“A very pleasant surprise!!!”

Paradise Point Resort & Spa
Ranked #140 of 279 Hotels in San Diego
GreenLeadersSilver level
Ithaca, NY
“A very pleasant surprise!!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 13, 2003

My wife and I booked a room at the Paradise Point Resort, and THEN looked at your guest reviews. Needless to say, after reading mixed reviews, we thought about canceling our reservation immediately but decided to "suck it up" and go anyway. Well, that was one of the best decisions we ever made. Our very private 'room' was one half of a cute little bungelow, literally a stone's throw out the front door to Mission Bay and private sandy beach, and a beautifully landscaped rear patio area complete with waterfalls and bubbling streams running right by us. The rooms were charming, well appointed, clean (no mold or ants anywhere!!) and very comfortable....reminding us of a quaint Cape Cod cottage. We couldn't, for the life of us, find anything to complain about. In fact, my wife, who's done alot of traveling and had many stays at resorts said after our first two nights, "I don't know when I've enjoyed a place more!" We are returning to San Diego during the Thanksgiving week and have already rebooked ourselves at the Paradise Resort. My advice (for what it's worth)....ignore the negative comments and find yourself a bit of paradise too!

3 Thank BrianIthaca_NY

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (949)
  • Polish first
St. Petersburg, Florida
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 23, 2003

We were supposed to stay in a "Lanai Garden" room. What we got was a room on the street with 2 chairs by the front door(room #316). The room price was $209, complete rip-off. Parking was $14 per day-another rip-off. The pool across the street from our room was smaller than a residential backyard pool--and very run down. We had booked a 5 night stay, but we checked out after the first night. What a terrible way to start our vacation!!

• Stayed August 2003
1 Thank tpriley

Travelers are raving about these San Diego hotels

A TripAdvisor Member
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 20, 2003

Well we had already booked the hotel when I found this site. My assistant had searched for places for the family and the original one we wanted was booked so we thought we would try this. Without a doubt the site and brochure stuff is way different than the hotel. Here is the summary: For kids, it was above average, the movies in the pool every night were cool, and the fun stuff for them to do. The biggest issue we had was a bunch of your Army boys in for the weekend it seemed drinking alcohol and smoking at the kids pool. No security and it was out of control. The hotel needs to think about the fact they have kids around and deal with security issues fast. The beach is nice and quiet for the most part. Restaurants leave a lot to be desired as a "family" type place. I sent my wife to the spa for 6 hours and she said it was probably one of the best ones she had been to..and she knows the best of the best ( bad for me). The room, well we went all out and had to bunbalows joining for our selves. Which with two kids 2 yrs and 1 yr this was great as we got to sleep. Ants, YES we had em...we read about this and we had them all over, they sprayed 3 times and we still had them..I guess when you are right on the water as our room was what can you do!! The room for the most part was very nice, big bathroom good beds, they need to improve the kitchen in the room, the room service ( we used a service 4 times like waiters on wheels it was AWESEOME!!! and way cheaper then room service!!!) overall we would think about going back but not for a long time, maybe after we tried a few more family style places..

3 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Vancouver
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 14, 2003

Well, I guess it all depends on what your idea of paradise is. We saw a lot of repeat customers when we stayed here in August 2002, so clearly it works for some - but not for me. Don't be duped, as I was, by the slick web site that suggests a serene high-end experience. Service, value and amenities here are really poor. The beach is ugly, the main pool is mediocre, and all the little pools aren't even worth a mention.
I want to especially caution anyone thinking of coming here with small children, as I did not find this place at all suitable for them. Of most concern are the roads that COVER the property (the lovely landscaping is only in the center, not around the units), with constant traffic and many, many blind corners. One step off our patio and my kids were at risk. Also, with kids, and limited restaurant options on site, seemed worth it to pay extra for a room (large and clean, by the way) with a kitchen - but only got a microwave and bar fridge. No cookware or cooking utensils and had to phone to even get some plates.
I asked for a refund on the "kitchen" and got it. Southern Cal. has way better options than this one - keep looking.

6 Thank schubeedo
Los Angeles, CA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 31, 2003

I had to organize a girls getaway weekend for 8 women in June and Paradise Point was at the right price and the right place for it. They were able to give us two bungalows next to each other and the accommodations were very nice. I recommend the rooms with the view of the back patio and the dressing room. It came in very handy! I only wish they were able to accommodate us at the spa.

3 Thank Beamblossom
A TripAdvisor Member
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 26, 2003

Having read the neg reviews on this site we were worried about staying here. We need not have worried at all. It was fantastic. We were on a world trip in july and august 2003 and stayed here last for 5 days. The room was very clean and smart with lots of accessories and it was just a standard room near to Mission Bay. The steaks and food in the Balleen Restaurant are excellent. The portions in the Barefoot Bar and Grill were huge and well presented.

Service was excellent although check in at 4pm is inflexible.

All told we loved this hotel more than most we stayed in on this long trip. We would DEFINITELY say IGNORE the negative reviews - this place is a tropical paradise and we think the bad reveiws are from people who want to keep it a secret really!

5 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Las Vegas, NV
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 22, 2003

This resort was just wonderful and I plan on going back next year and staying longer. This resort from the time we arrived, service was A+ and I'm from Las Vegas, so I'm use to good service. The rooms were very clean and private. Great place to take the entire family. I would highly recommend this resort for a wonderful family get a way. The views of the bay are magnificant. I went in Aug, so prices would be high, but as I have found, you get what you pay for and this place was worth every penny.