“Relaxing Experience - If you go ... take advantage of resort!”

Paradise Point Resort & Spa
Ranked #150 of 278 Hotels in San Diego
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed October 30, 2012

I'm a previous resident of San Diego that goes back a couple times a year to visit family and friends, so I didn't really do a whole lot of touristy things. I always try to stay at Paradise Point if I can find a good deal. First off, I stayed in a Premium Lanai Garden room, during October and they were running a sale during the non-peak season. I only mention this because I assume that someone staying during the peak season might have a totally different experience (good or bad).

Layout: I would make sure you keep a map of the resort, its easy to get lost. Its well labeled but it can easily get confusng since all the roads wrap around the island.

Staff: Were very nice and helpful, I had a few billing issues when I checked out that they waived for me and reduced the price. Definately a nice plus.

Room: Stayed in the Premium Lanai Garden Room, which was very nice, two queen beds, had a porch in the back with two chairs overlooking a garden/courtyard. In the morning there was a family staying across the way with some kids that were playing. It looked pretty fun. I'm not too picky about accomodations since I'm a camper at heart, so what may bother some may not bother me. Overall, beds were comfortable, bathroom had two sinks with the toilet and bathtub in a serpate room, and then a dressing room on the other side. Internet access was included in the passport to paradise program (more on that later). It was clean, and serviced everyday. Only had two issues (that didn't really bother me) - a ripped curtain that made it difficult to close one of the curtains, and some molding that was falling off, but that was in a small corner of the room. Again, minor issues. I will warn you that having been a resident of SD before in the PB area, since you have a door the outside it is not uncommon for some creatures (ie. bugs) to find their way in, this is a drawback of having a door to the outside vs a conventional hotel. But the hotel warns you about this with some literature on the nightstand.

Pools: There is a main pool, with several smaller pools scatterred around the resort. Now, since I went in October during non-peak season ( a good time to go because its still warm in SoCal from the Santa Anas), there were very few people in the main pool and basically no one in the smaller pools. The main pool was beyong great, it was heated and relaxing. There's a fitness center and a seasonal bar and grill in the pool area (it was closed when I was there). Other guests were friendly and respectful, but again in summer I can see this place getting crowded. Each of the pool sites, has a swimming pool and a hot tub, but the smaller pools are not heated.

Activities: OK, this is prob the most important. This is a great place for families and with stuff to do around the resort. The hotel promotes their "passport to paradise" which is basically a per day resort fee in addition to your room rate which is common among resorts, it includes free landline phone service, internet access, pool excersize, tennis, ping pong rentals and beach games (horseshoes, and other beach game rentals). Bike rentals and marina rentals are extra. There's also a minigolf course around the complex. So I mention this because I feel that most people might not take advantage of all this stuff if they are off-resort seeing the typical sites (Seaworld, La Jolla Shores). I would say that if you plan to just crash at the resort every night while seeing the sights everyday, then this is not the place for you. Your paying a resort fee, so you might take advantage of at least some of the stuff they have to offer. Also, this is a great place for outdoor waterspouts, you can definately lounge around but surrounded by Mission Bay, it really does cater to a water sport and active clientel.

Billing: At the end, you usually find out about all the stuff you are nickeled and dimed. So here is some of the other stuff. Parking is somewhere around $30/night, however I got it reduced for $20/night. There is the resort fee which is about 17-18/night I think. Again, think about all this when you look at your rate.

My takeaway: I highly recommend this place. It seems like a great place for families, couples and friends alike. I would say really not appropriate for business, at least, if you want to get anything productive done! I personally had a great experience, but again I went during a non-peak season and got a killer special too. However don't book if your not going to take advantage of the resort's amenities, like pool, water sports, beach and outdoor activities - book a conventional hotel instead. Like I said, your paying for this stuff anyway, whether you use it or not. Rooms are comfortable, but again your paying for the whole experience not just the room, so its not a Hilton, bear that in mind. ... Just a little advice from a former San Diegian.

Room Tip: Rooms on the bayside are louder, request a room away from one of the major pools since they can be l...
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank pennccrn
There are newer reviews for Paradise Point Resort & Spa

Reviewed October 29, 2012

Paradise Point has a lot going for it. The beautiful setting in Mission Bay, the grounds, the conference center, the pools, etc. The room itself was fine and worked well for a family of four. However, the floors were quite dirty in the room and were never cleaned (they did vacuum) while we were there for a three-night stay. Parking right at your door was convenient. The conference center is world class. Their casual bar and grille couldn't handle any amount of traffic without totally wilting. Overall, a little more attention to detail could really elevate this place, but unclean rooms and some issues with service took it down a few notches.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed October 27, 2012

We stayed in a lanai guest room in the hibiscus village accomadation was like a concrete block dark with patio door leading out to a small patio which was run down with two chairs outside it looked like they have never been cleaned,not as it looks in the brochure. however it was clean inside the room but very old. The hibiscus village backs onto a very busy road so you do get all the noise from the road.We were lucky we did not have to pay for parking as it was complimentary through our holiday booking so be aware.This accomadation would be ok just for a few days but not a 14 night vacation. Resturants are expensive so its best to go out.

5  Thank Trowbridge9
Reviewed October 26, 2012

Stayed a full week- just as a getaway for myself and my husband.

Pros- courteous staff & beautiful tropical grounds. As for restaurants, Baleen on property has some pretty good dishes and a great ambience with a nice view of the bay. At the Grille, the calamari is AMAZING. We had it almost every day during our cocktail hour. Food comes out really fast at both restaurants on property. Marina is very adaquate-has all the toys. The sundries shop is well stocked but very overpriced. I probably would have engaged in nice size shopping spree in this store if the prices in there weren't so gouging. Spa was nice- had a pedi and hair cut and both operators were superb. The pillows and linens were great at the time of my stay. The two separate dressing areas with separate closets for each of us were real convenient.

Cons- For rates for the more pricey bayside/bayfront Junior suites (we stayed in 502), it's not what I believe most are accustomed to (at least not in our opinion). No glasses, dishware, or flatware in the kitchenettes. No teas or honey, and only "two" single cup makers of coffee. The cleaning staff does come once daily and makes the bed and picks up a "little". They do not "clean". They do not vacuum or mop the floor when it requires it during your stay which makes it less comfortable to stay in. They do not wipe down the furniture or scrub the bathrooms. The furniture looks stylish at first glance (especially in the pictures) but for the most part is scratched and dented. There are NO ROBES, not enough Q-tips. The mattress needs to be replaced. There's outdated track lighting they really need to pull out. The shower/tub "really" requires updating for what you spend on these Junior suites. When they did the remodel, they made the mistake of not gutting them. When you own a property on the water, much more maintainance is required to keep mold and mildew from growing and I found the suite to wreak of mold and mildew and that's just not acceptable. We own a waterfront home in Florida and our home, now 17 years old does not have this smell. When you are extra diligent in cleaning, these smells do not creep in which means these are dirty and not well kept. I believe overall, a correction in cleaning properly is in order.

The paradise cove beach where most of the bayside/bayfront suites are, requires raking and clean up. I didn't even want to take my flip flops off and if we had children, we would not let kids run around in the sand...there is garbage and items on this beach that don't belong on a "private" beach. This is also really NOT for swimming either at least for my taste.

I have service average, only because of one bad delivery. They didn't have dinner to us in room for about an hour and a half.

Overall, for what we paid, we expected more. We travel allot and typically book the upper scale or luxury grade accommodations on the properties we stay at. And this didn't measure up to all of our other experiences at resorts when you choose this grade.

Room Tip: We were looking while taking a walk around the entire island and found to the right of the marina to...
1  Thank JenniferVaughn
Reviewed October 26, 2012

I've stayed here for 4 nights for a conference. Very nice place and tropical feel. Room was clean and bed was very comfortable. Beautiful grounds as mentioned by others. a lot pools and hot tubes but I only used one pool and hot tube. You will need a vehicle if you want to stay here cause it kind of isolated but then you must be ready to pay $32/day for parking. The parking and resort fees will not make us going back there in January.. The bell staffs were very helpful and super friendly.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed October 25, 2012

Lovely grounds but I would never stay here again unless I had a HUGE discount off the room rate. Room was oddly shaped, old and w/o plates, cups etc. in the kitchenette. Staff was helpful but watch out for extra charges esp. for overnight parking and "resort fee".

2  Thank hikerUpstateNY
Reviewed October 25, 2012

We were there in October at an unseasonally warm time. Had we'd known, we would have brought "pool gear." So many poosl! My husband and I flew in from Seattle and met our family who drove in from LA. We only had 2 nights to spend there and I wish it had been more. There is so much to do just on the property that we didn't have the opportunity to take advantage of. Next time I'd go when more of the summer offerings are still available on the property. But we did buy the Sea World package. Didn't have time to do much else.

Room Tip: We had our two sons, one with wife and family of 3 children who are 2 1/2.. We chose a bungalow with...
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family