“Awful, do not waste your money”

Hilton San Diego Resort & Spa
Ranked #101 of 286 Hotels in San Diego
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed November 8, 2010

This is one of the worst hotels I have ever stayed in in my life. We stayed for 3 nights in October as part of a trip around California. If it hadn't have been a non-refundable rate I would have checked out immediately. However I also noticed that there is a $75 per person charge for an early check out so I presume I'm not the only guest that has felt this way!

The main reception area is fine and doesn't indicate what awaits you. We stayed in the tower rooms, or the tower block I should say as it looks like a run down block of flats! The lobby area of the tower is disgusting, dirty carpet, scuffed walls and the dreaded pebble-dashed effect roof. There was also a funny hospital like smell which I presume is bleach of some sort. The elevator was very old and dirty looking. The room itself was certainly cleaner and the sheets were fresh but the bedspread looked gross and I dreaded to think of the dirt on it. Needless to say it was discarded immediately.
Our 'view' was of the car park. Enough said.
The bar/restaurant is souless and uncomfortable with average food.
The location is dreadful as you are NOT on a beach as the description implies. It's on an inlet that I personally would never swim in. The pool was ok as an alternative but small.
You need a car to get anywhere and the taxis were expensive. They even ripped us off there too as one evening we tried to get a taxi and they told us to take a people carrier van of theirs instead as 'ot costs the same as a taxi' the van cost $20, the same return journey in a taxi cost $13. Also they charge $30 a night to park in their carpark. Again it's a disgusting attempt at extortion. The car park is large and spaces are not in great demand. It was more expensive that car parks in 5* LA hotels we stayed in on the same trip.
Would NEVER go back. Its not a hotel, a 2* motel. Give it a miss.

Stayed: October 2010, traveled as a couple
hiltonsandiego, Manager at Hilton San Diego Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded November 19, 2010

Dear CarmenD4,

Thank you for your recent review of the Hilton San Diego Resort & Spa. I am sorry to hear about your disappointment during your stay at the property. I have expressed your concerns to our rooms department about the condition of the public space, mainly the lobby and foyers in the tower building. We are located on Mission Bay which is not located on the main ocean. We do have a beach with fire pits, volley ball courts, full service marina, etc. I apologize that we did not meet your expectation and thank you for your feedback, positive or negative, so we may continue to improve overall.

Write a ReviewReviews (3,309)

Reviewed November 2, 2010

This Hilton property sits on Mission Bay in San Diego, very close to Sea World and just a few miles from Old Town. The pool area is very relaxing and the walk path just off the property is a great place to take a sunset stroll. The rooms have recently been updated and are decorated with modern furnishings. The only downside to this property is the cost for parking which is approximately $25 per night. As there are no other parking options in the area, all guests are required to pay the fee.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank mgaeta23

Dear mgaeta23,

Thank you for your most recent review of the Hilton San Diego Resort & Spa. We are happy to hear you enjoyed your stay at the resort. Thank you for noting how convenient we are to several of San Diego's best attractions. We look forward to seeing you at the resort again soon and thank you again for taking the time to share your experience.

Reviewed November 2, 2010

We stayed 5 nights at the Hilton on Mission bay drive. When our family of 4 (kids ages 7 and 8) checked in, they put us in room 330 (located at the dark far end of the complex) but a quick phone call and we were moved to a room by the pool just as we requested (610). The room was spacious, and the bathroom was fine. There were 2 comfortable queen beds with nice linens, a sitting area with a small bar sink and frig, and a nice patio with 2 recliners. There are 2 pools, one for very young children and the other a nice large pool with zero entry. The water temp in the pool is great. There were also a couple of hot tubs which we all enjoyed. We didn't check out the restraurants. We only went to the coffee shop - the baristas always greeted the kids with a smile when they hung out for their morning cocoa. The kids loved the beach area and the proximity to sea world. Parking was a ripoff but we knew it before we went, so budget for it. The staff was pleasant and helpful. All in all - a great stay.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled with family
1  Thank kneemac4

Dear kneemac4,

Thank you for your most recent review of the Hilton San Diego Resort & Spa. We are happy to hear your family enjoyed the room, pool and the service provided by our baristas. Your comments will be shared with the staff members for a job well done and we look forward to seeing you at the resort again soon. Thank you for taking the time to share your experience.

Reviewed October 19, 2010

From the very start this hotel failed miserably. The front desk employees could have cared less about customer service, absolutely no friendliness / interaction with any guest. The $25.00 a day parking fee and the $0.54 per minute Internet fee is a total rip off.
We arrived on a Sunday afternoon and went directly from our room down to the pool for a drink and a swim. The first thing we saw was a nice inviting big resort style pool, but then we notice a large part of the pool was full of ducks and their feces and dirty towels every where. So we skipped the pool and went to one of the two Jacuzzis. The whole bottom was nothing but sand. I know that the resort is on the bay / beach, but that is unacceptable from a four star hotel. So we then tried to have a drink, but not one of their pool bars were open. The only thing open was their restaurant away from the pool area. This is the reason we chose this hotel, for the resort / pool area on the beach!
The bedroom and bathroom was nice and large with a comfortable bed. The lanai door screen was completely torn up. There was mildew around the air conditioner / vent.
Also this hotel is on the bay, which is completely away from any restaurants, bars and or place of entertainment.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank PatrickHardy

Dear PatrickHardy,

Thank you for your most recent review of the Hilton San Diego Resort & Spa. I am sorry to hear about your unsatisfactory stay at the resort. We try our very best to provide the 4 star experience you expected and based on your comments we failed to meet that expectation. I have discussed your comments with our property operations staff in charge of the pool area in an effort to avoid these problems in the future. Thank you for providing your feedback as it will only help us understand our shortcomings and provide a better guest experience in the future.

Reviewed October 17, 2010

From the outside this Hilton property isn't very impressive. But once you get in the rooms, they were recently renovated and some of them have fantastic views. A few rooms even have a balcony w/a firepit and lounge chairs. The pool is wonderful as is the restaurant with a great buffet brunch. This location is great because it is 5-10 minutes to many different attractions i.e. LaJolla, Sea World, downtown. I would stay here again.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled with family
1  Thank SamsM0m
hiltonsandiego, Manager at Hilton San Diego Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded October 22, 2010

Dear SamsM0m,

Thank you for your most recent review of the Hilton San Diego Resort & Spa. I am happy to hear you enjoyed your stay at the resort. You are right, we do have unique rooms that have their very own fire pit on their room patio. I also wanted to point out that all of our rooms have a private patio or balcony, regardless of view type. I am happy you were able to enjoy the hotels amenities and appreciated our convenient location to many of San Diego's locations and attractions. Thank you again for sharing your experience with the Trip Advisor community.

Reviewed October 15, 2010

Fur coat & no knickers, costs a fourtune and charges extra for everything. Rip off £20 for parking but you can't get there any other way. Below average service ( grumpy waiter) food in the returaunt ok but over priced. I I've just toured the Californian coast and this is the most expensive and worst hotel out of seven others.

• Stayed: October 2010

Dear GSjim ,

Thank you for your most recent review of the Hilton San Diego Resort & Spa. I am sorry you found the resort out of your price range...and sorry we were not able to satisfy your expectations. It sounds like you spent an extensive amount of time touring California and you must of had a good number of experiences you could share with the Trip Advisor community. As it stands we are your only Trip Advisor review and I would encourage you to share your positive opinions as well for the establishments that met your expectations during your travels.

Reviewed October 12, 2010

I made the unfortunate mistake booking rooms at this so called 4 star, category 7 (according to the HiltonHonors website). When we first checked in at 4:00 PM (official check-in time) room was not ready. I booked a BAYFRONT room. What I was given was a BAYVIEW room at Bayfront prices. I am a seasoned traveler and I know the difference between BAYVIEW and BAYFRONT. Apparently the people at Hilton do not know the difference. My room was room 310 in the villas. It was on the side of the building, not the front. The so called bayfront view was blocked by a three foot cement wall so you really couldn't see the bay. The room (310) was a disgrace. Wallpaper peeling the bathroom, toggle on switch missing, lamp not working, tv reception crappy, floors dirty, sprinkler in hallway outside the room leaking, dark rooms. What a dive! They should be ashamed flattering themselves by giving a 4 star rating. I don't like being lied to and deceived into trying to convince me that room 310 is a BAYFRONT room and tried to charge me accordingly. The room is a BAYVIEW. After arguing with the front desk for a second time, the manager was called and also tried to lie and deceive us into believing this was a BAYFRONT room. He finally agreed to give us the room at bayview price, but still insisted the room was
bayfront. To quote Judge Judy "Don't pee on my leg and tell me it's raining."
The last night we were there we were upgraded at no charge to a Bayfront room. It was too little too late, since I was aggrevated from the start by their lies and deceitfullness. I don't think I will stay at a Hilton again. So much for their loyalty program, HiltonHonors. More like HiltonDishonors. What a bunch of liars and dishonest people. The only good thing about this dive is the location. Have since cancelled my American Express Hilton DIshonors card. Do yourself a favor and stay at either a Marriott or the Best Western on Harbor Island. Nice rooms, honest people and have more respect for their guests. Their rooms are also bright, clean and updated.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Ryost44

Dear Ryost44 ,

Thank you for your most recent review of the Hilton San Diego Resort & Spa. I am sorry to hear that you did not have a good experience at the resort. However, I will say as a result of your feedback we have re-examined our room types in that section of the resort and have reclassified that row of rooms from Bay Front to Bay View as we tend to agree with your assessment. I appreciate you offering your feedback and room number as it will allow us to address any outstanding maintenance and/or housekeeping issues. I truly apologize for your unsatisfactory experience and hope you will give us another opportunity in the future as I know we are better than your most recent experience.