“Old tired hotel”

Paradise Point Resort & Spa
Ranked #150 of 278 Hotels in San Diego
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed November 23, 2012

I usually don't write hotel reviews, but I felt like I had to write this one. First, I'll say, I made a reservation about 6 months ago to insure a good thanksgiving weekend. When we arrived, we were assured that I had booked a 1 bedroom room, wrong!! We went to the room and it was a single large room with a bed. I went back to change rooms and the clerk at the desk (same one who checked us in) said he was sorry and got me a 1 bedroom with a view of the water, again, wrong!!! I went back to the desk and got my original room back. Not a good way to start out. The next evening (thanksgiving), after returning from a wonderful dinner off the grounds, we found the people from both sides of us with a picnic table blocking our view of the bay. They were drinking and playing extremely loud music. I called the desk to complain and it took 2 more calls for them to do anything about it. Unacceptable. They offered me another room, but at that point (1 1/2 hours later), I was done staying at this hotel. The manager said he was busy checking in other guests and left me hanging. My wife and I told him,when he did call back, that we were checking out. When I went to the desk, I was offered a free stay at the hotel some other time. I will never pay to stay at this hotel again. Besides the obvious hassles, the rooms, grounds and facilities were extremely dated and I have been coming to this place since 1985!!!

2  Thank Gary S
There are newer reviews for Paradise Point Resort & Spa

Reviewed November 21, 2012

Nice get away in the middle of San Diego. Cabana/Bungalow type of rooms with small patios for enjoying the tropical landscaping. The rooms are older but well maintained and clean. Great areas to just sit along walking paths and enjoy the views, birds and nature. Lots of walking and areas to explore. The gift shop is well stocked and has good line of clothing, etc.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed November 21, 2012

I orignally booked this hotel solely on the basis of its proximity to the Susan G. Komen campgrounds, which was the base for our 60 mile 3-day experience and where others camped. I had no idea what to expect, other than I hoped it was going to live up to its website photos.

Check-in for this footsore guest was an efficient dream, complete with upgraded room on a small lake and golf cart to whisk me directly to the room. Room service was on time and the food was excellent. All amenities worked perfectly and subsequent service during the two days of my stay was impeccable.

My only regret was that I did not have time to wander the grounds and take advantage of the many amenities. Although I live only 1/2 an hour from this hotel I would be very tempted to stay there again for a get-away with my husband, and would certainly recommend it to others.

Room Tip: The rooms are all 'bungalow like' in the style of one-storey and scattered throughout the pr...
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed November 20, 2012

Our stay was for a wedding, so the group rates were reasonable. We were upgraded to a Junior Garden Suite, which was spacious, with a large bathroom. The bathtub could use updating but the bed was very comfy. A nice, private patio overlooked one of the pools. The grounds were gorgeous and the resort location was convenient to to all San Diego points of interest. Both venues for the wedding events were lovely and the food was very good. This resort experience was a positive one.

Reviewed November 18, 2012

As a first time guest of Paradise Point, we weren't really sure what to expect. As our cab pulled in to the property, we were taken aback by the beautiful, lush scenery! We had originally booked a Lanai Garden room and our desk clerk instantly offered to upgrade us to a Lanai Garden Premium room. Gorgeous! Beautiful rooms, beautiful property, and the staff was amazing. We left after two days to continue our vacation in the San Jacinto Mountains, and over an hour away, we realized we had left a sizable amount of money in the hotel room safe. We called back in a panic and the staff was so wonderful. Phil offered to mail our money overnight (never once asked for us to pay the postage). We were still on vacation for a week, so we had him send it regular mail. And when we arrived home, every cent was in our mailbox. So impressed! We will absolutely be back again....and soon!

Room Tip: Lanai Garden Premium is beautiful, lagoon in your backyard!!!
1  Thank Kaitlyn H
Reviewed November 15, 2012

I've stayed here many times while in San Diego, both for business and on vacation. They remodeled the rooms within the last few years, which is good as many of them were quite tired. The hotel property really has a resort feel but is not really high-end as much as it is family-friemdly. The beach is a short walk from almost every room (and is far less crowded than may other area beaches) and there are lots of pools throughout the property, and there are also bike rentals, mini-golf, and tennis on-site, so you can stay on the grounds and still have lots to do. Sea World is less than a 2 minute drive away, and downtown is only about a 15 minute trip. It's not really convenient for business other than on-site conferences but makes for a great getaway if you happen to be in the San Diego area. It can also get pricey during peak summer months, as is expected, but you can find great deals and often get upgraded by going during off-peak times. Overall, I really like this hotel and hope to be back again soon.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank BaltimoreGuest123
Reviewed November 15, 2012

Californians are unique and wonderful people who live in a world full of beauty and great weather. Explore it. You won't be disappointed.
Next time, I will bring the woman of my dreams, and it will be perfect. I was there for a
conference, but my California friends were wonderful. I'll be back.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled solo