“The Getaway!”

Paradise Point Resort & Spa
Ranked #152 of 278 Hotels in San Diego
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed March 14, 2013

We had a Bungalow (on Orchid St) on the bayside with a sunset view! We cannot put a price on the experience as we planned this much needed getaway. Being able to sit on the patio and relax and have a drink or two or three was great. So close to Mission Beach and Pacific Beach and a cheap cab fare to Downtown or PB. We will definitely come back.

Room Tip: Bungalow on the bay, room 329 picture perfect to a Sunset view,
1  Thank Noelle L

Reviewed March 14, 2013

Paradise Point Resort is top notch. It is family friendly. The private beaches are pristine. The pool is fun for all ages (I am talking about the main pool... they do have multiple pools too). The spa is so relaxing! My children really enjoyed climbing up the metal lookout tower, you can see forever up at the top. We have returned to Paradise Point and we have been impressed each time we stay there. The location is great too, close to Seaworld, and all the main highways. The resort is quiet and tranquil. The landscaping is pretty awesome for a afternoon stroll as well.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed March 13, 2013

This is our second time staying at Paradise Point and, as the first time, we were NOT dissappointed. The first time, over a year ago, we brought all four of our children and had a blast. this time it was just my husband and me celebrating our anniversary. The staff is very friendly and helpful. We like how it feels like you are on a secluded island and you can relax, take in the bay views, swim, play tennis etc,, yet you are minutes from downtown San Diego and Sea World if you wish to enjoy what San Diego offers. You could easily stay a week to explore Paradise Point and the surrounding area, America's Finest City!

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
Marco M, General Manager at Paradise Point Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded March 21, 2013

Jennifer, thank you for writing a review on your stay at Paradise Point, and congratulations on your anniversary! We appreciate your continuous business and you choosing to celebrate with us. As you mentioned, our island resort located in the heart of San Diego is the ideal destination for both family vacations and romantic retreats. We hope you will come back to paradise soon, whether it’s with your entire family or for a getaway for two.

Best,
David Hall, General Manager

Reviewed March 13, 2013

The hotel wasn't that bad. I stayed in a Lanai Premium Suite steps away from the Bay. I really liked the room. The decor was nice and the beds were comfortable. I had a private patio so it would have been very easy to relax. Plenty of space to go around for everyone. The only thing that I didn't like about the room was the bathroom....and the bathroom is really what makes it or breaks it for me. I felt like they forgot to upgrade the bathrooms when they upgraded everything else. The shower and tub were a little moldy and could use some new caulking. The smell wasn't pleasant either as it smelled as if I was in a musty basement mixed with lye....very chemically. Other than that its a nice place. Easy to get around as the Bellmen can move you around via golfcarts. Beware of the Barefoot Restaurant though, it sucked. I reviewed that separately and You can check out if you want to know more.

Big Question...would I stay here again? Only if I had too. I don't think I would use my money to pay for it. Convention wise, the food and service was great, the meeting rooms were great so overall a good place for a meeting.

Room Tip: Get as close to the Bay as you can.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed March 12, 2013

Took a one-night, mid-week break from Los Angeles with my husband and was very pleasantly surprised by the experience. We bought a voucher from Groupon and while the website does make the hotel look a little bit corporate focused, it actually felt like a holiday beach resort break, surrounded by water on an island. It was peaceful and quiet and each room is self contained. It is a great location to take children as it is walking distance to Water World. We shall take our nieces and nephew when they come to visit. There are also fire pits on the beach that you can light and the hotel staff came around with s'mores for us to use.

Room Tip: Ask for rooms that face the waterfront
2  Thank Ninna_B
Reviewed March 12, 2013

We just returned from Paradise Point after spending a week there. We are a family of six (age 17, 16, 11 and 7) and we were truly, truly disappointed. We booked directly thru their website and spoke with a representative from this resort to book our rooms. We, of coarse, needed to book 2 rooms as we were told there was not one room/suite which could accomodate my family. We were told "its the best deal, wonderful rooms". We booked and were given their "Garden Lanai Premium" rooms and before I go on, please let me say the resort is HUGE. You must expect quite the distance between your room and the pool or your room and the resturants or whatever you need. EXPECT distance. Well, the rooms were small, dark and in the middle of the resort. They looked over what I suppose was a built-out pond of some sort. We asked for an upgrade and they did move us to two new interconnecting rooms but we had to pay for this upgrade $50 for one room and $75 for the second room. So for one night we were paying over $350. Each room was tagged with a $19 'passport to paradise' fee for internet/basketball and tennis. REALLY. We asked if we could not pay this fee or only pay for one room as we were ONE family but no. The resturant? We went to Barefoot Bar and Grill and were tagged with an 18% gratuity. Why? "Because you are a party of 6 or more" We are not a PARTY but a family of six. We had to choose to sit 3 and 3 to avoid them tagging on $15-20 per meal for their own tips! So for instance....BREAKFAST cost us $94 dollars! uuughh. And for those interested - pools are small. NOT what is posted on their website. SMALL. We also inquired about having a bonfire and making smores? $45! You must PAY for the wood and then its $20 for the marshmellows, chocolate and crackers. This is NOT a family resort. Maybe to small families. But anything, anything on the resort is expensive. I would NOT, would NOT recommend this resort, even to my worst friend. Their employees at their main desk were quick and not approachable. The only one who reached out and was wonderful was Brenna :) and all of the men helping with the luggage were terrific.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
6  Thank knitswithcoffee

Thank you for providing us with feedback. We regret that you were disappointed by your recent stay. I am surprised to hear you did not feel our hotel was a good fit for your family of 6; we often host large families, reunions, and other groups who find our clustered single-level bungalows and connecting rooms ideal for their needs. Regardless, we apologize for not being able to accommodate your family to your expectations. We do offer various programs and amenities with families in mind, including our Passport to Paradise which conveniently bundles recreational activities into one flat fee and gas-powered fire pits for guests who do not want to invest in the wood-burning supplies. We hope you and your family will realize the unique experience and value that our island resort offers, and that you’ll return in the future.

Best,
David Hall, General Manager

Reviewed March 12, 2013

I had a very pleasant stay here the last week of Feb. 25-29th. The place seemed a little dated yet charming and the staff were very accomodating. Bike rides to the beach and some lolling around by the pool helped make my conference very enjoyable. There were some mix-ups with my billing but the Hotel went out of their way to fix things up promptly. A good spot for a small meeting or a low key getaway for a few days. The high price of parking and the distance to outside restaurants and shops might be a downside for some.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business