“Great place to honeymoon in San Diego.” 4 of 5 stars

Paradise Point Resort & Spa
Ranked #121 of 281 Hotels in San Diego
GreenLeadersSilver level
Salina, Kansas
“Great place to honeymoon in San Diego.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2012

We enjoyed staying at Paradise Point! When we arrived, the woman who checked us in asked for the reason of our visit and when we said we were on our honeymoon, she upgraded our room to one right off the bay. We loved being able to walk out the back door of our room and have the beach right there. Mission bay itself is beautiful, and in our experience the water is warmer and the beach is cleaner than the ocean shore (Coronado Island). What makes this resort special to me is that it is conveniently located right near downtown so you can get to anywhere you need to go, yet when you're at the resort you feel like you're on a tropical island. We liked the rooms, they seemed nice enough to us, and we liked that there are about 3 rooms to a building so you don't feel like you're at a hotel.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (888)
Orange County, CA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2012

Our family of four (2 boys, 12 and 9), stayed here to be close to Seaworld. We were in one room, one bath, w/two beds near a beach with firepits. The boys loved that part. The room was nothing special and needs more storage. But we were out all day & mostly just slept there so it was fine. It would be an excellent place for a family wanting to participate in the activities on site--5 pools, mini-golf, tennis, bike rentals, etc. but to use as only a place to sleep while exploring the area (SeaWorld, Knotts Soak City like we did), it was a bit too much to spend. However, the staff were awesome & kind, helping me out beyond the call of duty when I left something behind. A beautiful setting and I would definitely return, especially to enjoy the on-site activities themselves. We also ate at both restaurants, plus had breakfast delivered to the room. Pancakes were great! The food and ambianca at both restaurants were very good!

Room Tip: Our beds were kind of hard. Loved being near the little beach & firepits.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank lagunaticmom
California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2012

I had really high hopes for my stay at Paradise Point. The reason I rated it average was if we had paid $100-$125 a night, I probably wouldn't have been as unhappy as I was. It's an older, average place. We went for my cousin's birthday, and the first night there were three couples that had rooms there, the second night there were 5 couples that had rooms. My cousin got a bayside room, opening out onto the beach, and the rest of us booked garden rooms.

My experience started off on the wrong note. I checked in 5 minutes before our friends, who booked their room on the same website as me and paid the same rate. They were across the driveway from us. Well, our room was in the middle of the building, had no dresser, no walk in closet, and virtually no patio. The website promises private patio with Adirondack chairs. It was private all right. There was a large hedge separating the 3 ft of patio space from the driveway. Their website states that every room comes with "Views of the bay, garden or lagoon" I had a view of a big hedge and the driveway. Our friends, paying the same rate and checking in after us, had an end unit, with a huge walk through closet, a dresser for their clothes, a huge vanity top, and a very large patio that actually opened up into the gardens.

Right after we checked in we had to leave for dinner in Old Town and a Padres game, so I really didn't get much of an impression of my room other than the fact that I had no dresser to put my clothes in other than a nightstand, a 3 ft vanity top which made it necessary to store our toiletries on the shelf above our clothes in the closet, and a patio that was smaller than the inside of my car. Well, the next morning when I got a good look at my surroundings I was not very happy. Mind you even though we booked through a discount travel site, we were paying over $300 a night. Add in the $17 resort fee and the $32 a night parking, and we were over $350. The paint on my bathroom wall was peeling, the paint on the wall next to our table and chairs was bubbling and peeling, the hot water handle in the bathroom was loose, the bathroom door had black scuff marks on it, the tub didn't drain when we showered, so we ended up standing in soapy scummy water while showering. The area rug in front of the sofa needed a shampoo.

When they cleaned our room after the first night, they left a dirty glass on the coffee table, and didn't leave us a fresh glass on the vanity. Strange. When we were ready to leave on Sunday, i attempted to check out on our television. They do not offer it. We had to drive up to the lobby, and physically go in to check out. Huge inconvenience. So after standing in line to check out, the gentleman at the desk asked me how my stay was. I told him about my issues, and he was very apologetic. He waived our resort fee and parking, which was terrific, saving us $102.00. Then as I was speaking to him I noticed a placard to the side advertising their loyalty club, Destination Delivers. I had actually signed up for this when I booked my room. The placard stated that members would receive an upgrade at check in, and also late check out. I pointed out to him that I had received neither, and he immediately offered to give us late check out. I thanked him but told him that we were already packed any my husband was waiting in the car.

I will say that my cousin's room on the bay was very nice, it had all of the features our friends across the driveway had, in addition to opening up onto the beach. Overall I was totally disappointed in the quality of our room for the price we paid. in my opinion $32 a day for parking is ridiculous, as they have a parking space in front of your room that is reserved, and the resort is so huge that it would be tough to get your stuff to your room if you don't park there. If you don't use it, nobody else can, so I am not sure how they justify charging you an additional fee to use that space. For $350 a night I can find much more luxurious accomodations.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the end, with a large patio and a walk through closet. At least you will have some...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
    • 1 of 5 stars
    • 2 of 5 stars
Klosterneuburg
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2012

Well, we didn`t expect much because the reviews very mostly quite bad... but our welcome, the check in, even though it was late, about 9:30pm was fast and efficient and we, our children and us, got two rooms in one of the best locations near the beach and the pools, and they were with connecting doors, so we were quite satisfied. The rooms were big and clean but parts of it has come in age like the doors and the style... but okay!
What was really bad was that nobody accompanied us to our rooms and we kept looking and looking and driving, and all of this in a hurry because we were due for dinner before 10pm because then the restaurant would close... so it was a bit stressy!
Next evening around 11pm we wanted to order two glasses of wine to our room but the room service had closed already! The laundry was not returned the same day as promised. if someone takes a shower next door it is like a waterfall in our room and the hairdryer didn`t work properly... The shop on the premises though is nice. All in all a nice place, but needs a better managment!

Room Tip: 405 is right on the Laguna
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Isabel K
Marco M, Manager at Paradise Point Resort & Spa, responded to this review, August 31, 2012
Thank you for the review of your recent stay. I’m very glad you found the layout and location of your guestrooms to your liking, however it sounds like we missed the mark when it came to a few details and for this I apologize. I am surprised to hear that you were not shown to your room upon arrival. It is our standard that our bell staff accompanies guests to their room whether it is by taking you in their bell cart, or leading you in your personal vehicle. I’m very sorry for any inconvenience or confusion this may have caused, but I appreciate you providing us with this feedback so that we can rectify these issues for your next visit.

Marco Menzhausen
Resort Manager
San Diego, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2012

I was recently married here at Paradise Point in July! It was a great family-friendly resort to have my family from LA come to stay at. Even local San Diego family stayed here and enjoyed their "staycation". My parents had a bayside bungalo that the bridal party got ready in and then the following morning of the wedding, hosted a continental breakfast spread outside their room. The rooms facing the bay are great to invite extra friends/family over to hang out with you on the beach. The hotel itself is gorgeous and makes you feel like you are in Hawaii. I wanted the destination look wedding without having to travel, so this was perfect. We got married at Pine Hill with the reception in the Sunset Ballrooms. The rooms are nicely updated and decor is nice and goes along with the tropical theme without being corny. The hotel staff at points is lacking. We had to call 2 times to have dirty towels removed from the bridal suite and they forgot to put champagne and strawberries in our wedding night room. The property is spaced out over many acres and my grandma needed the golf carts to pick her up and take her from place to place as she can't walk far and one employees told her they were "not her personal pickup service" Really rude! Especially when they have the golf carts there for that reason and my family spent tens of thousands of dollars on my wedding there that weekend. The food is great there, and I love Barefoot bar and Grill. I do look forward to going back to Paradise Point as it will always be a special place for my husband and I.

Room Tip: Bayside bungalos are nice,but they will cost you! So amazing to wake up with your own beach steps aw...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Lindsay C
Corona, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2012

We will definitely recommend this hotel. The staff was friendly and courteous and the accomodations were lovely. We are already planning our next visit. This was a surprise for my husband and the staff went out of their way to make sure that our friends who arrived to spend just the day were able to locate us. We had a lovely bayside room and enjoyed the view and a bonfire at night. Very peaceful location and definitely 'paradise'.

Room Tip: Rooms on the east side near the restaurant offer parking for people who may just be visiting you for...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Homewood, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2012

We booked our vacation through a travel agent, and we were not familiar with Paradise Point, but she assured us we would be happy. HAPPY is a huge understatement -- even though we looked it up online before visiting, we were truly impressed beyond any of our expectations. My sons loved everything from the pools to the jet ski rentals. Paradise Point gave us a wonderful vacation.

Room Tip: We had an end room, which had a lagoon next to it -- wonderfully relaxing.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Teri S
Thanks for your glowing five-star review Teri. We greatly appreciate your travel agent’s recommendation of Paradise Point and are so happy you and your family enjoyed your week-long vacation in San Diego. There is truly so much to do on the island and in the surrounding area that a week is the perfect amount of time needed to fully experience it all. We look forward to seeing you again next summer for more vacation memories.

Marco Menzhausen