked — Location - View
  • Disliked — Prices
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled on business
Phoenix, AZ
Reviewed June 9, 2008

Although the resort's landscape is lush and it's on the beach, we thought it was a little pricey because the amenities we were interested in, such as the putting green, tennis and basketball, were available for an additional fee. The rooms are charming, but old. Shuttle service to Sea World is not available, and hotel staff told us it was 1/4 mile away and about a 20-minute walk but it's actually a little over 1 mile away. We probably would've been just as happy staying at a less expensive hotel within walking distance to Sea World and the beach.

• Liked — The lush landscape
  • Disliked — The additional fees for some of the amenities
  • Stayed June 2008