“Gorgeous place but Overpriced.”

Paradise Point Resort & Spa
Ranked #152 of 278 Hotels in San Diego
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed November 5, 2012

I was sooo looking forward to stay in this resort. I went there for a conference and stayed for 3 nights. The hotel is a 20 min drive from San diego airport, I arrived late at night and after checking in, I got a ride from a bellboy. Arriving in the room, the first thing I had to do was to turn on the heating, because of the cold. The room was not dirty, but there was a water leak from the fridge, and the bed was so tall and large, I felt cold and lost in there. Because of the flight and late arrival, I was thirsty and hungry, but there was nothing in the minibar and the room service was closed. Phoned reception and they said there were some vending machines for water. It is such a beautiful place, but sooo dark at night, that after walking for about 30 min, got lost! I decided to drink some tap water and luckily I had some chocolate in my luggage so I looked forward for breakfast next morning.
Breakfast was only served in one of the very crowded and slow restaurants in the hotel, so I decided to order in. For each order, they charge a supplement of $5.00, plus if you asked for a drink and main meal, it would be around $20.
Not much option as well. I looked forward to lunch.
Lunch was served in the conference hall, buffet style, very limited choice of meal.
Dinner was the only salvation, because we were all dining out!
So summing up, I really think it is a beautiful place, but they need to work on the food service and other facilities for business travelers. They charge a huge daily fee for setting up wireless connection. Even when you are using their conference rooms...
Conference rooms were nice as well. It overlooked the sea!
Service was very friendly and warm.
It does seem very nice for a wedding, with the breathtaking scenery....
But OVERPRICED! I would not choose the place for business.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank nleegus
There are newer reviews for Paradise Point Resort & Spa

Reviewed November 5, 2012

The first time we stayed here it was wonderful. We received a room upgrade (which I think most people do) to a Bayside Junior Suite. We were right on the beach. The room was clean and the staff was helpful. The last time we stayed here it wasn't so great. We booked a Bayside Junior Suite and a week before we were to arrive I received an email stating we were upgraded to a Bayside Bungalow. However when we checked in the not so friendly counter staff informed we there was an error and that I shouldn't have received the email and the manager was going to contact me. We checked into our Bayside Junior Suite, room not very clean, missing cribs (eventhough it was requested on reservation and mentioned again at checkin). The property is great for a family but when you are paying for all the little extras you should receive perfect customer service.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank shoefly
Reviewed November 5, 2012

We had seen this " luxury resort" advertised on another travel website and since we planned on visiting the San Diego area for a few days with our son and his wife, it seemed perfect for our needs. Alas it was not. In fact Paradise Point's website pictures and glowing descriptions offer an overly glamorized version of the reality one experiences. Not for one moment did we experience luxury. Run down brick bungaloes, unheated swimming pools, outdoor furniture on the " lanai" (code for cement slab) covered in bird dung...

In fairness, we got a " deal" which supposedly discounted the rack rate by 20%, along with some other perks, but by the time you pay the outrageous parking fees, resort guest fees, etc. it's still way overpriced for a fairly rundown place that has definitely seen better days.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed November 4, 2012

My husband and I stayed here for our 28th wedding anniversary. It was a great 3 night stay. We have already booked our room for 4 days for our summer vacation next year. While the rooms are not the most beautiful, they are very clean, beds are comfortable and the staff is amazing. The grounds are gorgeous. Who wouldn't love to have a beach island to vacation on? We will be back.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 4, 2012

I stayed at the hotel in October 2012 with my family, we booked in for 4 nights to see around San Diego. Overall found the hotel to be very tired, really needs some effort to bring it back into life as it is in a great location, just feel as though it expects visitors to be happy purely because of its cloes location to the sea. Found our room to be very clean indeed, but exceptionally damp, this may have been down to the location, aircon or the way the room is situated allowing the shower steam to come back into the room. Anyway had to move room as the bed was very damp. Found all the staff except one young lady on check out to be poor, dicussed the issue with the manager at the time to ensure he knew of my concersn and wrote on their feedback email I recieved after returning home. The stay at the hotel was not worth the cost and to be honest I will never consider staying there again. I have also discussed with British Airways as they suggested this hotel on their website.

Room Tip: To choose a good room I would suggest you find a differnt hotel.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
4  Thank JimGilmour
Reviewed November 3, 2012

We took our family there for dinner on 4th of July. Came early and met friends that were staying there in one of the rooms. The rooms look very nice and big. The place is beautiful we walked all around the grounds, and the pools and into the gift store and than dinner. The food was great (a little pricey). Every person we in met was very friendly and helpful they even gave me a ride around in one of the golf carts. Then we went and sat on the beach in the back with friends watching all the fire works around San Diego Bay. This is a place that I would absolutely love to go back to and stay for a few days.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed November 2, 2012

I stayed here on my anniversary weekend. We used points from a loyalty program and what a waste of points! I should have saved them and used them at a regular hotel. I read the reviews before traveling and I was scared but I had already booked the room and could not cancel without losing my points. The resort is aged and it shows. It is very difficult to find your room, even with a map. The parking charge is outrageous! The room itself was humid, sticky, the TV did not work and the tub was clogged. A very nice maintenance man came the next day to fix it. The bathroom has hardly any light so getting ready in the morning was difficult. We spent most of the day out in the city but coming back to the hotel was a chore. We didnt go to any restaurants/bars on site because it was just too expensive. An employee recommended a local bar (Cabo) which was great! The worst was the spa!! On my last day...I treated myself to a spa day. When I booked the spa, I was told my package would include a massage, a milk soak, exfoliation, and a coconut wrap which I thought sounded great! I waited for my appointment for 30 minutes then, I ended up with just a basic massage, the exfoliation consisted of powder being sprinkled on me, I soaked in a tub of warm water, and no wrap. $315! WORST SPA EXPERIENCE EVER!!! I left with a very very empty pocket and very very dissapointed. For that amount of money I could have been treated like a queen for an entire day back home in Phoenix. This was only 2 hours. I could kick myself for being duped into spending that much money!!! Wish our trip could have been better.....

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple