“Terrible location if you are a tourist.”

Hilton San Diego Resort & Spa
Ranked #91 of 279 Hotels in San Diego
GreenLeadersSilver level
“Terrible location if you are a tourist.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 19, 2011

This hotel is not centrally located. Each cab ride will cost 25 to 35 dollars to go one way to tourist destinations. Some of the staff was friendly and the hotel was decent. I expected more of what the pictures showed!

• Stayed February 2011
1 Thank AAwa
hiltonsandiego, Manager at Hilton San Diego Resort & Spa, responded to this review, February 24, 2011
Dear AAwa,

Thank you for your review of the Hilton San Diego Resort & Spa. I'm sorry you were not satisfied with the location of the hotel...we certainly understand and recognize that we're not located downtown or within walking distance to bars and restaurants. But we do feel we are a good central destination in San Diego which is easily accessible to interstate 5 and just minutes from downtown, SeaWorld, Coronado Island and the San Diego International Airport. I would certainly like to discuss your stay further to help understand how we could have met or exceeded your expectations. Feel free to email me or call me at jmccabe@missionbayhilton.com or 619-275-7976.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (685)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
San Diego, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 18, 2011

As local San Diegans, we've been coming to Hilton San Diego Resort & Spa for many years and have always had a fantastic experience. Even though San Diego is paradise, once you step foot on the property, you feel like you're in a whole other tropical destination. Rooms are clean and contemporary, service is superb and the dining is exceptional. We especially like the pool area as it's perfect for the whole family. Because of it's particular location, there are no other resorts close and the beach almost seems private since it's tucked away, behind Island. We can wait to be back...

3 Thank coryfalter
Dear cfcreative,

Thank you for your review of the Hilton San Diego Resort & Spa. We appreciate our local customers and thank you for making the Hilton your local vacation destination. While we are not located in downtown, we do feel we are centrally located to many of the area attractions as well as easily accessible from Interstate 5. Thank you again and we look forward to seeing you again soon!
San Francisco, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 17, 2011

We hosted our annual sales meeting at this location in January. The weather was great, particularly loved by our East Coasters currently living in inclement weather. The conference center is centrally located with a variety of room sizes to fit various needs. We had a number of role playing scenarios in which we needed to customize the layout of each of our rooms. They were very accommodating and instrumental in supplying additional furniture needed.

The food is NOT your typical "hotel' food. I cannot express how important this is when you're hosting a 5-day meeting. The onsite restaurants/snack shops (Aqua and Aroma) were nice options as well. Great wine makes people happy!

The hotel staff from AV, catering, concierge, etc., were always present, ready, and willing to assist as needed. A great bunch of high energy folks! It really attributes to the success of a meeting.

The beach front property (Garden by the Bay) was gorgeous and was the point location for our volleyball team building event. The food was catered by the hotel, again very tasty. The hotel partners with a company called Arrangements Unlimited. We used them to plan and facilitate this event as well as for ground transportation to bus our team to and from the Gaslamp for a night out on the town.

Lastly, after all that, you cannot come here and not go to the spa...I get relaxed just thinking about them!!!

• Stayed January 2011, traveled on business
3 Thank cocolick
Dear cocolick,

Thank you for your review of the Hilton San Diego Resort & Spa. We appreciate your feedback regarding the resort and couldn't be happier you and your attendees enjoyed their experience while staying at the resort. Thanks for highlighting so many area of the resort for guests to take advantage of and enjoy and I'm glad our beautiful San Diego weather cooperated for you. Thank you again and we look forward to hosting your next successful sales meeting at the resort.
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 15, 2011

I really liked staying in this hotel; it was clean, luxurious, wonderful bed, sheets, pillows. The only issue I had was that I was charged $25.00 for parking unexpectedly. I called down to the front desk in the morning after I saw the bill slipped under my door. They said I initialed it the night before. I stated I was never told I was being charged $25.00 to park in this hotel. It wasn't until I called Hilton, that the manager was kind enough to remove the untold charge. He was kind and courteous, but it wasn't the initial response.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank Galileo321
Dear Galileo321,

Thank you for your review of the Hilton San Diego Resort & Spa. I am sorry you felt misinformed regarding the nightly parking charge at this hotel which is comparable to other area hotels. This charge is prominently displayed on our hotel website as well as all email confirmations confirming your room. Regardless, I am glad the situation was resolved to your satisfaction and am happy to hear the remainder of your stay was positive. Thank you again for sharing your opinion with the Trip Advisor community.
Upland, California
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 14, 2011

The Hilton San Diego "Resort"...what can I say---I wasn't impressed. Overall, there is nothing inherently wrong with the resort, but it just underwhelmed me. First, off the pictures on the website made it look as though this resort was on the ocean proper. Yeah, I guess if you look really closely and read very carefully you will be able to discern that the water in the pictures is from more of a river that is located behind the hotel. Just know---this is not the ocean. The water is dead still and the beach isn't that great. Yeah, they have boats and things to rent, but the water is pretty unimpressive, unless you have never been to a real ocean before. The Hilton is located in the middle of a large park, as well, so there are plenty of people around and the walkways are filled with people riding bikes--not very nice to walk on (good for riding bikes though). The grounds look pretty nice, so I can give that a plus. The pool seemed too small for the resort, and though it was nice, is guaranteed to be crowded, all the time. This is a pretty good area to check out some beach bodies, however. I am a Hilton Diamond VIP and though I wasn't treated poorly, I never felt as though I was being treated any different than the average Joe, despite the hundred plus nights I stay at Hilton properties yearly. This is ok for a Hampton Inn, but at a resort I feel as though this is a bit of an insult. The hotel check in time is 4pm, which is fine, but I tried to check in about 45 minutes early, and was told that the room wasn't ready and that it was a nice room and that i should wait and they will call me when it was ready. Other people were checking in and going to their rooms, so I thought "this must be a really nice room and I am getting upgraded like I should be given my Diamond status". I wait till 4pm and they call me to let me know my room is ready. I go to the room and it is just a regular room (#406 on 02/12/11-02/13/11)!!! No different than any other Hilton hotel in the U.S. No different than any other regular room in the hotel, except that the outside area, which are nice and have a couch/bed thing, is connected to another rooms outside area, because we are a corner room! The building we are in is shaped like an L, and our room and the room next to us are on opposing sides of the inside of the elbow. So our outside area is virtually unusable, unless you like being that close to your neighbor with no separating feature (the rest of the rooms have a wall). That was a disappointment, especially after I waited thinking I was getting an upgrade to a "nice room". The room wasn't bad, again standard Hilton, but wasn't "special", I expected more from a "resort" though. It was particularly noisy, however. It seemed to have a "water running through pipes" sound that never ceased, even at night. Anytime anyone walked by and was talking we heard the conversation loud and clear, because the front door had qaurted inch gaps on all sides between it and the jamb. Not a big deal in warm San Diego, but not a good sound dampening system. There is only one restaurant (that I found--the hotel info book is useless), which is the same as any other Hilton. We ate breakfast at the restaurant, "Acqua" (Diamond VIPs get free breakfast, which is nice), and it was really pretty good, so I can't complain there. You will need a car, though, if you plan on eating anything that isn't $30 a course. I wasn't charged for parking, but you are normally supposed to pay, and so I give them credit for not charging me, I guess that makes up for any other lack of VIP benefit. We also were given two bottles of water at check-in for being VIP members, so again they did give me some benefits. This hotel is nice for what it is---a hotel, but as far as being a resort, just know that it has that title predominantly because it has a spa. I probably wouldn't recommend it unless you got a great deal and you just need a place to stay,---like a regular Hilton.

1 Thank Pharmarep1979
Dear Pharmrep79,

Thank you for your review of the Hilton San Diego Resort & Spa. We certainly try and exceed all of our guests expectations, especially our loyal Hilton Diamond members. I am sorry we fell short of that expectation on your visit this month. Given the opportunity I would love the opportunity to wow you on your next visit so I welcome you to contact me directly at 619-275-7976 to arrange your accommodations.
Everett, Washington
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 13, 2011

Arrived at check-in early and was warmly greeted by William and Angie. I requested and received an upgrade as we were celebrating our wedding anniversary for a 3-nt stay. The grounds are beautiful, much like Hawaii, surrounded by Mission Bay parks and walkways. The hotel is right on the bay with it's own dock with daysailors and paddleboats for rent.
Amenities within 10 min are SeaWorld, Old Town, downtown, Fashion Valley, and LaJolla. Very close to ocean beaches.
The only negative was an unhappy daytime bartender who was put out by being asked (as recommended by the desk and restaurant) to fix me a latte. He grumbled and went into the kitchen, returning with a small cup of unflavored latte, only 2/3 full, with the rest foam. The charge was $4.89.
The room was spacious, clean, and had a wonderful balcony facing the bay. We were not charged daily parking as thought. Checkout was a breeze.
We had small dinners but regular breakfasts each day. The food was very good. I would not hesitate to stay here again and would refer others to it.

1 Thank DFNizzi
Dear DFNizzi,

Thank you for your review of the Hilton San Diego Resort & Spa. I am glad William and Angie were able to make your anniversary special. In addition, we appreciate your candid feedback in regards to the service challenge you experienced at the bar. We have addressed your concerns with the appropriate staff members which should hopefully remedy this situation from occurring in the future. Thank you again for choosing the Hilton San Diego Resort and we look forward to seeing you again soon.
Dayton, Ohio
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 10, 2011

I would highly recommend this property. It is very comfortable, easy to access, and the staff is most accomodating.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled on business
3 Thank traveler0000043
Dear traveler0000043,

Thank you for your review of the Hilton San Diego Resort & Spa. We are happy to hear you are happy with the accommodations and service of the resort. Thanks for sharing and we look forward to having you at the resort again soon.